Reply

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Do you factory reset the router after upgrading the FW and set up from scratch? This needs to be done for this version of FW.

 

Let us know what your seeing if you have problems with this version of FW.


@steve8411 wrote:

Try and be patient ... it sucks but they are working on it.

 

Im using a newer beta for about 12 hours now ....


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 501 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

How is your router, channels and satellite configured?

Distances between router and satellite?

I'm on v2.1.3 here and not seeing any disconnects.

Disconnects as is from the router, satellite, satellite disconnecting from router? Router disaconnectin from internet? client disconnecting from router or satellite?

 

Specifics would be helpful...


@Retired_Member wrote:

@steve8411 wrote:

Try and be patient ... it sucks but they are working on it.

 

Im using a newer beta for about 12 hours now ....


I've been on 2.0.14 (roll back) for nearly 2 months.  Averaging disconnects once a week


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 502 of 762
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@FURRYe38 wrote:

How is your router, channels and satellite configured?

Distances between router and satellite?

I'm on v2.1.3 here and not seeing any disconnects.

Disconnects as is from the router, satellite, satellite disconnecting from router? Router disaconnectin from internet? client disconnecting from router or satellite?

 

Specifics would be helpful...


@Retired_Member wrote:

@steve8411 wrote:

Try and be patient ... it sucks but they are working on it.

 

Im using a newer beta for about 12 hours now ....


I've been on 2.0.14 (roll back) for nearly 2 months.  Averaging disconnects once a week


 Disconnects as in the Router goes pink, while the Sats,  there is no change other than the entire network is down.  I'm not ready to jump back into the tweaker mode.  I never touched it out of the box but set it up (Nov 17).  No AP mode, modem, router, and devices.  It all worked fine the first 2-3 months.  So whatever is causing the disconnects I don't feel it's anything I did on my and I'm not going to start chasing rabbits.


 

Message 503 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

My issues were mostly with Apple devices ...  Wifi would be connected but device would not be able to access internet prompting a restart of wifi or device.

 

So working with support and providing logs they've furnised a new revised beta -not available- to test....

 

I have 30+ devices accross many platforms on my home network ...

Message 504 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

 

The pink has to do with your ISP services between the router and modem. One thing I haven't seen with mine. You can't just wait around for FW to fix this. This may not be something FW can fix. Troubleshooting starts always with the ISP services and flows down. It's not always the routers fault.

 

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

 

Seems that your issues is particular to your configuration set up. However since you have resolved to not do anything. I guess this is all up to you. "Can lead a horse..."


Hope this helps other users who will take action if needed.

 

Good Luck.


@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How is your router, channels and satellite configured?

Distances between router and satellite?

I'm on v2.1.3 here and not seeing any disconnects.

Disconnects as is from the router, satellite, satellite disconnecting from router? Router disaconnectin from internet? client disconnecting from router or satellite?

 

Specifics would be helpful...


@Retired_Member wrote:

@steve8411 wrote:

Try and be patient ... it sucks but they are working on it.

 

Im using a newer beta for about 12 hours now ....


I've been on 2.0.14 (roll back) for nearly 2 months.  Averaging disconnects once a week


 Disconnects as in the Router goes pink, while the Sats,  there is no change other than the entire network is down.  I'm not ready to jump back into the tweaker mode.  I never touched it out of the box but set it up (Nov 17).  No AP mode, modem, router, and devices.  It all worked fine the first 2-3 months.  So whatever is causing the disconnects I don't feel it's anything I did on my and I'm not going to start chasing rabbits.


 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 505 of 762
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@steve8411 wrote:

My issues were mostly with Apple devices ...  Wifi would be connected but device would not be able to access internet prompting a restart of wifi or device.

 

So working with support and providing logs they've furnised a new revised beta -not available- to test....

 

I have 30+ devices accross many platforms on my home network ...


...and see...not to pick on you...but this might be a case where NG continues to operate under the fix/break mode.  They fix some users while all of a sudden break others.  I know there are a gazillon ways to run a home network and I consider mine fairly simple (no AP, No switches, etc.) and yet it can fall victim.

Message 506 of 762
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

all I can say..."I'm glad I bought it from Costco"

Message 507 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Good Luck.

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 508 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

May very well be why they asked me to participate ....

 

I have Windows, Parrot, Roku's, Apple, Android, Raspberry Pi and a host of other devices running on my network ...

Message 509 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

How is your system configured?

What channels are you using?

Did you upgrade FW and is Beamforming, Mimo, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 enabled or disable?

Whats the distance between the router and satellite?

Is 20/40Mhz Coexistence enabled?


@steve8411 wrote:

May very well be why they asked me to participate ....

 

I have Windows, Parrot, Roku's, Apple, Android, Raspberry Pi and a host of other devices running on my network ...


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 510 of 762
mmiguy
Aspirant

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

When doing a FW upgrade, do you lose all the labeling of devices, setup parameters?  It was a ton of work just setting this thing up.  It is by no means a PnP product, and I'm technically inclined...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 511 of 762
Planetom
Star

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Dear fellows in misery,

 

All the follwing applies only WHEN IN AP MODE!

Some relief comes from wired ethernet backhaul. I guess it is because of saved 5G bandwidth. Who knows.

 

However, problem was to run an extra cat 6 cable through the flat - next to the already existing LAN wired infrastructure.

Why is this an issue?

Well because the Netgear documentation - same crappy&confusing as the firmware - advises to use the yellow WAN port. Wrong.

As for ethernet wired backhaul in AP mode, use 1st LAN port - right next to the yellow one

(no idea if this has influence but Daisychain Off, Beamforming On, MU-MIMO On, Fast Roaming On and Smiley FrustratedYes Yes Yes I did paper-clip factory reset the cheesy orbi router + satellite after firmware migration to 2.1.3.4) 

 

=> this doesn't hinder Orbi junk from internet drops or lost connections but it reduces them

 

Cheers, Volker

 

 

PS

There is an entire thread for this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ethernet-Backhaul-Best-Practices/m-p/1486919#M21278

 

PPS

I also liked this reddit blog entry to find out the satellite backhaul type via telnet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/7jfdhk/ethernet_backhaul_howto/

 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 512 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

 If you upgraded to v2.1.3.4, yes all settings will be erased. This is for only this version. These are beta and there are differences in FW from last version to beta. We see that other users reported continued problems after the update however didn't reset the router and set up from scratch. After doing a reset and set up again, the problems not longer appeard. Im told that going forward, NG is aware of this and next future updates users should not have to reset and set up from scratch after doing a FW update. 

 


@mmiguy wrote:

When doing a FW upgrade, do you lose all the labeling of devices, setup parameters?  It was a ton of work just setting this thing up.  It is by no means a PnP product, and I'm technically inclined...


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 513 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

So did chaning from WAN to LAN port resolve your problems? 


@Planetom wrote:

Dear fellows in misery,

 

All the follwing applies only WHEN IN AP MODE!

Some relief comes from wired ethernet backhaul. I guess it is because of saved 5G bandwidth. Who knows.

 

However, problem was to run an extra cat 6 cable through the flat - next to the already existing LAN wired infrastructure.

Why is this an issue?

Well because the Netgear documentation - same crappy&confusing as the firmware - advises to use the yellow WAN port. Wrong.

As for ethernet wired backhaul in AP mode, use 1st LAN port - right next to the yellow one

(no idea if this has influence but Daisychain Off, Beamforming On, MU-MIMO On, Fast Roaming On and Smiley FrustratedYes Yes Yes I did paper-clip factory reset the cheesy orbi router + satellite after firmware migration to 2.1.3.4) 

 

=> this doesn't hinder Orbi junk from internet drops or lost connections but it reduces them

 

Cheers, Volker

 

 

PS

There is an entire thread for this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ethernet-Backhaul-Best-Practices/m-p/1486919#M21278

 

PPS

I also liked this reddit blog entry to find out the satellite backhaul type via telnet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/7jfdhk/ethernet_backhaul_howto/

 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 514 of 762
Brain29
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

This is very bad and missleading information based on a led color on a device that sounds like its crashing/malfunctioning. With all the issues netgear has it would be a waste of money to have someone come out to look. Just RMA the device or return it or RMA until netgear refunds you

 

 



@FURRYe38 wrote:

 

The pink has to do with your ISP services between the router and modem. One thing I haven't seen with mine. You can't just wait around for FW to fix this. This may not be something FW can fix. Troubleshooting starts always with the ISP services and flows down. It's not always the routers fault.

 

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

 

Seems that your issues is particular to your configuration set up. However since you have resolved to not do anything. I guess this is all up to you. "Can lead a horse..."


Hope this helps other users who will take action if needed.

 

Good Luck.


@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How is your router, channels and satellite configured?

Distances between router and satellite?

I'm on v2.1.3 here and not seeing any disconnects.

Disconnects as is from the router, satellite, satellite disconnecting from router? Router disaconnectin from internet? client disconnecting from router or satellite?

 

Specifics would be helpful...


@Retired_Member wrote:

@steve8411 wrote:

Try and be patient ... it sucks but they are working on it.

 

Im using a newer beta for about 12 hours now ....


I've been on 2.0.14 (roll back) for nearly 2 months.  Averaging disconnects once a week


 Disconnects as in the Router goes pink, while the Sats,  there is no change other than the entire network is down.  I'm not ready to jump back into the tweaker mode.  I never touched it out of the box but set it up (Nov 17).  No AP mode, modem, router, and devices.  It all worked fine the first 2-3 months.  So whatever is causing the disconnects I don't feel it's anything I did on my and I'm not going to start chasing rabbits.


 


 


 

Message 515 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Pink doesn't mean the router is crashing necessarily. The poster hasn't proven weather or not if the ISP services and signal to his modem is working properly from the ISP. This needs to be checked first to ensure the signal from the ISP service thru the modem is to spec.

Page 18 LED Behavior:
 
 

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 516 of 762

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

  This device is junk. I'm tired of playing all the reset/update/reset games. I am currently on V2.1.3.4. After updating firmware on both devices, I reset both of them and its been up for just over 9 days (09:06:50).  Running on 5G on the satellite, as I have no connection wired close by for wired backhaul.

 

And it locked up again. Wired works fine, devices attached to the router wireless work fine, devices attached to the satellite are connected (I can launch the orbi app from my phone and see status, everything appears to be fine. Wifi is connected on phones, laptops, etc, but not connecting to the internet. It seems like the satellite is the issue. There is no interference from 2.4g or 5g.

 

Do NOT ask me any questions about how far things are away from each other (it was up for 9 days), or ask me to reset the devices (this is not a tenable situation). I don't want to disconnect the satellite, either. If I wanted to do that I would have never bought this system.

 

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this Orbi system, and NETGEAR doesn't appear to be putting this on the front burner. 

 

I work from home and have a lot of devices on wireless. I can't keep operating in this fashion. PLEASE, fix this system. I want to like it but NETGEAR is making it impossible.

Message 517 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1549643/highlight/true#M28054

 


@CyberExorcist wrote:

  This device is junk. I'm tired of playing all the reset/update/reset games. I am currently on V2.1.3.4. After updating firmware on both devices, I reset both of them and its been up for just over 9 days (09:06:50).  Running on 5G on the satellite, as I have no connection wired close by for wired backhaul.

 

And it locked up again. Wired works fine, devices attached to the router wireless work fine, devices attached to the satellite are connected (I can launch the orbi app from my phone and see status, everything appears to be fine. Wifi is connected on phones, laptops, etc, but not connecting to the internet. It seems like the satellite is the issue. There is no interference from 2.4g or 5g.

 

Do NOT ask me any questions about how far things are away from each other (it was up for 9 days), or ask me to reset the devices (this is not a tenable situation). I don't want to disconnect the satellite, either. If I wanted to do that I would have never bought this system.

 

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this Orbi system, and NETGEAR doesn't appear to be putting this on the front burner. 

 

I work from home and have a lot of devices on wireless. I can't keep operating in this fashion. PLEASE, fix this system. I want to like it but NETGEAR is making it impossible.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 518 of 762
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Then if your not going to accept any ones help then why post and why keep it? Why not move along and find something else that works for you then? Others are having good experiences with there's. Users are trying to help others get theres working. Seems that the reset is recommended and seems to fix others problems with this FW. You might try it. If you don't then why not contact NG support directly and ask for help. Maybe they can help you out. 

 


@CyberExorcist wrote:

  This device is junk. I'm tired of playing all the reset/update/reset games. I am currently on V2.1.3.4. After updating firmware on both devices, I reset both of them and its been up for just over 9 days (09:06:50).  Running on 5G on the satellite, as I have no connection wired close by for wired backhaul.

 

And it locked up again. Wired works fine, devices attached to the router wireless work fine, devices attached to the satellite are connected (I can launch the orbi app from my phone and see status, everything appears to be fine. Wifi is connected on phones, laptops, etc, but not connecting to the internet. It seems like the satellite is the issue. There is no interference from 2.4g or 5g.

 

Do NOT ask me any questions about how far things are away from each other (it was up for 9 days), or ask me to reset the devices (this is not a tenable situation). I don't want to disconnect the satellite, either. If I wanted to do that I would have never bought this system.

 

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this Orbi system, and NETGEAR doesn't appear to be putting this on the front burner. 

 

I work from home and have a lot of devices on wireless. I can't keep operating in this fashion. PLEASE, fix this system. I want to like it but NETGEAR is making it impossible.


 

Arris 6183
R7800
RBK50
Message 519 of 762
Brain29
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Pink doesn't mean the router is crashing necessarily. The poster hasn't proven weather or not if the ISP services and signal to his modem is working properly from the ISP. This needs to be checked first to ensure the signal from the ISP service thru the modem is to spec.

Page 18 LED Behavior:
 
 

 


most the time when the device crashes it goes pink - its pretty good at crashing every 14 hours on the dot now -- just check these forms once a day for a working firmware .. 

Message 520 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

How are you determining it's a crash? 

Can you access the routers or satellies UI when this happens? 

Ping 192.168.1.1 from a comrmand line? 

You might enable some debug logging, someting to give to NG support...

If you feel this is a router or HW problem, I would recommend you contact NG support and talk to someone. This maybe beyond something that a FW update can fix. 

 

 


@Brain29 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Pink doesn't mean the router is crashing necessarily. The poster hasn't proven weather or not if the ISP services and signal to his modem is working properly from the ISP. This needs to be checked first to ensure the signal from the ISP service thru the modem is to spec.

Page 18 LED Behavior:
 
 

 


most the time when the device crashes it goes pink - its pretty good at crashing every 14 hours on the dot now -- just check these forms once a day for a working firmware .. 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 521 of 762

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1549643/highlight/true#M28054

 


@CyberExorcist wrote:

  This device is junk. I'm tired of playing all the reset/update/reset games. I am currently on V2.1.3.4. After updating firmware on both devices, I reset both of them and its been up for just over 9 days (09:06:50).  Running on 5G on the satellite, as I have no connection wired close by for wired backhaul.

 

And it locked up again. Wired works fine, devices attached to the router wireless work fine, devices attached to the satellite are connected (I can launch the orbi app from my phone and see status, everything appears to be fine. Wifi is connected on phones, laptops, etc, but not connecting to the internet. It seems like the satellite is the issue. There is no interference from 2.4g or 5g.

 

Do NOT ask me any questions about how far things are away from each other (it was up for 9 days), or ask me to reset the devices (this is not a tenable situation). I don't want to disconnect the satellite, either. If I wanted to do that I would have never bought this system.

 

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this Orbi system, and NETGEAR doesn't appear to be putting this on the front burner. 

 

I work from home and have a lot of devices on wireless. I can't keep operating in this fashion. PLEASE, fix this system. I want to like it but NETGEAR is making it impossible.


 



Ok somone has been up for longer than me. Still doesn't deny the fact that there is still something wrong here. I've been more than patient, and had nothing but issues since I purchased this system in December. If any other device worked in this fashion, it wouldn't be acceptable. I've had netgear hardware for a long time, and never experienced anything along the lines of what I'm seeing now. 

I'm just getting frustrated. Hopefully the stability gets rock solid soon. I don't like having to reboot the router, every time the satellite goes out to lunch.

Message 522 of 762

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@BoilerPlate wrote:

Then if your not going to accept any ones help then why post and why keep it? Why not move along and find something else that works for you then? Others are having good experiences with there's. Users are trying to help others get theres working. Seems that the reset is recommended and seems to fix others problems with this FW. You might try it. If you don't then why not contact NG support directly and ask for help. Maybe they can help you out. 

 


@CyberExorcist wrote:

  This device is junk. I'm tired of playing all the reset/update/reset games. I am currently on V2.1.3.4. After updating firmware on both devices, I reset both of them and its been up for just over 9 days (09:06:50).  Running on 5G on the satellite, as I have no connection wired close by for wired backhaul.

 

And it locked up again. Wired works fine, devices attached to the router wireless work fine, devices attached to the satellite are connected (I can launch the orbi app from my phone and see status, everything appears to be fine. Wifi is connected on phones, laptops, etc, but not connecting to the internet. It seems like the satellite is the issue. There is no interference from 2.4g or 5g.

 

Do NOT ask me any questions about how far things are away from each other (it was up for 9 days), or ask me to reset the devices (this is not a tenable situation). I don't want to disconnect the satellite, either. If I wanted to do that I would have never bought this system.

 

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this Orbi system, and NETGEAR doesn't appear to be putting this on the front burner. 

 

I work from home and have a lot of devices on wireless. I can't keep operating in this fashion. PLEASE, fix this system. I want to like it but NETGEAR is making it impossible.


 


I've posted before with issues. My point is this thing should work all the time without interruption. If I have to reboot this system every X number of days, its not acceptable. I'm not trying to be rude here, its just that this system has issues. None of the  firmware I've had since I purchased this device in December have worked properly. If this was a $50 system, I wouldn't be so discouraged. Its not like this thing is cheap. I just want the return on investment I thought I would get to come to fruition. Not to mention, I have loved every other netgear product I have owned. Thanks..

Message 523 of 762
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Im sure everyone is in the same boat and feels the same. Im sure that other who have working units also understand. However when it comes to problems, you need to be more accepting of help and understand that some users around here are wanting your unit to work and work well. You should be open and reseptive to others help and information and give things a try. Not always FW updates will fix issues, there maybe other areas that need to be looked into to see if there is a FW problem or maybe you have an actual bad or faulty unit that just needs to be replace. All this needs to looked into and you should listen and follow what others suggest to find the real cause if your problems. Just claiming the router doesn't work after a period of time doesn't say anything nor does it carry any weight. Details are needed and more information is needed so those wanting to help you can give you good information about troubleshooting the problem. Everyones set up is different, varied and many. Not everyone will have the same results or experiences. I agree, you have an investment and it should work with little interfrence by you or problems. These are exepensive units not to be working. Everyone knows this. Be open to follow suggestions and give details and maybe you might find the real problem or cause. If not, then like I said, you maybe better off contacting NG support for there help, and or finding something else that may work for you. However, remember, other devices could experience similar problem cause by something other than router firmware or hardware. 

 

Good Luck. 

 


@CyberExorcist wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1549643/highlight/true#M28054

 


@CyberExorcist wrote:

  This device is junk. I'm tired of playing all the reset/update/reset games. I am currently on V2.1.3.4. After updating firmware on both devices, I reset both of them and its been up for just over 9 days (09:06:50).  Running on 5G on the satellite, as I have no connection wired close by for wired backhaul.

 

And it locked up again. Wired works fine, devices attached to the router wireless work fine, devices attached to the satellite are connected (I can launch the orbi app from my phone and see status, everything appears to be fine. Wifi is connected on phones, laptops, etc, but not connecting to the internet. It seems like the satellite is the issue. There is no interference from 2.4g or 5g.

 

Do NOT ask me any questions about how far things are away from each other (it was up for 9 days), or ask me to reset the devices (this is not a tenable situation). I don't want to disconnect the satellite, either. If I wanted to do that I would have never bought this system.

 

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this Orbi system, and NETGEAR doesn't appear to be putting this on the front burner. 

 

I work from home and have a lot of devices on wireless. I can't keep operating in this fashion. PLEASE, fix this system. I want to like it but NETGEAR is making it impossible.


 



Ok somone has been up for longer than me. Still doesn't deny the fact that there is still something wrong here. I've been more than patient, and had nothing but issues since I purchased this system in December. If any other device worked in this fashion, it wouldn't be acceptable. I've had netgear hardware for a long time, and never experienced anything along the lines of what I'm seeing now. 

I'm just getting frustrated. Hopefully the stability gets rock solid soon. I don't like having to reboot the router, every time the satellite goes out to lunch.


 

Arris 6183
R7800
RBK50
Message 524 of 762
Brain29
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@FURRYe38 wrote:

How are you determining it's a crash? 

Can you access the routers or satellies UI when this happens? 

Ping 192.168.1.1 from a comrmand line? 

You might enable some debug logging, someting to give to NG support...

If you feel this is a router or HW problem, I would recommend you contact NG support and talk to someone. This maybe beyond something that a FW update can fix. 

 

 


@Brain29 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Pink doesn't mean the router is crashing necessarily. The poster hasn't proven weather or not if the ISP services and signal to his modem is working properly from the ISP. This needs to be checked first to ensure the signal from the ISP service thru the modem is to spec.

Page 18 LED Behavior:
 
 

 


most the time when the device crashes it goes pink - its pretty good at crashing every 14 hours on the dot now -- just check these forms once a day for a working firmware .. 


 


Other then creating an RMA there unhelpful they have all the details - they don't even have access to the beta software the first 4 had no clue of a problem, even after linking these threads created by employees  

Message 525 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E