Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model # of the laptop. I have an x61, dual band adapter. Windows 7 x32. 

What channels are you using? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

Any other wireless neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

I have beamforming enabled on mine only. 

Let us know if disabling 20/40Mhz does anything. 

@EDR1 wrote:

I'm having an issue with an older Lenovo Laptop with a Broadband N Wireless Adaptor that arbitrarily drops the Internet (still connected to the WiFi - but drops Internet) - it's an older 1x1  adaptor connected to 2.4GHZ.

Tried the usual - turn off BeamForming, MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming.... I also tried fixed 2.4 Channel and Static IP on Laptop....

I did hard paperclip reset and reconfigure 2x - just to be sure.  Both Router & Sat running 2.1.3.4

There was a mention of turning of 40 Mhz Coexistence - so will try that - but any other ideas?

Message 576 of 762
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the router and Satellite(s) after you upgraded to v2.1.3.4? This needs to be performed for this version of FW.

Yes, all Orbis were factory default reset and configured from scratch, it happened less than 24 hours afterwared.

There's more, the device I was using might have been connected via an RBS40 satelite with 2.1.3.6 to my RBR50, unfortunately I hadn't checked.

Are you able to answer the question I asked?

Message 577 of 762
raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the router and Satellite(s) after you upgraded to v2.1.3.4? This needs to be performed for this version of FW.

Yes, all Orbis were factory default reset and configured from scratch, it happened less than 24 hours afterwared.

There's more, the device I was using might have been connected via an RBS40 satelite with 2.1.3.6 to my RBR50, unfortunately I hadn't checked.

Also, I've enabled Circle.

Message 578 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you disable Circle and see if the problem still happens while watching a movie? 

How are you watching movies? What kind of device? Mfr and model#? Thisdevice wired or wireless when watching movies? 

As far as logging, not sure about the logs. You might enable them and send them to your email address and check them out. 

@raven_au wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Also, I've enabled Circle.

Message 579 of 762
raven_au
Virtuoso

@@@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you disable Circle and see if the problem still happens while watching a movie? 

How are you watching movies? What kind of device? Mfr and model#? Thisdevice wired or wireless when watching movies? 

The device was an Apple TV 4K and in this case it was the Apple Movies app.

I have had the impression in the past that certain devices wireless can cause problems, such as NUC D54250WYK, and connecting that via ethernet cable resolved my problem at the time. I've done the same thing for this particular Apple TV 4K, I've left my other one as wireless to see what will happen but I'll have to wait until it gets more use.

I find now that others in my household have had what appears to be a disconnection problem over the last several days, I've asked them to check if the router is rebooting when it happens and let me know. AFAICT this was while using an Apple TV (previous version to the 4K). I hadn't had problems with Apple devices previously so this is curious. The Apple devices have all updated to 11.3 now, I believe, certainly the Apple TV are all on this version of tvOS.

I'll check disabling Circle if the problem continues and it sounds like I'll need to work out if the kernel back trace gets captured in the log myself. Often they happen to quickly to be captured in the logs and one needs to connect a serial cable to the router to get the backtrace.

I've got several usb serial devices but I don't want to pull my Orbi appart, assuming there is a serial interface on the board. Perhaps there is some other way to get serial access to the Orbi, anyone?

Message 580 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

Thanks. I got one satellite connected via Ethernet using this method. But can't get a second. It just shows connected via 2.4Ghz and shows Backhaul status as "Poor", even though Ethernet is connected.

Message 581 of 762
JazPlayer1
Tutor

Thanks for the reply Furrye38. Gave me something to think about. 

OK, I will try to bypass the Netgear switches and connect RBS directly to RBR via ethernet port. 

Here goes:

Disconnected GS105Ev2 - Bed Room switch from GS116v2 - Great Room switch. 

Connected bedroom ethernet directly to RBR50 in Great Room. 

Powered down Bedroom RBS and restarted - light solid white. 

Waited a few minutes (light flashing white) and plugged in RBS to ethernet directly connected to RBR. 

Waited 5 minutes and checked status on the RBR. 

RBS shows as connected satellite assigned a new IP address 192.168.1.250. 

(interesting that Orbi assigned an IP inside my static IP range)

Connected to RBR at 192.168.1.250 and got the following message:

Your Orbi Satellite is not connecting to the Orbi network

This is most likely due to one of the following reasons.

1. It might be too far away from Orbi Network

Please turn the Satellite off, move it closer, and back on. Wait 2 minutes for Orbi Satellite to complete start up.

2. Your Orbi Satellite might not setup successfully

Make sure both your Orbi Router and Orbi Satellites are turned on, press SYNC button on both devices. Wait for 2 minutes to complete setup.

I tried the manual button push sync process (waited 5 min) and the RBR connection timed out and would not reconnect:

The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.

The RBR finally responded now showing the RBS connected at 192.168.1.9. Network very unstable. 

Now my users (wife and kids) are complaining about the network down time. 

I powered off the RBS in bedroom, disconnected from ethernet and restarted. 

Bedroom RBS connected at 192.168.1.9. Network stable again. Users are happy. 

That's all I can do for now until the users are away. 

Like to get input on sequence to try that might work. 

JP1!

Message 582 of 762

So my open case re the iPad 9.7 pro losing internet access after sleep. This device still has the issue that many more of my devices had before installing this beta - ie the fix (bullet point one in the rel notes) for me is in an incomplete fix in that my household iPhones are now ok but iPad still isn’t.

Latest ‘fix’ from support is to try guest network. Am complying in case it helps debug but clearly this isn’t any kind of acceptable solution as my iPad needs to be able to see my network devices and resources for the Orbi to not be returned.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 583 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Quick test when you can, Take the Satellite from the Great Room and take it to where the Router is, Use a different LAN cable and connect it directly behind the router using one of it's LAN ports. Does it connect then?

Sequence is good, wirless first to add Sat, then connect ehternet cable and wait for BLUE led.

@JazPlayer1 wrote:

OK, I will try to bypass the Netgear switches and connect RBS directly to RBR via ethernet port. 

Here goes:

Waited a few minutes (light flashing white) and plugged in RBS to ethernet directly connected to RBR. 

Please turn the Satellite off, move it closer, and back on. Wait 2 minutes for Orbi Satellite to complete start up.

Make sure both your Orbi Router and Orbi Satellites are turned on, press SYNC button on both devices. Wait for 2 minutes to complete setup.

I tried the manual button push sync process (waited 5 min) and the RBR connection timed out and would not reconnect:

The RBR finally responded now showing the RBS connected at 192.168.1.9. Network very unstable. 

JP1!

Message 584 of 762
nbuubu
Guide

Been in Orbi hell for months.

First system was bad out of the box, top lights would flash orange and it couldn't connect to anything. Returned it to Costco for another set.

Th second Orbi set was a disaster since I bought it in November 2017. Constant reboots, constant random disconnects across all devices. Finally, with the 3/23 beta firmware and after countless upgrades and downgrades and factory resets, I'd had enough.

I would re-flash the beta firmware and then factory reset. I'd factory reset and re-flash then factory reset again. Every single time, within hours, one of the satellites would disconnect and bring the system down.

With default settings? Reboot and hang.

With Daisy Chain switched off? Reboot and hang.

With a new wifi ID and password and only a single laptop connected via ethernet with default factory reset settings? Reboot and hang.

With a new wifi ID and password and a single android phone with up to date OS connected and Orbi again with default factory reset settings? Reboot and hang.

Was in Costco again this past weekend and been looking at other options, but the Orbi was on sale again so I bought another set on a lark. Could return if it's a just a defective line of products/

Hooked it up, flashed to the 3/23 firmware and factory reset all satellites ... and it's solid so far. Could go bad today again, but I've noticed a massive difference in how fast the system picks up the two satellites. What had been minutes of waiting and flashing and waiting, is now under a minute. Menus in the web interface come up faster. Results are pinged back faster using the Orbi app.

Thankfully due to Costco's return policy, I'll be returning the old defective set. But it really made me wonder if there was just a bad batch of units that went out last year. No amount of flashing and resets could fix it.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 585 of 762
Planetom
Star

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

As for the ethernet connection, signal hops over 2 switches. No problem so far, as for thr backhaul.
Drops / internet connection loss still on.

As I stated before, a tool analyzing the configuration - hence indicating misconfigurations - would stop the guessing.
Netgear isn't listening.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 586 of 762
tizmagik
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the router and satellite(s) after the FW update? If not, try this.

@tizmagikwrote:
I’ve tried this firmware for a few days now and while the dropped internet connections have seemed to stop happening I am now noticing intermittent bandwidth issues. I notice it mostly when watching YouTube TV via my Apple TV 4th Gen. It will go from crystal clear 1080 HD to a really abysmal pixelated picture for a few seconds then jump back to clear HD. It happens about once every 5-10 minutes.

Here’s hoping the next version addresses this issue. Happy to also help by providing any logs or anything if that would be useful.

I've tried a factory reset of both the Router and Satellite and am still having periodic streaming issues for YouTube TV. It's happening for both my Apple TV (4th Gen) and my Xbox One, so it's not specific to one device.

Message 587 of 762
mpf541
Apprentice

So I actually worked with L2 support and I set up my system and got it up and working properly which took 3 factory resets. But I thought all was going good. System seemed to not be giving me any issues and had been up for a day.

Thats when the kids started complaining. Seems the wireless started going out. Then the xbox decided to start frezzing up in games.

I noticed my macbook would wake up and not get a wifi connection right away. It would after 10 min or so. Or maybe after a reboot.

I think I have had it with this system. I have a velop here i have been swapping back and forth to test the orbi. Swithing to the velop is easy about 10 min and it is swaped. However changing over top the orbi is a pain.

I have sent all the logs off to netgear after failures over the weekend. After the 2nd time switch back to linksys velop and no issues.

To me it seems like those of us who first bought this system and worked great for about 10 months. Then  Netgear decided to add features. It has never worked right since then.

I think they also mage internal hardware changes from the beginning. maybe this is why some people are working properly. 

I am pretty sure i am about done with orbi. I still have about a month left i can return the linksys but not sure Netgear is capable of fixing iot by then.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 588 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Try manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Set 20.40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Have you tested with MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 disabled? 

@tizmagik wrote:
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the router and satellite(s) after the FW update? If not, try this.

@tizmagikwrote:
I’ve tried this firmware for a few days now and while the dropped internet connections have seemed to stop happening I am now noticing intermittent bandwidth issues. I notice it mostly when watching YouTube TV via my Apple TV 4th Gen. It will go from crystal clear 1080 HD to a really abysmal pixelated picture for a few seconds then jump back to clear HD. It happens about once every 5-10 minutes.

Here’s hoping the next version addresses this issue. Happy to also help by providing any logs or anything if that would be useful.

I've tried a factory reset of both the Router and Satellite and am still having periodic streaming issues for YouTube TV. It's happening for both my Apple TV (4th Gen) and my Xbox One, so it's not specific to one device.

Message 589 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

What is the Mfr and model# of these two switches? 

So is the system working now currently:? 

"Drops / internet connection loss still on." This mean connection loss is still happening? 

How do you know NG isn't listening? 

@Planetom wrote:
As for the ethernet connection, signal hops over 2 switches. No problem so far, as for thr backhaul.
Drops / internet connection loss still on.

As I stated before, a tool analyzing the configuration - hence indicating misconfigurations - would stop the guessing.
Netgear isn't listening.

Message 590 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using on the router? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your using? 

How is the xbox connected? Wired is preferred. 

What channels are you using? 

Any wireless neighbors near by? if so, how many? 

Have you tested MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 disbled? 

@mpf541 wrote:

So I actually worked with L2 support and I set up my system and got it up and working properly which took 3 factory resets. But I thought all was going good. System seemed to not be giving me any issues and had been up for a day.

Thats when the kids started complaining. Seems the wireless started going out. Then the xbox decided to start frezzing up in games.

I noticed my macbook would wake up and not get a wifi connection right away. It would after 10 min or so. Or maybe after a reboot.

I think I have had it with this system. I have a velop here i have been swapping back and forth to test the orbi. Swithing to the velop is easy about 10 min and it is swaped. However changing over top the orbi is a pain.

I have sent all the logs off to netgear after failures over the weekend. After the 2nd time switch back to linksys velop and no issues.

To me it seems like those of us who first bought this system and worked great for about 10 months. Then  Netgear decided to add features. It has never worked right since then.

I think they also mage internal hardware changes from the beginning. maybe this is why some people are working properly. 

I am pretty sure i am about done with orbi. I still have about a month left i can return the linksys but not sure Netgear is capable of fixing iot by then.

Message 591 of 762
srgb111
Guide

A couple of things that helped me (not sure if they are all needed)

Factory reset
set up wireless connection to satellites first then move to wired location
Network connection to router should be to one of the lan ports
Turn off diasy chain
Turn off IGMP snooping on your managed switch

I'm running stable w/ correct reporting of "good" "wired" connection in the GUI

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When setting up wired back haul, are you first setting up the satellite via wireless and is it working at this stage? It should be. Then connect the LAN cable between the router and satellite and give 5 minutes before you check the network? It needs a good 5 minutes. Yes the network may seem to stop working, however give it time. After 5 minutes it should be stable and working. Do one Satellite at a time. 

Possible that there is something wrong with the satellite in this configuration. Something to contact NG support about if you can't get it working on LAN back haul. Others including me have wired back haul working...

@turns2stone wrote:

Yeah, this is a mess.

I factory-reset EVERYthing. Brought the router back up, it found the outdoor satellite no problem. Everytime I try to sync a wired satellite, the entire network crashes as its being setup. It’s almost like the router figures out its wired backhaul and just pukes.

Message 592 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

So do you have a managed switch? Whats the Mfr and model# of your switch please.

So disabling IGMP snoop seems to help on managed switches? This is good info. Was hoping there is something on these switches to help users that have them.

Thanks for letting us know. Will pass this on.

@srgb111 wrote:

Factory reset
Network connection to router should be to one of the lan ports
Turn off diasy chain

I'm running stable w/ correct reporting of "good" "wired" connection in the GUI

Message 593 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Hey @JazPlayer1, try this with your managed switches and let us know if this helps:

@"@srgb111 wrote:

Factory reset
Network connection to router should be to one of the lan ports
Turn off diasy chain

I'm running stable w/ correct reporting of "good" "wired" connection in the GUI"

@JazPlayer1 wrote:

Here goes:

JP1!

Message 594 of 762
nbuubu
Guide

I dunno if this matters, or can help, but on my old crash-prone Orbi system, I could force a crash pretty easily by transferring large files (2GB+) over a satellite to router connection.

Path like this:

PC connected via ethernet to Satellite.

Satellite connected to Orbi Router via Wireless.

Orbi Router connected to Netgear ReadyNAS via ethernet.

On the old Orbi, transferring large files over this path was an almost instant crash. New Orbi unit can handle 2-200GB transfers pretty easily (so far). All with default settings on latest firmware.

Message 595 of 762
L0n3ly
Initiate

I have a problem in RBS50 about connection when i using this update as beta or stable firmware: 2.1.3.4 or 2.0.1.4
I upgrade and downgrade many time even make factory reset but still have disconnection problem ..
Sometime RBS50 make reconnection with router and Notice that from color being solid blue and sometime there is wifi network but wifi disappear for few second, especially this problem happen to me when i using ps4 or apple product like iphone or ipad ..
Also in windows laptop sometime 5Ghz wifi network lost because i'm using my laptop far away but i do manual setting to connect with network as 2.4Ghz ..
Also, i saw some people talk about 2.1.3.6
Can i know from where they get it ? Because in download link there is 2.1.3.4 only! Can any one upload it for us, may be it will fix my problem !

I have this product from amazon and i wish i can return it because its not stable at all, even sometime using speedtest! I saw the speed is very bad as 10MB or 20MB as download!
Message 596 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.1.3.6 is for a different model than yours. 

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem your Orbi is connected too? 

What is the ISP speed UP and Down you pay for? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite? Ft?

What is the size of your home? SqFt? 

What wireless channels are you using? Try manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5ghz. 

Set 20/40Mhz coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Disable MIMO, BeamForming, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6. 

@L0n3ly wrote:
I have a problem in RBS50 about connection when i using this update as beta or stable firmware: 2.1.3.4 or 2.0.1.4
I upgrade and downgrade many time even make factory reset but still have disconnection problem ..
Sometime RBS50 make reconnection with router and Notice that from color being solid blue and sometime there is wifi network but wifi disappear for few second, especially this problem happen to me when i using ps4 or apple product like iphone or ipad ..
Also in windows laptop sometime 5Ghz wifi network lost because i'm using my laptop far away but i do manual setting to connect with network as 2.4Ghz ..
Also, i saw some people talk about 2.1.3.6
Can i know from where they get it ? Because in download link there is 2.1.3.4 only! Can any one upload it for us, may be it will fix my problem !

I have this product from amazon and i wish i can return it because its not stable at all, even sometime using speedtest! I saw the speed is very bad as 10MB or 20MB as download!

Message 597 of 762
L0n3ly
Initiate

oh i see, i thought its for RBR50

my ISP modem is Huawei HG8245Q and i don't know what do you mean by Mfr ?

i pay for 50Mb package and by the way when i disconnect orbi system and using Huawei HG8245Q as modem and router, speed is so perfect but wifi cannot cover whole house as you know, also when i being near from RBR50 my speed is so perfect i get it full even ping being 5 !

but when i being in another floor to connnect with RBS50 i hate my life 😞

i installed RBR50 beside modem and connected with it by LAN as AP mode in 2nd floor and RBS50 installed in 3rd floor, there is no horizintal distance but i installed like vertically beside stairs and height is not that much may be 4 meters or 5 also there is 2 doors made it by wood and always keep it open, sometime i move RBS50 more closely but vertically not horizntally and check blackhoule status in attached device as Good !

i don't know how much size of my house and i'm not expert about measruing but try my best when i comment about distance between RBR50 and RBS50

i live in neighbrhood have alot of wifi network, so its impossible everyday check what best channel number because they restart their routers and see everytime they change wifi channel and i know not them but router change it when they put it as Auto mode and restart it from time to time ..

so my wifi channel put as Auto but sometime i check wifi channel scan and see no problem with that !

About 20/40Mhz coexistence : when i enable it, i notice there is more disconnect but when i disable it wifi improving but the problem didn't solved !

About Disable MIMO, BeamForming, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 , i disable everything and i didn't use them at all except Daisy Chain ! i thought its better to keep enable it !

i don't know, you are the expert whats your suggestion ?

Message 598 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem is a Gateway modem/router. This maybe presenting a problem. 

Couple of options for this:

1. Have the ISP bridge this modem/router so it just a modem and use the Orbi system as your main host router. 

2. If the modem, can't be bridge, use it's DMZ for the IP address the modem gives to the Orbi router. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. Disabling ALL wireless radios on the modem/router.

3. Use the modem/router as your main host router and connect the Orbi router LAN to LAN and configure the Orbi router in AP mode. Disabling ALL wireless radios on the modem/router.

@L0n3ly wrote:

oh i see, i thought its for RBR50

my ISP modem is Huawei HG8245Q and i don't know what do you mean by Mfr ?

i pay for 50Mb package and by the way when i disconnect orbi system and using Huawei HG8245Q as modem and router, speed is so perfect but wifi cannot cover whole house as you know, also when i being near from RBR50 my speed is so perfect i get it full even ping being 5 !

but when i being in another floor to connnect with RBS50 i hate my life 😞

i installed RBR50 beside modem and connected with it by LAN as AP mode in 2nd floor and RBS50 installed in 3rd floor, there is no horizintal distance but i installed like vertically beside stairs and height is not that much may be 4 meters or 5 also there is 2 doors made it by wood and always keep it open, sometime i move RBS50 more closely but vertically not horizntally and check blackhoule status in attached device as Good !

i don't know how much size of my house and i'm not expert about measruing but try my best when i comment about distance between RBR50 and RBS50

i live in neighbrhood have alot of wifi network, so its impossible everyday check what best channel number because they restart their routers and see everytime they change wifi channel and i know not them but router change it when they put it as Auto mode and restart it from time to time ..

so my wifi channel put as Auto but sometime i check wifi channel scan and see no problem with that !

About 20/40Mhz coexistence : when i enable it, i notice there is more disconnect but when i disable it wifi improving but the problem didn't solved !

About Disable MIMO, BeamForming, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 , i disable everything and i didn't use them at all except Daisy Chain ! i thought its better to keep enable it !

i don't know, you are the expert whats your suggestion ?

Message 599 of 762
madbrain
Luminary

I have found this beta to be just horrible. Wireless clients disappearing, and not seeing other devices on the LAN/WLAN, etc. Please, someody tell me what I can replace this P.O.S. with.

Message 600 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7