Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

rhester72
Virtuoso

@cpd5215 wrote:

Awesome to hear....Quick Q.....I have been rock solid for 5 days now I think....Where do I check to see paket loss or where would you steer me to see how my system has performed behind the scene...In practical sense, all my devices have been great

I'm using a Linux tool called 'mtr' to measure latency and packet loss.  It's running on a hardwired Linux server, connected to the same switch as my Netgear router.  My satellite is connected via 5GHz backhaul, so I basically nonstop ping the satellite (thus exercising wireless backhaul) and measure round-trip times and loss that way.

The specific arguments I use are:

mtr -o "LSD NBAW  M" -4 <IP_of_satellite>

which will provide the following:

- Packet loss (by percent and count)

- Current, best, average, and worst round-trip times (via backhaul)

- Average jitter (variability in round-trip time/latency)

For those keeping score at home, on my setup with the router in AP mode on the first floor and the satellite one floor above, my average RTT is 1.3ms over wireless backhaul.  That does *not* suck.  🙂

Message 551 of 762
aucman
Star

Yesterday i have made a reset on firmware 2.1.3.4. Connection drops on mobile device if this device is connected to the satellite are still present. I have to disconnect and connect again. Sometimes it takes relatively long to obtain an IP address. I am in router mode.
Message 552 of 762

I too still get internet blocked on mobile device after (overnight) sleep.

Beta firmware, full factory reset of router and satellite and mobile device network reset (all together) tried. Further 'forget' of network tried too.

iPad pro iOS 11.3 - WiFi connects on resume but any internet access hangs until/unless WiFi on device switched off and on. Then resumes until the next time.

Router in router mode with (certified) Drayton fibre modem driving BT Openworld fibre to the cabinet.

In passing I also get 4mb less upstream speed than with the old 2 X Apple extreme install and 2ms greater latency.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 553 of 762
radamo
Apprentice

Just upgraded to 2.1.3.4 and did the paperclip reset.  Reconfigured the network and all looks solid so far.  Thanks for all the tips guys. Have not had any issues with Orbi yet and hope to continue the smooth sailing.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 554 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

Are you using the iPad Pro 9.7? That is the only device I'm having issues with disconnecting, so I'm not sure if it's the iPad going bad, or the Orbi.

I'm running 2.1.2.18 on my RBR50 + RBS50 (2) and 2.1.2.20 on my RBS50Y.

In a few days, I'm getting my internet speed upgraded from 50Mbps to 1Gbps. I'd like to start using wired backhaul to take advantage of the increased speed from my ISP. What firmware version should I look to upgrade to?

Message 555 of 762

Yes it's a pro 9.7 - I use it all over on loads of networks and no issues except on the Orbi.

My router and satellite are on the beta from this thread (the issue happened on the previous code too).
Message 556 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

Thanks. Wonder if the iPad Pro 9.7 has something in its Wi-Fi chip that the Orbi doesn't like? It's kinda driving me crazy at this point. Usually a reboot of the iPad fixes it.

Message 557 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling the following and see:

Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router.

Try upgrading to a Beta version of FW and see if this does anything different?

@turns2stone wrote:

Are you using the iPad Pro 9.7? That is the only device I'm having issues with disconnecting, so I'm not sure if it's the iPad going bad, or the Orbi.

I'm running 2.1.2.18 on my RBR50 + RBS50 (2) and 2.1.2.20 on my RBS50Y.

In a few days, I'm getting my internet speed upgraded from 50Mbps to 1Gbps. I'd like to start using wired backhaul to take advantage of the increased speed from my ISP. What firmware version should I look to upgrade to?

Message 558 of 762
raven_au
Virtuoso

Hi all,

I've put my Orbis back in service and I've installed the latest 2.1 firmware, it's been running for a maybe a week now.

Last night the Orbi router stopped responding while watching a movie.

But this time I saw it was rebooting, I think this is also what has happened at least once before and matches with what others in this thread have seen.

This is almost certainly a kernel crash.

My question is, do any of the logs that support request contain kernel back traces if there are any?

It's next to impossible to resolve problems like this without such a trace and even very hard with one.

Ian

Message 559 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

Thanks, I will give that a try.

So I got Ethernet backhaul working. Question: Should all wireless devices now show their connected to the Orbi Router? When I was using Wireless backhaul, each device near the satellite would show they were connected to it. Now 100% off my wireless devices show connected to the Router.

Message 560 of 762
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

My orbis are connected with Ethernet backhaul and I have devices that show connected to the satellite. I think devices that are wired to the satellite show up connected to the router but wireless devices still show that they connect to the satellite when they are far enough away from the router.
Message 561 of 762

In case anyone from Netgear is here I have this iPad internet blocked after sleep issue open as case 29999148 and am happy to gather debug info if required. The support rep asked where I obtained the beta so I replied today re this thread. The rest of the response was not helpful in progressing the issue.
Message 562 of 762
Planetom
Star

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Frequent internet connection loss over and over. Yes I followed all instructions including paper clip reset.

Why doesn't Netgear issue a test tool or is asking for log files?
This is what professional developers do.

PS
Did I mention I am in IT procurement at Deutsche Bahn, Germany's biggest employer?
Message 563 of 762

I agree. We are testing a beta but lack a feedback mechanism to expedite fault investigation and fix.

I tried support but the response was 'where did you get the beta?' and a request to change WiFi channel.
Message 564 of 762
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Bullyterrier wrote:
In case anyone from Netgear is here I have this iPad internet blocked after sleep issue open as case 29999148 and am happy to gather debug info if required. The support rep asked where I obtained the beta so I replied today re this thread. The rest of the response was not helpful in progressing the issue.

So yor not using an RBR50 or RBS50?

The firmware for those is available on the Netgrear support site.

Message 565 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

wireless devices when connected should show connected to the satellite when there connected there. If there connected to the router, they will show at the router.

@turns2stone wrote:

Thanks, I will give that a try.

So I got Ethernet backhaul working. Question: Should all wireless devices now show their connected to the Orbi Router? When I was using Wireless backhaul, each device near the satellite would show they were connected to it. Now 100% off my wireless devices show connected to the Router.

Message 566 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router and Satellite(s) after you upgraded to v2.1.3.4? This needs to be performed for this version of FW.

@raven_au wrote:

Hi all,

I've put my Orbis back in service and I've installed the latest 2.1 firmware, it's been running for a maybe a week now.

Last night the Orbi router stopped responding while watching a movie.

But this time I saw it was rebooting, I think this is also what has happened at least once before and matches with what others in this thread have seen.

This is almost certainly a kernel crash.

My question is, do any of the logs that support request contain kernel back traces if there are any?

It's next to impossible to resolve problems like this without such a trace and even very hard with one.

Ian

Message 567 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

This thread is the feedback mechanism.

You can send messages to the form moderators as well if you like.

@Bullyterrier wrote:
I agree. We are testing a beta but lack a feedback mechanism to expedite fault investigation and fix.

I tried support but the response was 'where did you get the beta?' and a request to change WiFi channel.

Message 568 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

OK that's what I thought.

Turns out, wired backhaul is just too unstable for me. The entire network crashes! I'm running 2.1.3.4 on RBR50 and RBS50 (x2) and 2.1.2.20 on the RBS50Y.

Did I need to do a full factory reset? That seems like a major pain. 

Message 569 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a FW update for the RBS50Y? Might be a problem here.

There any networks switches between the satellites and router?

Please factory reset the router and RSB50 units then set up from scratch.

My wired back haul is working fine. You have to give it time to reconfigure for the new connection?

Are you connecting all satellites at the same time for wired or doing one at a time and giving it 5 minutes to reconfigure?

Others are reporting success after a factory reset and set up from scratch:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289

@turns2stone wrote:

OK that's what I thought.

Turns out, wired backhaul is just too unstable for me. The entire network crashes! I'm running 2.1.3.4 on RBR50 and RBS50 (x2) and 2.1.2.20 on the RBS50Y.

Did I need to do a full factory reset? That seems like a major pain. 

Message 570 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

Yeah, this is a mess.

I factory-reset EVERYthing. Brought the router back up, it found the outdoor satellite no problem. Everytime I try to sync a wired satellite, the entire network crashes as its being setup. It’s almost like the router figures out its wired backhaul and just pukes.

Message 571 of 762
JazPlayer1
Tutor

I spent the afternoon yesterday upgrading my RBR50 + 3 Satellites to v2.1.3.4 from 2.1.2.18. I am encouraged to hear others are able to get ethernet backhaul working since I have a large house with poor wireless signal propogation characteristics. When connecting a RBS50 with ethernet after the upgrade/factory reset, my wired workstation would almost immediately be disconnected from the RBR50. When able to reconnect to the RBR50, the RBR50 would either show as not connected or connected via wi-fi backhaul. In either case the network became very unstable with an ethernet connected RBS50.

One thing I may try after reading bbunge's post is to connect the RBS directly to the RBR ethernet port. I am currently trying to connect all my devices through a Netgear GS series network (see below). From previous experience with TiVo Mini's, I was only able to get stable connections between the TiVo Bolt and Mini's when all were directly connected to the RBR50. This leads me to believe (unfortunately without any wireshark evidence) that the RBR50 suffers from spanning tree issues (BPDU broadcast storms and the like) when connecting to their brethren Netgear switches. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had similar issues and especially evidence to share. Read on for my upgrade experence. 

Home Network

GS116v2 - Great Room Main - RBR50
GS108E - Family Room - RBS50
GS108Ev3 - Office 1 
GS105Ev2 - Office 2
GS105Ev2 - Bed Room 2 - RBS50

Bed Room 2 - RBS50

Issues with Orbi:

Auto update breaks my network on a regular basis without notice

No way to disable auto update (had to turn off via CLI)

RBSs fail during auto update requiring manual intervention

RBSs randomly loose wi-fi backhaul connections to RBR (think red, amber, blue in the middle of the night)

Ethernet backhaul works with some firmware versions and not others

Devices randomly disconnected from wi-fi

My users (wife and kids) constant complaints about disconnects and slow speeds

Upgrade to v2.1.3.4 from 2.1.2.18:

Upgraded (3) RBS50s firmware one at a time and then performed factory reset on each

Updated RBS device names on config page. 

RBSs reconnected to RBR and network stable

Turned off RBSs and other devices around home

Upgraded RBR50 firmware

Network stable and no RBS connected

Then gulp factory reset

Ran through RBR setup routine after factory reset:

WAN auto setup good (auto detect etc)

(Used defaults - disable IGMP proxy, MTU, NAT secured) - dont recall seeing Disable SIP ALG option previously

Wi-fi auto setup good (SSID, PW etc)

(Used defaults 2.4Ghz auto, 5Ghz chan 48)

Then RBS discovery setup step: 

(thinking they should have taken you through LAN setup first)

Started up (1) RBS with ethernet. Lost connection to RBR. Network unstable. 

Disconnected RBS and reconnected to RBR. Back in WAN setup mode. Network stable. 

Back in RBS discovery setup mode:

Started up (2) RBSs with wi-fi. Sync complete and setup routine finished. 

(this step took awhile and eventually had to bring a remote RBS into same room as RBR)

Network stable but one RBS is not showing as connected satellite on attached device display

Ran through manual sync process (press button add) and now (2) RBSs showing as connected satellites. Network stable. 

Completed other setups not carried over after factory reset:

LAN - Config DHCP Pool Address Range: 2-100 (Have static IPs in range 101-2xx)

Guest wi-fi (SSID, PW etc) - Backhaul Daisy Chain enabled by default

Did not enable as before - Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming (want to measure user complaints first) 😜

UPnP enabled by default, IPv6 disabled by default

Connect 3rd RBS50:

Started up 3rd RBS with ethernet. Lost connection to RBR. Network unstable. 

A few careful RBR and RBS reboots and retrys later (this takes alot of time):

RBS did finally show up as connected device (not satellite) but connection type was 5G. Network unstable. 

I give up: Disconnected RBS and reconnected to RBR via wi-fi backhaul. 

Network stable but RBS is not showing as connected satellite on attached device display. 

Ran through manual sync process (press button add) and now (3) RBSs showing as connected satellites. Network stable. 

Attached Devices:

However the RBR did not detect the correct device model and names for the RBSs

One RBR did not show up as a connected satellite but as a connected device. 

Manually updated the device model and names for all the RBSs. 

Eventually after another RBR reboot all the RBS's showed up as connected satellites. Network stable. 

Began bringing all other devices back up on the network. 

Updated device model, name and type (everything is a network device to Orbi)

Noted only one static device shows up on connected device list; GS108Ev3, Firmware Version 2.00.12

I am done for now but will try ethernet again when I have another afternoon to kill. 

JP1!

Message 572 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

When setting up wired back haul, are you first setting up the satellite via wireless and is it working at this stage? It should be. Then connect the LAN cable between the router and satellite and give 5 minutes before you check the network? It needs a good 5 minutes. Yes the network may seem to stop working, however give it time. After 5 minutes it should be stable and working. Do one Satellite at a time. 

Possible that there is something wrong with the satellite in this configuration. Something to contact NG support about if you can't get it working on LAN back haul. Others including me have wired back haul working...

@turns2stone wrote:

Yeah, this is a mess.

I factory-reset EVERYthing. Brought the router back up, it found the outdoor satellite no problem. Everytime I try to sync a wired satellite, the entire network crashes as its being setup. It’s almost like the router figures out its wired backhaul and just pukes.

Message 573 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, Thanks for the details Sir. I wish others would post like this. LOL. 

So one item you may not know about, and you'll need to check. You maybe on the right track and we've seen a few others have this issue, you need to check ALL of your switches. From the looks, they maybe all managed. If they are, then these do and will have adverse effects on the Orbi systems. Others have posted about this as well. I have asked them about there switches only to find out that there managed. Seems there is either an issue with managed switches or a combination of managed switches and STP features on them. I've asked those uses to remove these switches from the mix and test directly with the Orbi router and Satellite to confirm the problem is there or not. Reports the problem goes away. I've asked users to find a NON-managed switch to test and see if the problem still continues or not. Most have reported the use of NON-Managed switches have resolved there problem. I believe only one users reported that his problem continued. Been a while though. 

I have several NON-manged switches in my configuration. Two of which are right in between my router and 1 satellite. An HP and a NG. I have not seen any issues with this configuration or operation on wired back haul using these NON-Manged switches. It does take a few minutes for the Satellite and router to complete the wired back haul configuration after I connect the cable which is something Ive notice so reason why I ask users to give 5 minutes before doing anything on the network and let the system complete the configuration. It does work. 

Seems that you have tested the system with out the switches and you want this to work. I would check with any cUI onfigurations with in the managed switches to see if there is any thing that you can either disable or enable to help the Orbi system work with your managed switches. There maybe some UI settings that need to be reviewed and tested. Nobody else has reported back on if they've found any configuration with there managed switches to help them work with the Orbi system. I would also check to see if IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet could be a factor. Something maybe NG support or one of the forum moderators may know more about. 

I have asked others about this and still waiting on feed back. 

For now, I'll I can recommend is to use non managed switches or use wireless back haul for now, or unless you can find a manage switch configuration there to help out. Something you could contact there switch support and ask. I presume someone who deals in NG switches may be able to help on this. 

You've done alot and great post. 

Please let us know if you continue this and find out anything. 

@JazPlayer1 wrote:

I spent the afternoon yesterday upgrading my RBR50 + 3 Satellites to v2.1.3.4 from 2.1.2.18. I am encouraged to hear others are able to get ethernet backhaul working since I have a large house with poor wireless signal propogation characteristics. When connecting a RBS50 with ethernet after the upgrade/factory reset, my wired workstation would almost immediately be disconnected from the RBR50. When able to reconnect to the RBR50, the RBR50 would either show as not connected or connected via wi-fi backhaul. In either case the network became very unstable with an ethernet connected RBS50.

One thing I may try after reading bbunge's post is to connect the RBS directly to the RBR ethernet port. I am currently trying to connect all my devices through a Netgear GS series network (see below). From previous experience with TiVo Mini's, I was only able to get stable connections between the TiVo Bolt and Mini's when all were directly connected to the RBR50. This leads me to believe (unfortunately without any wireshark evidence) that the RBR50 suffers from spanning tree issues (BPDU broadcast storms and the like) when connecting to their brethren Netgear switches. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had similar issues and especially evidence to share. Read on for my upgrade experence. 

Home Network

GS116v2 - Great Room Main - RBR50
GS108E - Family Room - RBS50
GS108Ev3 - Office 1 
GS105Ev2 - Office 2
GS105Ev2 - Bed Room 2 - RBS50

Bed Room 2 - RBS50

Issues with Orbi:

Auto update breaks my network on a regular basis without notice

No way to disable auto update (had to turn off via CLI)

RBSs fail during auto update requiring manual intervention

RBSs randomly loose wi-fi backhaul connections to RBR (think red, amber, blue in the middle of the night)

Ethernet backhaul works with some firmware versions and not others

Devices randomly disconnected from wi-fi

My users (wife and kids) constant complaints about disconnects and slow speeds

Upgrade to v2.1.3.4 from 2.1.2.18:

Upgraded (3) RBS50s firmware one at a time and then performed factory reset on each

Updated RBS device names on config page. 

RBSs reconnected to RBR and network stable

Turned off RBSs and other devices around home

Upgraded RBR50 firmware

Network stable and no RBS connected

Then gulp factory reset

Ran through RBR setup routine after factory reset:

WAN auto setup good (auto detect etc)

(Used defaults - disable IGMP proxy, MTU, NAT secured) - dont recall seeing Disable SIP ALG option previously

Wi-fi auto setup good (SSID, PW etc)

(Used defaults 2.4Ghz auto, 5Ghz chan 48)

Then RBS discovery setup step: 

(thinking they should have taken you through LAN setup first)

Started up (1) RBS with ethernet. Lost connection to RBR. Network unstable. 

Disconnected RBS and reconnected to RBR. Back in WAN setup mode. Network stable. 

Back in RBS discovery setup mode:

Started up (2) RBSs with wi-fi. Sync complete and setup routine finished. 

(this step took awhile and eventually had to bring a remote RBS into same room as RBR)

Network stable but one RBS is not showing as connected satellite on attached device display

Ran through manual sync process (press button add) and now (2) RBSs showing as connected satellites. Network stable. 

Completed other setups not carried over after factory reset:

LAN - Config DHCP Pool Address Range: 2-100 (Have static IPs in range 101-2xx)

Guest wi-fi (SSID, PW etc) - Backhaul Daisy Chain enabled by default

Did not enable as before - Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming (want to measure user complaints first) 😜

UPnP enabled by default, IPv6 disabled by default

Connect 3rd RBS50:

Started up 3rd RBS with ethernet. Lost connection to RBR. Network unstable. 

A few careful RBR and RBS reboots and retrys later (this takes alot of time):

RBS did finally show up as connected device (not satellite) but connection type was 5G. Network unstable. 

I give up: Disconnected RBS and reconnected to RBR via wi-fi backhaul. 

Network stable but RBS is not showing as connected satellite on attached device display. 

Ran through manual sync process (press button add) and now (3) RBSs showing as connected satellites. Network stable. 

Attached Devices:

However the RBR did not detect the correct device model and names for the RBSs

One RBR did not show up as a connected satellite but as a connected device. 

Manually updated the device model and names for all the RBSs. 

Eventually after another RBR reboot all the RBS's showed up as connected satellites. Network stable. 

Began bringing all other devices back up on the network. 

Updated device model, name and type (everything is a network device to Orbi)

Noted only one static device shows up on connected device list; GS108Ev3, Firmware Version 2.00.12

I am done for now but will try ethernet again when I have another afternoon to kill. 

JP1!

Message 574 of 762
EDR1
Guide

I'm having an issue with an older Lenovo Laptop with a Broadband N Wireless Adaptor that arbitrarily drops the Internet (still connected to the WiFi - but drops Internet) - it's an older 1x1  adaptor connected to 2.4GHZ.

Tried the usual - turn off BeamForming, MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming.... I also tried fixed 2.4 Channel and Static IP on Laptop....

I did hard paperclip reset and reconfigure 2x - just to be sure.  Both Router & Sat running 2.1.3.4

There was a mention of turning of 40 Mhz Coexistence - so will try that - but any other ideas?

Message 575 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7