Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

joelinho
Apprentice

Re: FACTORY RESETS AND SET UP FROM SCRATCH ARE NEEDED FOR BETA BUILDS

Perhaps I have missunderstood what this thread is about. What is this beta firmware you are discussing?

2.1.3 something. 

My system auto updated to Firmware Version 2.1.3.4 and I assume that is an official version. Does it have anything to do with this beta firmware?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 351 of 762
eljarviso
Luminary

"Provides protection for the MDNS packet flood issue"

Please check into this protection.  Since installing this firmware I'm having nothing but problems with Apple Homekit devices that connect via Wifi/Ethernet (bluetooth devices that connect to my appletv homekit hub are OK).  The devices flap between "No Response" and online in the Home app.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 352 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes this is a beta. Some received this via auto update.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584/highlight/true#M26234

Was probably mistakingly put up on the auto update servers. It's been removed. Please do a factory reset on the Orbi system and set up from scratch if you haven't already.

@joelinhowrote:

Perhaps I have missunderstood what this thread is about. What is this beta firmware you are discussing?

2.1.3 something. 

My system auto updated to Firmware Version 2.1.3.4 and I assume that is an official version. Does it have anything to do with this beta firmware?

Message 353 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version were you using before?

Has a factory reset been performed after you updated to this Beta? If not, please factory reset both router and Satellite(s) then setup from scratch.

@eljarvisowrote:

"Provides protection for the MDNS packet flood issue"

Please check into this protection.  Since installing this firmware I'm having nothing but problems with Apple Homekit devices that connect via Wifi/Ethernet (bluetooth devices that connect to my appletv homekit hub are OK).  The devices flap between "No Response" and online in the Home app.

Message 354 of 762
eljarviso
Luminary

Already did a factory reset.  I was using whatever the last stable 2.0 firmware was.  With all the **bleep**ing around i've had to do with this piece of **bleep** i'm thinking of grabbing an old Cisco ASA5505 from work and using the Orbis strictly in AP mode.

Message 355 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Can let us know if that resolves your issue. Or revert back to last working version of FW.

@eljarvisowrote:

Already did a factory reset.  I was using whatever the last stable 2.0 firmware was.  With all the **bleep**ing around i've had to do with this piece of **bleep** i'm thinking of grabbing an old Cisco ASA5505 from work and using the Orbis strictly in AP mode.

Message 356 of 762
bsholbrook
Apprentice

All of these options are already turned off
Message 357 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I would revert back to what was working then. Reset and set up from scratch.

@bsholbrookwrote:
All of these options are already turned off

Message 358 of 762
eljarviso
Luminary

Same problem.  I'm going to revert back to last stable i was using 2.1.2.18.

@FURRYe38wrote:

Can let us know if that resolves your issue. Or revert back to last working version of FW.

@eljarvisowrote:

Message 359 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Let us know if it fixes your problem. I would contact NG support about this and let them know. Might send a PM to the forum moderators on here as well.

Good Luck.

@eljarvisowrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

@eljarvisowrote:

Message 360 of 762
wchp
Luminary

@FURRYe38wrote:

Yes this is a beta. Some received this via auto update.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584/highlight/true#M26234

Was probably mistakingly put up on the auto update servers. It's been removed. Please do a factory reset on the Orbi system and set up from scratch if you haven't already.

@joelinhowrote:

2.1.3 something. 

I am a little bit confused.

Yes, when first released V2.1.3.4 was indicated to be a "beta" version.

However, Netgear now lists it as the "Curren Version" on the public facing support webpage: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

I do find it a little unusual for a company to have a beta version and production version with the same number.

What is not clear, is if there were any changes from the release that was made available to us as a "Beta" and the now posted "Current Version" on the support website. 

I do not find it unusual for the software to be available on the support page but not indicated or available for auto update. There has seemed to always be a 1-2 day lag on that. 

Message 361 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe. Things are still in flux. Its not like it's the end of FW releases either. More to come I presume. Factory resets still needed though to be sure. I was told eventually, resets should not be needed.

Message 362 of 762
larryindublin
Luminary

I did a FC /b on the firmware I had downloaded a few weeks back to the one just posted and they are identical.

Message 363 of 762
eljarviso
Luminary

Downgraded firmware and didn't do a factory reset and everything is back to normal.  HomeKit Ethernet/Wifi device queries occur instantly.  This is running the Orbi in full router mode.  This pretty much confirms 2.1.3.4 borks HomeKit mDNS.

@FURRYe38wrote:

Ok. Let us know if it fixes your problem. I would contact NG support about this and let them know. Might send a PM to the forum moderators on here as well.

Good Luck.

@eljarvisowrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

@eljarvisowrote:

Message 364 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know.

@eljarvisowrote:

Downgraded firmware and didn't do a factory reset and everything is back to normal.  HomeKit Ethernet/Wifi device queries occur instantly.  This is running the Orbi in full router mode.  This pretty much confirms 2.1.3.4 borks HomeKit mDNS.

Message 365 of 762
ktoonsez
Star

Seems like not a lot of people reporting good things so I will again.  I am now on day 12 of everything being perfect, not 1 single issue with the router or my 2 satelites.  All my devices are Windows PC's (1 wired, 2 wireless), 4 Samsung TV's, and 2 android devices and not 1 issue with any of them.   After reading the last 11 pages from my last post, still seeing everybody talking about problems and mentioning specific devices all have Apple products Smiley Frustrated

Message 366 of 762
rhester72
Virtuoso

AP mode, 8 hours 29 minutes after upgrade to v2.1.3.4, all was well until the system rebooted itself.  Falling back to stable.

Message 367 of 762
DezM
Star

When are you guys finally going to support hard drive or flash drive support on the USB port? Would love to stream media off of it via ReadyShare

Message 368 of 762
wchp
Luminary

@DezMwrote:

When are you guys finally going to support hard drive or flash drive support on the USB port? Would love to stream media off of it via ReadyShare

This kind of thing tends to get lost in a thread like this. Start a new post and Title it FEATURE REQUEST and then others will give it a Thumbs Up to support the idea.

I just started a new one for a radio button to disable automatic firmware updates. See here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/FEATURE-REQUEST-Ability-to-DISABLE-firmware-auto-update/m-p/15...

Message 369 of 762
DezM
Star

I have in the past (Aug, 2017) only to get generic response and null response from Netgear. I'm still waiting and directed my question to the OP @AmitR who appears to work for Netgear.

Message 370 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What generic response did you recieve?

@DezMwrote:

I have in the past (Aug, 2017) only to get generic response and null response from Netgear. I'm still waiting and directed my question to the OP @AmitR who appears to work for Netgear.

Message 371 of 762
DezM
Star

"It may or may not come in future updates".

Love the system. It just works here in my home but miss the ability to stream media off my USB connected drive via ReadyShare. I've owned Netgear & Linksys routers that offered this support

Message 372 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I know, other Mfrs have this. Not sure what thinking was behind not having this feature for users. I'm sure there is some security reasons behind it. Still, rather have the abililty to choose. Smiley Frustrated

Message 373 of 762

Hi Furry ... just some feedback. I was assuming that the orbi stability issues were the cause of my printer disconnecting. Wasn’t able to fix it by the latest beta which fixed all other stability issues. Solved by resetting the HP Officejet 6968 to factory condition and removing and reinstalling software. All A-ok now ... no longer disconnecting.
Message 374 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome, glad it was the printer config. Seems like some things needs a reset. LOL.

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Chairman007wrote:
Hi Furry ... just some feedback. I was assuming that the orbi stability issues were the cause of my printer disconnecting. Wasn’t able to fix it by the latest beta which fixed all other stability issues. Solved by resetting the HP Officejet 6968 to factory condition and removing and reinstalling software. All A-ok now ... no longer disconnecting.

Message 375 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7