Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router and satellite(s) after the FW update? If not, try this.

@tizmagikwrote:
I’ve tried this firmware for a few days now and while the dropped internet connections have seemed to stop happening I am now noticing intermittent bandwidth issues. I notice it mostly when watching YouTube TV via my Apple TV 4th Gen. It will go from crystal clear 1080 HD to a really abysmal pixelated picture for a few seconds then jump back to clear HD. It happens about once every 5-10 minutes.

Here’s hoping the next version addresses this issue. Happy to also help by providing any logs or anything if that would be useful.

Message 401 of 762
tizmagik
Guide

Thanks for the reply. I did factory reset the Satellite but not the Router. I will try that when I get a chance, although it’s a shame if that were to be necessary 😞
Message 402 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, some are having luck with out having to reset. Some, have to reset it all.

@tizmagikwrote:
Thanks for the reply. I did factory reset the Satellite but not the Router. I will try that when I get a chance, although it’s a shame if that were to be necessary 😞

Message 403 of 762
rugbydman
Aspirant

Hi. Does anyone know if this update allows the character ‘ in the ssid name?

Message 404 of 762
splogue
Tutor

Where is the new firmware for the RBR50Y (outdoor) satellite? I looked through the list, but that one doesn't seem to be covered.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 405 of 762
bryandmlee
Apprentice

Hi @FURRYe38, I want to put my Orbi in router mode (currently in AP mode) but I have a mandatory ISP-issued router, which I can't set in bridge mode. Does using the ISP router's DMZ for my Orbi while in router mode mean adding the 10.0.0.1 to the DMZ? Or do I assign/set a 192.168.1.x IP to the Orbi (from the ISP router?), then add this IP to the ISP router DMZ instead?

And are there any risks to using the Orbi in the ISP router's DMZ?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I recommend using the modems DMZ for your Orbi router while in router mode. This will help with any double NAT issues.

Yes, the reason your Orbi router sets up 10.x.x.x is that your ISP modems is using the same default 192.168.1.1 that most NG routers use. So during setup, the wizard will change the NG routers IP address pool to not conflict with the modesm IP address pool. You can change from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.0.1 if you like.

Message 406 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP address the Orbi gets from the ISP modem when in router mode on the Orbi? What ever this IP address is, input this address into the ISP modems DMZ. This should be different from the LAN side IP address seen when you connect a device to the Orbi router. I would also set up a IP address reservation ON the ISP modem for Orbi so it's address doesn't change.

The DMZ puts the Orbi router on the front lines just like any other router behind a modem, it's get public IP addressing traffic, however since the Orbi also has a firewall, your safe to use the DMZ. Would be same thing as having a modem with out a built in router and using the Orbi router. This works well. I have used this before setting up two routers on the same network when the modem can't be fully bridged. Thats one reason why the DMZ is there.

@bryandmlee wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38, I want to put my Orbi in router mode (currently in AP mode) but I have a mandatory ISP-issued router, which I can't set in bridge mode. Does using the ISP router's DMZ for my Orbi while in router mode mean adding the 10.0.0.1 to the DMZ? Or do I assign/set a 192.168.1.x IP to the Orbi (from the ISP router?), then add this IP to the ISP router DMZ instead?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I recommend using the modems DMZ for your Orbi router while in router mode. This will help with any double NAT issues.

Yes, the reason your Orbi router sets up 10.x.x.x is that your ISP modems is using the same default 192.168.1.1 that most NG routers use. So during setup, the wizard will change the NG routers IP address pool to not conflict with the modesm IP address pool. You can change from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.0.1 if you like.

Message 407 of 762
loomis1975
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Curious, did you do a factory reset and set up from scratch or just update FW and continue?

@loomis1975wrote:

Finally upgraded to 2.1.3.6 on the RBR40 and 2.1.3.4 on the RBR50 and RBS50 when they released the beta RBR40 firmware.  RBS50Y is still on 2.1.2.20.  The RBR40 downstairs is daisy chaining through the outside RBS50Y to the router, since something in the floor/ceiling between my living room and den absolutely attenuates wifi signals to almost nothing trying to pass through.  I was so glad daisy chaining was released.  I used the Orbis mostly at another place and Velop here because of that reason alone.  That and the internet provider use to be faster at the other place, but now is fastest at my main residence, so they are swapped now.

This is coming from 2.1.2.18 on the main units, where I didn't have any big issues with performance.  I have all the bells and whistles turned on, but only a few devices I have are capable of MU-MIMO and I really am unsure if they are actually using it.  Did not have to reset as I am not seeing any degradation in the time since switchover.

The only thing outstanding (this has been the case for over a year, if not longer) that I think is interesting is that Samsung smartphones (S7 and S8) seem to want to use 2.4 ghz instead of the 5 ghz most of the time even when in the same room as router/satellite.  When you manually turn wifi off via the phones, then back on, they will usually connect to 5 ghz, but over time end up at 2.4 ghz no matter where they are located. (Smartswitch is turned off on all 3 S7s,S8)  No clue why, but not the biggest deal in the world. We are more of a laptop/tablet and above household when it comes to streaming HD video, so it hasn't been a big issue.  An Alcatel Idol 4s Windows 10 Phone (I know, I'm trying to hold back the ocean by still using a Windows 10 phone) doesn't have that issue.

Just update FW and continue.  Working like a charm so far.  Router uptime is at 2 days now.

Message 408 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl, ur a lucky one. Keep it going for now. if you notice problems, give a reset a try.

Enjoy.

@loomis1975 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Curious, did you do a factory reset and set up from scratch or just update FW and continue?

@loomis1975wrote:

Just update FW and continue.  Working like a charm so far.  Router uptime is at 2 days now.

Message 409 of 762
loomis1975
Luminary

@splogue wrote:

Where is the new firmware for the RBR50Y (outdoor) satellite? I looked through the list, but that one doesn't seem to be covered.

They haven't released it yet.  I waited till 3 out of 4 of my components had the updated beta firmware and went ahead and upgraded.  My system is working fine with the RBS50Y sitting at production firmware and the rest upgraded.

Message 410 of 762
OrbiMan
Luminary

Re: FACTORY RESETS AND SET UP FROM SCRATCH ARE NEEDED FOR BETA BUILDS

I check my update it is not there
Message 411 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: FACTORY RESETS AND SET UP FROM SCRATCH ARE NEEDED FOR BETA BUILDS

Message 412 of 762
Chemo29
Guide

OK!!! I will say it again!!! What about the other models???? I mean it can't be that much different to mod the firmware for the other models. So 2.1.3.4 is working great for RBR50, Great!!!!!!! What about the other models???? It’s been two weeks since the beta was released??????  and it's being auto pushed to the 50 series. Getting tired of this if you can’t tell!

Message 413 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Best bet to keep an eye on this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584/highlight/true#M26234

and the official download web page.

May seen that is easy just changing some code. There a lot more that goes into FW development and testing. 

@Chemo29 wrote:

OK!!! I will say it again!!! What about the other models???? I mean it can't be that much different to mod the firmware for the other models. So 2.1.3.4 is working great for RBR50, Great!!!!!!! What about the other models???? It’s been two weeks since the beta was released??????  and it's being auto pushed to the 50 series. Getting tired of this if you can’t tell!

Message 414 of 762
Chemo29
Guide

I work for Cisco enterprise routing and switching and it's not that hard to modify firmware for same platform systems. I bought Orbi for my home because it's a great idea to have the backplan across it's own dedicated backhaul. But this is just getting ridiculous!

Message 415 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines working for me. And others.

Good Luck. 

Message 416 of 762
loomis1975
Luminary

@Chemo29 wrote:

Its not being auto pushed to anything anymore.  Since it is a beta, I'm not sure why they were doing that in the first place.  It is a bit of a muddle why it is taking so long, no visibility, so my shot in the dark is that they are going from most installed base items to least installed base items.  The RBR50, RBS50 are by far the most installed, with the RBR40/RBS40 being second, and everything else a distant third.

Message 417 of 762
bryandmlee
Apprentice

Thank you for the information! I believe I have set it up properly now:

The Orbi gets a 192.168.1.x IP from the ISP modem/router, and I have reserved that IP for the Orbi on the ISP modem/router and placed that IP into the ISP modem/router's DMZ.

The LAN side IP address for the Orbi is the default alternative of 10.0.0.x, so that's what my devices are getting too.

This should be correct, yes? (And do I/should I set the same static 192.168.1.x for the Internet IP Address under the Internet Setup section in the Orbi firmware, or is it better to leave it as "Get Dynamically from ISP"?)

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the IP address the Orbi gets from the ISP modem when in router mode on the Orbi? What ever this IP address is, input this address into the ISP modems DMZ. This should be different from the LAN side IP address seen when you connect a device to the Orbi router. I would also set up a IP address reservation ON the ISP modem for Orbi so it's address doesn't change.

The DMZ puts the Orbi router on the front lines just like any other router behind a modem, it's get public IP addressing traffic, however since the Orbi also has a firewall, your safe to use the DMZ. Would be same thing as having a modem with out a built in router and using the Orbi router. This works well. I have used this before setting up two routers on the same network when the modem can't be fully bridged. Thats one reason why the DMZ is there.

@bryandmlee wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 418 of 762
tclutes
Guide

The amount of time this is taking is really unacceptable, like many others I struggle with ongoing issues with this system and I can't install the beta as I have a different model. 

I really want this to work as this system does have great potential,

Netgear if you can't fix these issues why not  start offering those of us stuck an exchange program for a working system, it shouldn't take months to fix something unless it was truly flawed from the onset.

Message 419 of 762
splogue
Tutor

Gotcha - it appears to be an oversight. The RBS50-Y is internally the same as the RBS50. The firmware for it should be nearly identical, yet isn't on the released list.

Message 420 of 762
Planetom
Star

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

NETGEAR SUCKS! ORBI SUCKS! LEARN TO CODE!
I am so sick of this piece of **bleep** called Orbi!!!

Yes did it all 2.1.3.4 + countless factory resets etc.

Message 421 of 762
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Planetom wrote:

return to sender

Message 422 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Doesn;t say what his problem is. Probably mis-configuration.

Mines working well.

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Planetom wrote:

return to sender

Message 423 of 762
Ralph052
Guide

Got to admit ... other than the messed up HP printer driver, my system is rock solid again w/25+ devices running. Feels good!
Message 424 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you have this correct.

As long as you set a reserved IP address for the Orbi router ON the modem, you can leave the Orbi set to Dynamic.

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@bryandmlee wrote:

Thank you for the information! I believe I have set it up properly now:

The Orbi gets a 192.168.1.x IP from the ISP modem/router, and I have reserved that IP for the Orbi on the ISP modem/router and placed that IP into the ISP modem/router's DMZ.

The LAN side IP address for the Orbi is the default alternative of 10.0.0.x, so that's what my devices are getting too.

This should be correct, yes? (And do I/should I set the same static 192.168.1.x for the Internet IP Address under the Internet Setup section in the Orbi firmware, or is it better to leave it as "Get Dynamically from ISP"?)

Message 425 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7