Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Enjoy it now.

@Ralph052 wrote:
Got to admit ... other than the messed up HP printer driver, my system is rock solid again w/25+ devices running. Feels good!

Message 426 of 762
fcwest
Star

Looks like the files for RBR50 & RBS50 have been pulled from the server. These links for the beta no longer work:

RBR50 : http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=o3UGoktK40   

RBS50: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=B57FDA46OO

Anyone have these they can share?

Message 427 of 762
tagteam
Virtuoso

Message 428 of 762
bryandmlee
Apprentice

Thanks again, @FURRYe38! Yup, my Orbi system is working all right—with 2.1.3.4 firmware, and Ethernet backhaul. Smiley Happy 

In case anyone is interested, these were my steps in setting up my RBK50:

1) Update satellite and router to 2.1.3.4

2) Paperclip restart satellite, then router

3) Set up the Orbi system (with default wireless backhaul) using orbilogin.com on desktop browser, connected to router via Ethernet cable

4) Once router and satellite are set up with wireless backhaul, plug in respective Ethernet cables at leftmost LAN ports on router and satellite. Wait a few minutes for Orbi system to reconfigure itself to Ethernet backhaul.

Optional: 5) Once Ethernet backhaul is established, I powered off all three devices, and then on again in the usual order of ISP modem, wait two minutes then Orbi router and finally Orbi satellite—just to be extra sure the Orbi system has been set up correctly and the three devices all know what they're supposed to be doing. Wait a few minutes for the whole system to settle down and the Ethernet backhaul status to show as Good again.

I know a number of users have been having trouble getting their Orbi systems working properly (whether with earlier firmware versions or this 2.1.3.4); perhaps these steps might be useful for someone out there!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 429 of 762
Planetom
Star

Thanks for sharing.
It's pathetic paying customers have to come up with step-by-step tutorials like yours.

However, how is your router to modem? In addition, lease specify 'left most LAN port'

Million thanks,
Volker
Message 430 of 762
bryandmlee
Apprentice

Orbi router connected to ISP modem using Ethernet cable plugged into the yellow 'Internet' port on the Orbi router. For the Ethernet backhaul, left-most LAN port on the Orbi router would be the port right next to the yellow 'Internet' port, while on the Orbi satellite it would be the very first LAN/'Ethernet' port.

Diagramatically, the four ports on the Orbi RBR50 router would be connected as such:

To ISP modem (yellow) / To Orbi satellite / <Free port for devices> / <Free port for devices>

And on the Orbi RBS50 satellite:

To Orbi router / <Free port for devices> / <Free port for devices> / <Free port for devices>

@Planetom wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
It's pathetic paying customers have to come up with step-by-step tutorials like yours.

However, how is your router to modem? In addition, lease specify 'left most LAN port'

Million thanks,
Volker
Message 431 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.

Enjoy now.

@bryandmlee wrote:

Thanks again, @FURRYe38! Yup, my Orbi system is working all right—with 2.1.3.4 firmware, and Ethernet backhaul. Smiley Happy 

In case anyone is interested, these were my steps in setting up my RBK50:

1) Update satellite and router to 2.1.3.4

2) Paperclip restart satellite, then router

3) Set up the Orbi system (with default wireless backhaul) using orbilogin.com on desktop browser, connected to router via Ethernet cable

4) Once router and satellite are set up with wireless backhaul, plug in respective Ethernet cables at leftmost LAN ports on router and satellite. Wait a few minutes for Orbi system to reconfigure itself to Ethernet backhaul.

Optional: 5) Once Ethernet backhaul is established, I powered off all three devices, and then on again in the usual order of ISP modem, wait two minutes then Orbi router and finally Orbi satellite—just to be extra sure the Orbi system has been set up correctly and the three devices all know what they're supposed to be doing. Wait a few minutes for the whole system to settle down and the Ethernet backhaul status to show as Good again.

I know a number of users have been having trouble getting their Orbi systems working properly (whether with earlier firmware versions or this 2.1.3.4); perhaps these steps might be useful for someone out there!

Message 432 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Not in the user manual?

@Planetom wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Million thanks,
Volker

Message 433 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of test software are you using?

What PC HW are you using?

What version of Mac or Windows are you using?

Any security software enabled on this PC?

@PyroDog wrote:

So I gave this beta a test run and disappointingly the packet loss issues are still there. As you can see from the graph, the communication hangs at regular intervals. This is a 10 minute graph with a massive 16.8% PL. For this test I tried several configuration combinations, factory reset and disconecting all devices from the network in order to isolate the issue to the Orbi devices. I have been doing this for each firmware version since 2.0.0.744.2.2.2.png

This issue began wirh firmware V2.0.1.4 with only a mild PL issue. Newer firmwares have been just as bad as the current beta. Fortunately I don't need Circle or ethernet backhaul so I'm goinga back to V2.0.0.74 for the time being.

Message 434 of 762
bsholbrook
Apprentice

After completing the firmware and a full factory set leaving daisy chain, Mimo, etc offf.... I’m Seeing two themes with this firmware....

First, devices that are on the network 24*7 are randomly dropping connection once per day for 5 to 8 mins.  Observed with both nest cameras and ecobee thermostat that have had solid connections for the past 6 plus months.  This isn’t the end of the world, but certainly annoying.

second, the firmware looses stability after operating for 72 or more hours.  Today for the second time since the firmware release the entire house of 35 devices lost connectivity until the router was reset (no other changes were made to anything.  Again this was not observed behavior in the past the Orbiswould operate for weeks.  Total connectivity loss like this is a huge problem given the reliance of being a cord cutter with security and home automation.

dont want to spend the money for alternatives, but im on the verge of doing so.

Message 435 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using on the router, if auto, set manual channels 1, 6 or 11. Find one of those channels with least amount of neighbors using them. Find any unused channel on 5Ghz.

How big is your home? Sq ft?

What is the distance between the router and Satellit(s).

Did you disable beamforming and IPv6 as well?

How many devices do you have connected?

What are they?

Whats your ISP modem Mfr and Model#?

@bsholbrook wrote:

After completing the firmware and a full factory set leaving daisy chain, Mimo, etc offf.... I’m Seeing two themes with this firmware....

First, devices that are on the network 24*7 are randomly dropping connection once per day for 5 to 8 mins.  Observed with both nest cameras and ecobee thermostat that have had solid connections for the past 6 plus months.  This isn’t the end of the world, but certainly annoying.

second, the firmware looses stability after operating for 72 or more hours.  Today for the second time since the firmware release the entire house of 35 devices lost connectivity until the router was reset (no other changes were made to anything.  Again this was not observed behavior in the past the Orbiswould operate for weeks.  Total connectivity loss like this is a huge problem given the reliance of being a cord cutter with security and home automation.

dont want to spend the money for alternatives, but im on the verge of doing so.

Message 436 of 762
doccelo
Star

@doccelo wrote:

Thanks, Netgear team.  I'm on 2.0.1.4 currently and having disconnect issues. Will download betas now and report back after some time testing it.

I am still having issues with the router losing internet connectivity and in order to restore functionality I have to reboot the system manually.  I've tried every suggestion I could find on these forums to no avail.  It seemed stable for a while, but the issue of losing internet connectivity has returned and actually seems to be happening more frequently.  Not sure where to go from here... (Yes, I did factory reset and set up from scratch for those wondering).  

Message 437 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi system do you have?

What is the mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

When you say disconnects from the internet, do you mean you loose wifi connections or do you loose both wired and wireless?

There any indication on the routers web page of the internet status when this happens?

Do you still have access to the routers web page when this happens?

What channels are you using on the router for wireless?

Do you have the satellite connected? if so, what distance is the satellite away from the router?

@doccelo wrote:
@doccelo wrote:

Thanks, Netgear team.  I'm on 2.0.1.4 currently and having disconnect issues. Will download betas now and report back after some time testing it.

I am still having issues with the router losing internet connectivity and in order to restore functionality I have to reboot the system manually.  I've tried every suggestion I could find on these forums to no avail.  It seemed stable for a while, but the issue of losing internet connectivity has returned and actually seems to be happening more frequently.  Not sure where to go from here... (Yes, I did factory reset and set up from scratch for those wondering).  

Message 438 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

And what is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem your using with the orbi system?

@PyroDog wrote:

So I gave this beta a test run and disappointingly the packet loss issues are still there. As you can see from the graph, the communication hangs at regular intervals. This is a 10 minute graph with a massive 16.8% PL. For this test I tried several configuration combinations, factory reset and disconecting all devices from the network in order to isolate the issue to the Orbi devices. I have been doing this for each firmware version since 2.0.0.744.2.2.2.png

This issue began wirh firmware V2.0.1.4 with only a mild PL issue. Newer firmwares have been just as bad as the current beta. Fortunately I don't need Circle or ethernet backhaul so I'm goinga back to V2.0.0.74 for the time being.

Message 439 of 762
doccelo
Star

The ISP modem is an Arris Surfboard SB6141.  

I lost internet today, and couldn't connect either through wifi or wired (wired to Orbi RBR50).  I also have two RBS50 satellites set up in wagon wheel pattern around router.  I can connect to the Orbi router via web interface when I lose internet connectivity.  I didn't check today if the Orbi saw an active internet connection from my modem, but a few days ago when the same thing happened I think Orbi was showing no internet connection on the web interface.  Modem and ISP (Xfinity Comcast) both reported no problems.  I will keep an eye on this next time it happens just to be sure.  

I've been on stock setup for channels...I made no changes to that from initial factory reset and setup.

Two satellites:  One is located on same floor one room over but there is a gas fireplace and a wall of books against that wall between router and satellite.  Other satellite is one floor down from router and about 30-40 feet to the side.  Typical 2x4 wood frame construction.  The one downstairs I use mostly for its wired connections to hook up non-wifi devices, but also to reach the "bottom" of the "L"... It's an L-shaped ~3800 sf house, and the router sits at about the middle of the downstroke of the "L".  

Message 440 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I would only use 1 Satellite and see if this does anything.

I would also power OFF the ISP modem and orbi router for 1 minute and power back on. Then power ON the modem. After it syncs, power ON the router.

I would also swap out LAN cable between the modem and router. Use CAT6. Don't use the cable that came in the box with the orbi system.

I would test with just the router being online only at first. Turn OFF the satellites.

Set manual channels to 1 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Disable Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 ON ther router.

Save settings to apply then do a full REBOOT on the router. See how it goes.

Your using older FW which exhibited some issues as well. If these suggestions don't seem to work, you might manually upgrade FW to v2.1.3.4 if it's still available.

@doccelo wrote:

I lost internet today, and couldn't connect either through wifi or wired (wired to Orbi RBR50).  I also have two RBS50 satellites set up in wagon wheel pattern around router.  I can connect to the Orbi router via web interface when I lose internet connectivity.  I didn't check today if the Orbi saw an active internet connection from my modem, but a few days ago when the same thing happened I think Orbi was showing no internet connection on the web interface.  Modem and ISP (Xfinity Comcast) both reported no problems.  I will keep an eye on this next time it happens just to be sure.  

I've been on stock setup for channels...I made no changes to that from initial factory reset and setup.

Two satellites:  One is located on same floor one room over but there is a gas fireplace and a wall of books against that wall between router and satellite.  Other satellite is one floor down from router and about 30-40 feet to the side.  Typical 2x4 wood frame construction.  The one downstairs I use mostly for its wired connections to hook up non-wifi devices, but also to reach the "bottom" of the "L"... It's an L-shaped ~3800 sf house, and the router sits at about the middle of the downstroke of the "L".  

Message 441 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, here is a rough 1st test. Not quite idea test configuration. Just a laptop connected wired thru two switches.

PingPlotterTest1_Target4222.png

@PyroDog wrote:

Message 442 of 762
doccelo
Star

Thanks for your help FURRYe38.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would only use 1 Satellite and see if this does anything.  I will try this.

I would also power OFF the ISP modem and orbi router for 1 minute and power back on. Then power ON the modem. After it syncs, power ON the router.  I've done this multiple times, and in that sequence.

I would also swap out LAN cable between the modem and router. Use CAT6. Don't use the cable that came in the box with the orbi system.  I'm using CAT6 cables and not the ones that came with the Orbi.  I might try to swap out cables again for another just to rule that out (but I've never had issues with a previous Asus RT-AC87U).  Might try to set that router up and put Orbi into AP mode, although I bought the Orbi to replace the Asus not supplement it.

I would test with just the router being online only at first. Turn OFF the satellites.  After the last internet drop, I actually did exactly this and am running just the router right now to test.

Set manual channels to 1 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channel on 5Ghz.  Will try this.

Disable Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 ON ther router.  All were disabled already, including IPv6.

Save settings to apply then do a full REBOOT on the router. See how it goes.

Your using older FW which exhibited some issues as well. If these suggestions don't seem to work, you might manually upgrade FW to v2.1.3.4 if it's still available.  I upgraded to the 2.1.3.4 beta the day it was released.  Been running it since.

@doccelo wrote:

Message 443 of 762
larryindublin
Luminary

I have to say, since this “beta” was released I’ve been perfectly stable. Upgraded that evening. I’ve had uptime of 11 days now without issue interrupted only by a power outage during a bad storm 11 days ago. Prior to that had also had uptime since release day.

Mix of Android and Apple devices. 3 Smart TV’s. Multiple Amazon Echo’s, home automation stuff as well. Usually 27-30 connected devices.

Only using Router and 1 Satellite (saving second satellite for when I finish basement) and Wireless backhaul. I have uPNP off and fast roaming on, OpenDNS entries for DNS otherwise default from out of the box back on day one (just after Black Friday Costco sale). Never have done full resets - just firmware updates. I honestly think the vast majority of people are NOT having issues, which I’m sure is frustrating to those having issues, and difficult for Netgear as well.

Message 444 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad your is working well. Thanks for letting us know how yours was upgraded. If it's working well, keep it. IF you seem to experience some problems later on, please try a factory reset and set up from scratch then.

Enjoy.

@larryindublin wrote:

I have to say, since this “beta” was released I’ve been perfectly stable. Upgraded that evening. I’ve had uptime of 11 days now without issue interrupted only by a power outage during a bad storm 11 days ago. Prior to that had also had uptime since release day.

Mix of Android and Apple devices. 3 Smart TV’s. Multiple Amazon Echo’s, home automation stuff as well. Usually 27-30 connected devices.

Only using Router and 1 Satellite (saving second satellite for when I finish basement) and Wireless backhaul. I have uPNP off and fast roaming on, OpenDNS entries for DNS otherwise default from out of the box back on day one (just after Black Friday Costco sale). Never have done full resets - just firmware updates. I honestly think the vast majority of people are NOT having issues, which I’m sure is frustrating to those having issues, and difficult for Netgear as well.

Message 445 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, wanted to be sure.

If you upgraded FW, did you do a full factory reset and set up from scratch?

Keep us posted on how it goes for now.

@doccelo wrote:

Thanks for your help FURRYe38.

Message 446 of 762
doccelo
Star

Sure did. For every firmware update we've gotten I've done a full factory reset and setup from scratch. Will keep an eye on things and report back.  The only thing I've done since the last internet drop is to reboot modem and router and turned off both satellites.  Only router is up at the moment.  

Message 447 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good.

@doccelo wrote:

Sure did. For every firmware update we've gotten I've done a full factory reset and setup from scratch. Will keep an eye on things and report back.  The only thing I've done since the last internet drop is to reboot modem and router and turned off both satellites.  Only router is up at the moment.  

Message 448 of 762
loomis1975
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Kewl, ur a lucky one. Keep it going for now. if you notice problems, give a reset a try.

Enjoy.

@loomis1975 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Curious, did you do a factory reset and set up from scratch or just update FW and continue?

@loomis1975wrote:

Just update FW and continue.  Working like a charm so far.  Router uptime is at 2 days now.

After 4 days of uptime from upgrade to beta firmware, the RBS40 dropped connection (all the ethernet devices to the RBS40 like an Arlo Pro Base station / Fingbox and wireless devices connected to the RBS40 lost internet access) to the RBR50 (Daisty chaining through a RBS50Y).  But The RBS50Y seemed to be connecting fine and the RBS50 upstairs was also working fine with the router as well.  So I power cycled the RBS50Y first since I realized I never power cycled it when I upgraded all the other's to beta firmware 4 days ago (RBS50Y is still on production firmware), then I power cycled the RBS40 so it would daisly chain 5 ghz through the RBS50Y again.  Heres hoping that it was just a glitch from an oversight on my part.  But I'll keep an eye on it.

Even while the internet connectivity was gone, the Attached Devices page on the router was still showing "Good" 5ghz daisy chain backhaul from the RBS40 to the RBS50Y.

Message 449 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know about your oversight. 

Remember, try a full factory reset and set up from scratch for last resort. 

Keep us posted. 

@loomis1975 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Kewl, ur a lucky one. Keep it going for now. if you notice problems, give a reset a try.

Enjoy.

@loomis1975 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Curious, did you do a factory reset and set up from scratch or just update FW and continue?

@loomis1975wrote:

Just update FW and continue.  Working like a charm so far.  Router uptime is at 2 days now.

After 4 days of uptime from upgrade to beta firmware, the RBS40 dropped connection (all the ethernet devices to the RBS40 like an Arlo Pro Base station / Fingbox and wireless devices connected to the RBS40 lost internet access) to the RBR50 (Daisty chaining through a RBS50Y).  But The RBS50Y seemed to be connecting fine and the RBS50 upstairs was also working fine with the router as well.  So I power cycled the RBS50Y first since I realized I never power cycled it when I upgraded all the other's to beta firmware 4 days ago (RBS50Y is still on production firmware), then I power cycled the RBS40 so it would daisly chain 5 ghz through the RBS50Y again.  Heres hoping that it was just a glitch from an oversight on my part.  But I'll keep an eye on it.

Even while the internet connectivity was gone, the Attached Devices page on the router was still showing "Good" 5ghz daisy chain backhaul from the RBS40 to the RBS50Y.

Message 450 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7