Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

wchp
Luminary

@CyberExorcistwrote:

I updated to the newest firmware and it worked for a few days error free. I had an issue where I lost internet yesterday, and reset both the router and the satellite. This worked for a few hours. Now it appears as if anything attached to the satellite is losing internet. If I reset the satellite, it works for a while, then same symptoms. I have unplugged the satellite and currently don't have any issues. I'm going to leave the satellite unplugged and see how things are for the rest of the day.

This is beyond frustrating. I have been trying to deal with this since I bought the Orbi in December. There seems to be no recourse here....I can't keep these devicies much longer if this isn't fixed/addressed.

If someone from netgear wants to gather data, let me know. I have a wide array of devices (kindles, alexa, android, iPhones). I'm more that willing to help.

Have you tried generating a new backhaul password ( Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings > Generate Button and then sync the satellite up again? Only thing I could think of trying.

Message 276 of 762

They both were factory reset, and the satellite works initially after unplugging or resetting, so I dont' think the backhaul is the issue.

Message 277 of 762
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can confirm, we've begun pushing 2.1.3.4 available for auto-upgrade.  Feel free to upgrade using mobile app / WebUI.

Orbi Product Management

Message 278 of 762
wchp
Luminary

@wchpwrote:

@CyberExorcistwrote:

Now it appears as if anything attached to the satellite is losing internet. If I reset the satellite, it works for a while, then same symptoms. I have unplugged the satellite and currently don't have any issues.

Have you tried generating a new backhaul password ( Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings > Generate Button and then sync the satellite up again? Only thing I could think of trying.

So you say anything connected to the satellite loses connection to the "Internet" 

If you connect a laptop to the satellite are you are not able to get to the internet but are you able to connect to the Router itself on the LAN or ping it? I ask because that would determine if the satellite is losing connectivity completely or just a route to the internet. Why I suggested generating a new key.

Message 279 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

How long did you give the Satellite and system to configure itself after the ethernet was connected between the Satellite and Router? Need to give about 2-5 minutes.

Any external network switches in between the router and Satellite? If so, what is the mfr and model# of the switch?

@CyberExorcistwrote:

They both were factory reset, and the satellite works initially after unplugging or resetting, so I dont' think the backhaul is the issue.

Message 280 of 762
jgehlhaar
Aspirant

Dear Orbi Product Mgmt --

So the latest auto push you made broke wired backhaul for me.  Is that a known issue?  When do you plan to fix this?

- jeff

Message 281 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you do a factory reset then setup from scratch?

After setting up the Satellite on wirless first and it's working, then connect the ethernet cable for wired back haul, give 2-50 minutes for the system to re-configure for wired back haul. Should come back. Mines working as is others.

There any network switches between the router and satellite?

@jgehlhaarwrote:

Dear Orbi Product Mgmt --

So the latest auto push you made broke wired backhaul for me.  Is that a known issue?  When do you plan to fix this?

- jeff

Message 282 of 762

Message 283 of 762

@FURRYe38wrote:

How long did you give the Satellite and system to configure itself after the ethernet was connected between the Satellite and Router? Need to give about 2-5 minutes.

Any external network switches in between the router and Satellite? If so, what is the mfr and model# of the switch?

@CyberExorcistwrote:

It was up for over an hour. I have the router going to a Netgear GS108T managed switch, but I'm not using wired backhaul on the satellite. I'm just using the normal 5G. Clients show connected over wireless but they cannot get to the Internet. My laptop is a home run shot to the GS108T from my office and I haven't experienced any issues with wired, only wireless from the satellite.

Message 284 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Then suddenly stopped?

Message 285 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the Satellite and Router? Mines 40ft est.

Manual channel 48.

What channels are you using?

FYI, managed switches will cause problems with wired back haul if and when you try this.

orbi-lifestyle.png

Message 286 of 762

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the Satellite and Router? Mines 40ft est.

Manual channel 48.

What channels are you using?

orbi-lifestyle.png

Maybe 25' at the most. I'm using Manual Channel 48 and 11 for 2.4, had 2.4 set to auto, but tried this to see if it would make a difference. I just turned my satellite back on. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

Message 287 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

25 feet seems to be a bit close. Normal stand alone routers can handle this kind of range by themselves. You might see if you can place the Satellite at a farther distance. Also might test just the router alone.

Also try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Message 288 of 762
bsholbrook
Apprentice

Previous code was operating very well in our location without any conn3ctivity our throughput related issues that were recongnizd.  We are in fact heavy consumers of tv service streaming, home automation, and security video streaming.  All items which rely of solid network connectivity and performance.  While I probably should have left alone, I have now had this firmware running for 72 hours and am seeing several things:

-have had several different nest cams drop off the network for a 5-10 minute timespan, at least 3 total incidents which are more than just a fluke.

-iPad web browser requests stop, have to restart ipad to resume browsing

-ecobee drops out of HomeKit preventing operation and control from HomeKit

For us the last released firmware provided solid performance with none of the above issues, While these aren’t huge issues they are frustrating nuisances and not something you want to see ongoing.

Message 289 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a factory reset performed on the router and satellite(s) after the upgrade was processed then set up from scratch?

Whats the distances between the router and satellite?

After doing a factory set and if the problem continues, try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and see how it goes.

@bsholbrookwrote:

Previous code was operating very well in our location without any conn3ctivity our throughput related issues that were recongnizd.  We are in fact heavy consumers of tv service streaming, home automation, and security video streaming.  All items which rely of solid network connectivity and performance.  While I probably should have left alone, I have now had this firmware running for 72 hours and am seeing several things:

-have had several different nest cams drop off the network for a 5-10 minute timespan, at least 3 total incidents which are more than just a fluke.

-iPad web browser requests stop, have to restart ipad to resume browsing

-ecobee drops out of HomeKit preventing operation and control from HomeKit

For us the last released firmware provided solid performance with none of the above issues, While these aren’t huge issues they are frustrating nuisances and not something you want to see ongoing.

Message 290 of 762

@FURRYe38wrote:

25 feet seems to be a bit close. Normal stand alone routers can handle this kind of range by themselves. You might see if you can place the Satellite at a farther distance. Also might test just the router alone.

MIMO and Fast Roaming were already off. I turned off Daisy Chain. It might be a bit farther than 25 feet. Nonetheless, when I have my satellite off, I get a lot of 2.4G connections. With it on everything above the basement gets on 5G. I also reset the backhaul password.

I see they are releasing 2.1.3.4. I thought this was beta? Did they not change anything from the beta software, and just release it? If that's the case, the beta software is the real software as there are no revision changes based on the numbering.

Message 291 of 762
larryindublin
Luminary

"I see they are releasing 2.1.3.4. I thought this was beta? Did they not change anything from the beta software, and just release it? If that's the case, the beta software is the real software as there are no revision changes based on the numbering."

Yes, that really disappointed me. No issues at ALL to fix in this Beta. Problem solved. All is good.
Message 292 of 762
bsholbrook
Apprentice

Not intending to be repeatitive here, but for clarity both the connectivity and performance of the system were working as expected prior to this release.  Homekit and Cameras remained connected and fully operational 24x7 for months. The only changes that were made were the firmware upgrades.  I've gone through another factory reset and setup post firmware upgrade to make certain nothing was overlooked. I'll monitor over the coming days.

I'm certainly not support for the product, but I would assume many elements could be ruled out given that the system was fully functioning system prior to the firmware update.  One of these I would think would be satelite placement?

For the time being beamforming, mu-mio- and fast roaming are all turned off.  Previously when things operated as expected these were all turned on.  It is aggrevating to recieve recommendations to turn off functionality that differentiates this product from others.  We've paid a premium to use these elements, not turn them off.

Message 293 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Beamforming can be enabled by itself to see if it helps with signals and devices. I have this enabled and is working for me. If you don't have any MIMO supporting devices, then this can be disabled. I only have one devices that supports it however I disable it and all works ok for my setup. Daisy Chain is used for what it sounds like. Piggy backing one satellite of another. If you only have 1 satellite or maybe two satellites that are directly connected to the router and not piggy backing each other, then disable Daisy Chain. As for Fast Roaming, you'll have to see if this works for your devices or not when you move about in your home. This also depends on how devices are designed to roam as well. Some may not be as good as others. Some of, or all of these features don't always necessarily have to be always enabled.

Placement is crucial of course, also so is building materials. There is about 40ft between my router and satellite and about 3 wooden walls in between. Also having them too close could cause problems as well.

@bsholbrookwrote:

Not intending to be repeatitive here, but for clarity both the connectivity and performance of the system were working as expected prior to this release.  Homekit and Cameras remained connected and fully operational 24x7 for months. The only changes that were made were the firmware upgrades.  I've gone through another factory reset and setup post firmware upgrade to make certain nothing was overlooked. I'll monitor over the coming days.

I'm certainly not support for the product, but I would assume many elements could be ruled out given that the system was fully functioning system prior to the firmware update.  One of these I would think would be satelite placement?

For the time being beamforming, mu-mio- and fast roaming are all turned off.  Previously when things operated as expected these were all turned on.  It is aggrevating to recieve recommendations to turn off functionality that differentiates this product from others.  We've paid a premium to use these elements, not turn them off.

Message 294 of 762
cyphers72
Initiate

Started off a month ago with a perfectly functional system with 4 Apple Airport Extreme access points. My network has its own router, switches, etc. All I was looking for is a system that was more flexible to provide Wi-Fi in more places around the home. So first I had to replace the 4 wired access points. I think I read there was some limit on Satellites so I started with just 3 thinking maybe the device range could compensate until I added more after initial testing.

Got RBK50 and one RBS50 (for a total of 3 components). Wired them all. This was ~17 days ago so didn't realize this was all broken. Unwired everything and postponed project waiting for new firmware. Installed 2.1.3.4 last week. Wired everything. Each RBS50 connects back to the main switch. The RBK50 is connected to the same switch. So I have 2 problems now.

1. The first RBS50 seems to work fine and reports as Good and Wired. The second does not. It flips between multiple states. Initially I saw Wired/Poor for a while. Disconnected an Arlo Hub that I had plugged into a spare port on it. Restarted it. Now it seems to be sticking with 5G/Good. Not using wired even though it is wired. I have nothing else (other than the switch line) plugged into the first RBS that does work so the difference here is a mystery.

2. The RBK50 always has a purple light on top. For no reason. Despite connections through it working perfectly fine and uptime on the main connection and router has been 100%, it's always purple. This is concerning.

I'd like to get these resolved, and time is running out. The last thing I want is to return all of this, but I only have a few more days. At least #1 must be solved before then to verify that each component has a proper wired connection after which I need to do final speed testing and range testing before deciding to stick with this.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 295 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you ugprade to this version of FW? v2.1.3.4? If so, did you do a factory reset on all devices then set up from scratch?

How big is your home? SqFt?

What is the distance between the router and Satellite(s)?

@cyphers72wrote:

Started off a month ago with a perfectly functional system with 4 Apple Airport Extreme access points. My network has its own router, switches, etc. All I was looking for is a system that was more flexible to provide Wi-Fi in more places around the home. So first I had to replace the 4 wired access points. I think I read there was some limit on Satellites so I started with just 3 thinking maybe the device range could compensate until I added more after initial testing.

Got RBK50 and one RBS50 (for a total of 3 components). Wired them all. This was ~17 days ago so didn't realize this was all broken. Unwired everything and postponed project waiting for new firmware. Installed 2.1.3.4 last week. Wired everything. Each RBS50 connects back to the main switch. The RBK50 is connected to the same switch. So I have 2 problems now.

1. The first RBS50 seems to work fine and reports as Good and Wired. The second does not. It flips between multiple states. Initially I saw Wired/Poor for a while. Disconnected an Arlo Hub that I had plugged into a spare port on it. Restarted it. Now it seems to be sticking with 5G/Good. Not using wired even though it is wired. I have nothing else (other than the switch line) plugged into the first RBS that does work so the difference here is a mystery.

2. The RBK50 always has a purple light on top. For no reason. Despite connections through it working perfectly fine and uptime on the main connection and router has been 100%, it's always purple. This is concerning.

I'd like to get these resolved, and time is running out. The last thing I want is to return all of this, but I only have a few more days. At least #1 must be solved before then to verify that each component has a proper wired connection after which I need to do final speed testing and range testing before deciding to stick with this.

Message 296 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I don't think they changed any thing in the beta v2.1.3.4. They wanted to give some users the chance to work with it and it's seems to have better experiences. So I presume they just officially made it official version is all.

@CyberExorcistwrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

MIMO and Fast Roaming were already off. I turned off Daisy Chain. It might be a bit farther than 25 feet. Nonetheless, when I have my satellite off, I get a lot of 2.4G connections. With it on everything above the basement gets on 5G. I also reset the backhaul password.

I see they are releasing 2.1.3.4. I thought this was beta? Did they not change anything from the beta software, and just release it? If that's the case, the beta software is the real software as there are no revision changes based on the numbering.

Message 297 of 762
cyphers72
Initiate

I upgraded to the 2.1.3.4 in the OP of this thread. I did not do a factory reset *after* I upgraded to that firmware. I did try that on a prior release, probably the one it shipped with.

Home is 4,200 sqft, but has 3 levels and some metal in the walls so notable issues with Wi-Fi which is why in the past I used 3-4 access points and why I want each unit wired.

Distance from Router to *broken* sat: ~25 feet, should also have very good wireless connection.

Distance from Router to *working* sat: ~60 feet, should have very poor wireless connection.

All wired connections are Gigabit Ethernet.

Message 298 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I would test with the other Satellites turned off accept for this one thats closer to see if it works alone with the router. Need to narrow down if this is a Satellite issue or FW issue. If this works alone with out the others then maybe a FW issue. If it doesn't, maybe a Satellite unit issue.

Ya, seeing issues with just upgrading FW and not doing a factory reset. Some problems are continuing. I found a bug in there FW. Got new FW which it was supposed to be fixed. I had to do a full factory reset with router and then saw the fix. Even putting the older config file on the new FW broke the operation of the router. So my advice to all. Factory reset after upgrading FW. I know its a pain to set up from scratch again. I've reported this behavior to NG for reivew.

@cyphers72wrote:

I upgraded to the 2.1.3.4 in the OP of this thread. I did not do a factory reset *after* I upgraded to that firmware. I did try that on a prior release, probably the one it shipped with.

Home is 4,200 sqft, but has 3 levels and some metal in the walls so notable issues with Wi-Fi which is why in the past I used 3-4 access points and why I want each unit wired.

Distance from Router to *broken* sat: ~25 feet, should also have very good wireless connection.

Distance from Router to *working* sat: ~60 feet, should have very poor wireless connection.

All wired connections are Gigabit Ethernet.

Message 299 of 762
Brain29
Apprentice

@CyberExorcistwrote:

I updated to the newest firmware and it worked for a few days error free. I had an issue where I lost internet yesterday, and reset both the router and the satellite. This worked for a few hours. Now it appears as if anything attached to the satellite is losing internet. If I reset the satellite, it works for a while, then same symptoms. I have unplugged the satellite and currently don't have any issues. I'm going to leave the satellite unplugged and see how things are for the rest of the day.

This is beyond frustrating. I have been trying to deal with this since I bought the Orbi in December. There seems to be no recourse here....I can't keep these devicies much longer if this isn't fixed/addressed.

If someone from netgear wants to gather data, let me know. I have a wide array of devices (kindles, alexa, android, iPhones). I'm more than willing to help.

exact same thing happing to me - works great for a few days then random lag then the router locks up and all my devices lose dns (wired before wireless sometimes weird)  

Message 300 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7