Reply
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@srgb111 wrote:
A couple of things that helped me (not sure if they are all needed)

Factory reset
set up wireless connection to satellites first then move to wired location
Network connection to router should be to one of the lan ports
Turn off diasy chain
Turn off IGMP snooping on your managed switch

I'm running stable w/ correct reporting of "good" "wired" connection in the GUI




@FURRYe38 wrote:

When setting up wired back haul, are you first setting up the satellite via wireless and is it working at this stage? It should be. Then connect the LAN cable between the router and satellite and give 5 minutes before you check the network? It needs a good 5 minutes. Yes the network may seem to stop working, however give it time. After 5 minutes it should be stable and working. Do one Satellite at a time. 

 

Possible that there is something wrong with the satellite in this configuration. Something to contact NG support about if you can't get it working on LAN back haul. Others including me have wired back haul working...


@turns2stone wrote:

Yeah, this is a mess.

 

I factory-reset EVERYthing. Brought the router back up, it found the outdoor satellite no problem. Everytime I try to sync a wired satellite, the entire network crashes as its being setup. It’s almost like the router figures out its wired backhaul and just pukes.


 


 



Thanks. I did all that, except for turning off daisy chain. So maybe that's the source of the problems?

Message 601 of 762
Guide

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@FURRYe38 wrote:

What channels are you using? Try manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Set 20.40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

 

Have you tested with MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 disabled? 


@tizmagik wrote:
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the router and satellite(s) after the FW update? If not, try this.

 

@tizmagikwrote:
I’ve tried this firmware for a few days now and while the dropped internet connections have seemed to stop happening I am now noticing intermittent bandwidth issues. I notice it mostly when watching YouTube TV via my Apple TV 4th Gen. It will go from crystal clear 1080 HD to a really abysmal pixelated picture for a few seconds then jump back to clear HD. It happens about once every 5-10 minutes.

Here’s hoping the next version addresses this issue. Happy to also help by providing any logs or anything if that would be useful.

 

 

I've tried a factory reset of both the Router and Satellite and am still having periodic streaming issues for YouTube TV. It's happening for both my Apple TV (4th Gen) and my Xbox One, so it's not specific to one device.


 


Thank you. I will try that and post back.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 602 of 762
Guide

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

It's a GS108Ev3, two actually.  I have two sats - I set them both up with wireless backhaul.  I then connected a wired backhaul for the first sat - this went through one GS108Ev3.  After a short period it showed wired backhaul.  I then connected the second, this time it was going through 2 switches - I waited for 1/2 hour or more with no joy.   I then turned off IGMP snooping on both switches - for no good reason other than I've tried everything else...shortly after this change the second sat connected.  From what I could read this shouldn't have made any difference, but the change resulted in the Sat showing up wired and I've been good since that point in time.  

 

Now that I'm stable I don't want to tear it down to test if the IGMP snooping really was the key...

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

So do you have a managed switch? Whats the Mfr and model# of your switch please.

So disabling IGMP snoop seems to help on managed switches? This is good info. Was hoping there is something on these switches to help users that have them.

Thanks for letting us know. Will pass this on.

 


@srgb111 wrote:
A couple of things that helped me (not sure if they are all needed)

Factory reset
set up wireless connection to satellites first then move to wired location
Network connection to router should be to one of the lan ports
Turn off diasy chain
Turn off IGMP snooping on your managed switch

I'm running stable w/ correct reporting of "good" "wired" connection in the GUI

 

 


 


 

 

Message 603 of 762
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@srgb111 wrote:

It's a GS108Ev3, two actually.  I have two sats - I set them both up with wireless backhaul.  I then connected a wired backhaul for the first sat - this went through one GS108Ev3.  After a short period it showed wired backhaul.  I then connected the second, this time it was going through 2 switches - I waited for 1/2 hour or more with no joy.   I then turned off IGMP snooping on both switches - for no good reason other than I've tried everything else...shortly after this change the second sat connected.  From what I could read this shouldn't have made any difference, but the change resulted in the Sat showing up wired and I've been good since that point in time.  

 

Now that I'm stable I don't want to tear it down to test if the IGMP snooping really was the key...

 

 


Did you turn off Daisy Chain on the RBR50, as well?

Message 604 of 762
Guide

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

I couldn't get wired backhaul to work w/ Daisy chain on...so I would try this first...

 


@turns2stone wrote:

Thanks. I did all that, except for turning off daisy chain. So maybe that's the source of the problems?


 

Message 605 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

THanks for the additional information. Glad you found this.

 

Yes it would be a good test to re-enabled IGMP to see if the problem appears. If you can do this at some point and let us know. You can disable IGMP again. 

 

Thanks for letting us know and Enjoy. 


@srgb111 wrote:

It's a GS108Ev3, two actually.  I have two sats - I set them both up with wireless backhaul.  I then connected a wired backhaul for the first sat - this went through one GS108Ev3.  After a short period it showed wired backhaul.  I then connected the second, this time it was going through 2 switches - I waited for 1/2 hour or more with no joy.   I then turned off IGMP snooping on both switches - for no good reason other than I've tried everything else...shortly after this change the second sat connected.  From what I could read this shouldn't have made any difference, but the change resulted in the Sat showing up wired and I've been good since that point in time.  

 

Now that I'm stable I don't want to tear it down to test if the IGMP snooping really was the key...

 

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 606 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Keep us posted...


@tizmagik wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What channels are you using? Try manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Set 20.40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

 

Have you tested with MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6 disabled? 


@tizmagik wrote:
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the router and satellite(s) after the FW update? If not, try this.

 

@tizmagikwrote:
I’ve tried this firmware for a few days now and while the dropped internet connections have seemed to stop happening I am now noticing intermittent bandwidth issues. I notice it mostly when watching YouTube TV via my Apple TV 4th Gen. It will go from crystal clear 1080 HD to a really abysmal pixelated picture for a few seconds then jump back to clear HD. It happens about once every 5-10 minutes.

Here’s hoping the next version addresses this issue. Happy to also help by providing any logs or anything if that would be useful.

 

 

I've tried a factory reset of both the Router and Satellite and am still having periodic streaming issues for YouTube TV. It's happening for both my Apple TV (4th Gen) and my Xbox One, so it's not specific to one device.


 


Thank you. I will try that and post back.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 607 of 762
Guide

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

yes


@turns2stone wrote:

@srgb111 wrote:

It's a GS108Ev3, two actually.  I have two sats - I set them both up with wireless backhaul.  I then connected a wired backhaul for the first sat - this went through one GS108Ev3.  After a short period it showed wired backhaul.  I then connected the second, this time it was going through 2 switches - I waited for 1/2 hour or more with no joy.   I then turned off IGMP snooping on both switches - for no good reason other than I've tried everything else...shortly after this change the second sat connected.  From what I could read this shouldn't have made any difference, but the change resulted in the Sat showing up wired and I've been good since that point in time.  

 

Now that I'm stable I don't want to tear it down to test if the IGMP snooping really was the key...

 

 


Did you turn off Daisy Chain on the RBR50, as well?


 

Message 608 of 762
Luminary

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

In order for IGMP, and thus IGMP snooping, to function, a multicast router must exist on the network and generate IGMP queries. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP_snooping

So an example where this would need to be disabled is if you were using the Orbi in AP mode and the router (e.g. the ISP's) doesn't support multicast or has a bug with it, it would not work with the switches. Lots of iterations where this could present an issue. I use a managed switch to support VLANs and to support bonding two ethernet ports to support multiple clients requesting video streams from my NAS with a PLEX server.


@srgb111 wrote:

yes


@turns2stone wrote:

@srgb111 wrote:

It's a GS108Ev3, two actually.  I have two sats - I set them both up with wireless backhaul.  I then connected a wired backhaul for the first sat - this went through one GS108Ev3.  After a short period it showed wired backhaul.  I then connected the second, this time it was going through 2 switches - I waited for 1/2 hour or more with no joy.   I then turned off IGMP snooping on both switches - for no good reason other than I've tried everything else...shortly after this change the second sat connected.  From what I could read this shouldn't have made any difference, but the change resulted in the Sat showing up wired and I've been good since that point in time.  

 

Now that I'm stable I don't want to tear it down to test if the IGMP snooping really was the key...

 

 


Did you turn off Daisy Chain on the RBR50, as well?


 


 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 609 of 762
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Well I turned off Daisy Chaining. Router rebooted, I plugged Ethernet into 1 satellite, and it crashed the LAN. Tried a few combinations regarding plugging in the LAN/rebooting, but none of them worked.

 

So, I'm back to Wi-Fi back haul for now...

Message 610 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

There any switches in between the router and satellite?

How long did you wait after plugging in the ethernet cable?

Does direct connect to back of router work?


@turns2stone wrote:

Well I turned off Daisy Chaining. Router rebooted, I plugged Ethernet into 1 satellite, and it crashed the LAN. Tried a few combinations regarding plugging in the LAN/rebooting, but none of them worked.

 

So, I'm back to Wi-Fi back haul for now...


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 611 of 762
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Yes, there are 1-2 switches between each satellite and the router.

 

I didn't try to plugging saltellites directly into the back of the router tonight, but have had some luck with this before. But they always break again when I put them back in their normal spots. I didn't bother trying to direct connect tonight. Because even if it works that way, each satellite will ultimately have to bo back ot their "homes" in different rooms.

Message 612 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Whats the Mfr and model# of these switches??


@turns2stone wrote:

Yes, there are 1-2 switches between each satellite and the router.

 

I didn't try to plugging saltellites directly into the back of the router tonight, but have had some luck with this before. But they always break again when I put them back in their normal spots. I didn't bother trying to direct connect tonight. Because even if it works that way, each satellite will ultimately have to bo back ot their "homes" in different rooms.




 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 613 of 762
Apprentice

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

D-Link DGS-1024D for main, and TRENDnet TEG-S80G in the secondary rooms. Both unmanaged.

Message 614 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Please test one satellite out with out any of these switches in between. NON managed switches shouldn't be a problem however need to rule them out...

 

Please give 5 minutes after connecting the satellites ethernet cable to the router before checking the status.

 

I see the one switch uses Green technology, possible issue here, however don't know for sure:

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail?prod=515_TEG-S80G

Try testing the satellite with the DLink switch alone after testing direct with the router.

 


@turns2stone wrote:

D-Link DGS-1024D for main, and TRENDnet TEG-S80G in the secondary rooms. Both unmanaged.




 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 615 of 762
Guide

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

By the way, opening the Traffic Meter from the iOS app when Traffic Meter is disabled on the router seems to crash the router.

Message 616 of 762
Star

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

So my stroy goes:

Orbi system router is doing great. Every device connected to the router is doing good and no issues.

But when Andorid phone (LG G4) is connected to the satellite there are constant wifi dropouts. In avrage 2 dropout in 15 to 30 minutes.

 

Installed 2.1.2.18 and the same issue
Installed 2.1.3.4 and the same issue
installed 2.0.1.4 and the same issue

Tried every combination with Daisy Chain disabled/enabled, Fast Roaming disabled/enabled, MU-MIMO disabled/enabled, BEAMFORMING disabled/enabled, 20/40 Mhz coexsitance diabled/enabled, UPNP mapping disabled/enabled, Different wifi channels, moved satellite closer and far.

All the same **bleep**.

I kind of regret now by not going with Linksys Velop. Bought this on AMAZON and paid around 650 euros three months back. Its insane that such and expensive piece of equipment works so bad. Right now I even dont believe NETEGEAR will be able to solve this becuase I do not think that this is software issues. I mean you cant be so incompetent developer to not fix such an issues in 10 releases of the firmware. So what I think is that some of the Orbi units have hardware issues. Either some fault or some incompatibility how the units are assembled.





Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 617 of 762

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

After 9 days of stable uptime on the latest version 2.1 beta Orbi died again and stopped allowing wifi connections. After a reboot I was back to the constant router restarts and constant wifi issues tried last 3 versions of firmware and all the same. Maximum a couple of hours up time so as a last resort went back to the last 1.X version release and so far have had 4 hours uptime and no issues. Will know more later today once I get some more people on the system. But is better than anything 2.X was doing for the last 2 weeks.

There is something fundamentally broken in the firmware or hardware for this product. I have used a large number of wifi routers and have had so little issues.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 618 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Did you try using manual channels on v2.1.3.4 FW?

Did you disable MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast roaming and IPv6 as well?


@diarmuidma wrote:

After 9 days of stable uptime on the latest version 2.1 beta Orbi died again and stopped allowing wifi connections. After a reboot I was back to the constant router restarts and constant wifi issues tried last 3 versions of firmware and all the same. Maximum a couple of hours up time so as a last resort went back to the last 1.X version release and so far have had 4 hours uptime and no issues. Will know more later today once I get some more people on the system. But is better than anything 2.X was doing for the last 2 weeks.

There is something fundamentally broken in the firmware or hardware for this product. I have used a large number of wifi routers and have had so little issues.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 619 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

If this phone is the only item causing problems and others are not, then maybe this phone should be looked at and reviewed. Make sure it's up to date.

I would contact the Mfr of this phone and ask for help and informatoin regarding this.

How old is this phone?


@aucman wrote:

So my stroy goes:

Orbi system router is doing great. Every device connected to the router is doing good and no issues.

But when Andorid phone (LG G4) is connected to the satellite there are constant wifi dropouts. In avrage 2 dropout in 15 to 30 minutes.

 

Installed 2.1.2.18 and the same issue
Installed 2.1.3.4 and the same issue
installed 2.0.1.4 and the same issue

Tried every combination with Daisy Chain disabled/enabled, Fast Roaming disabled/enabled, MU-MIMO disabled/enabled, BEAMFORMING disabled/enabled, 20/40 Mhz coexsitance diabled/enabled, UPNP mapping disabled/enabled, Different wifi channels, moved satellite closer and far.

All the same **bleep**.

I kind of regret now by not going with Linksys Velop. Bought this on AMAZON and paid around 650 euros three months back. Its insane that such and expensive piece of equipment works so bad. Right now I even dont believe NETEGEAR will be able to solve this becuase I do not think that this is software issues. I mean you cant be so incompetent developer to not fix such an issues in 10 releases of the firmware. So what I think is that some of the Orbi units have hardware issues. Either some fault or some incompatibility how the units are assembled.






 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 620 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Something to inform NG support about. I would contact @AmitR or @DarrenM


@tizmagik wrote:

By the way, opening the Traffic Meter from the iOS app when Traffic Meter is disabled on the router seems to crash the router.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 621 of 762
Star

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18


@FURRYe38 wrote:

If this phone is the only item causing problems and others are not, then maybe this phone should be looked at and reviewed. Make sure it's up to date.

I would contact the Mfr of this phone and ask for help and informatoin regarding this.

How old is this phone?


@aucman wrote:

So my stroy goes:

Orbi system router is doing great. Every device connected to the router is doing good and no issues.

But when Andorid phone (LG G4) is connected to the satellite there are constant wifi dropouts. In avrage 2 dropout in 15 to 30 minutes.

 

Installed 2.1.2.18 and the same issue
Installed 2.1.3.4 and the same issue
installed 2.0.1.4 and the same issue

Tried every combination with Daisy Chain disabled/enabled, Fast Roaming disabled/enabled, MU-MIMO disabled/enabled, BEAMFORMING disabled/enabled, 20/40 Mhz coexsitance diabled/enabled, UPNP mapping disabled/enabled, Different wifi channels, moved satellite closer and far.

All the same **bleep**.

I kind of regret now by not going with Linksys Velop. Bought this on AMAZON and paid around 650 euros three months back. Its insane that such and expensive piece of equipment works so bad. Right now I even dont believe NETEGEAR will be able to solve this becuase I do not think that this is software issues. I mean you cant be so incompetent developer to not fix such an issues in 10 releases of the firmware. So what I think is that some of the Orbi units have hardware issues. Either some fault or some incompatibility how the units are assembled.






 its LG g4...released 2015...its not so old and works on other wifis without problems. It is not the only phone. My girlfriends phone also has issues when connecting to that same sattelite. Mostly phones are connected to this satellites. Laptop is almost all the time on the router. Did not test laptop extensively on the satellite.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 622 of 762

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

I tried everything every option on latest firmware and is too unstable. Still going on 1.x as off now.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 623 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Does the phones connect to ther router ok if you disable the satellite and just use the main Orbi router?

 


@aucman wrote:


 its LG g4...released 2015...its not so old and works on other wifis without problems. It is not the only phone. My girlfriends phone also has issues when connecting to that same sattelite. Mostly phones are connected to this satellites. Laptop is almost all the time on the router. Did not test laptop extensively on the satellite.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 624 of 762
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Did you factory reset the router and satellite after applying v2.1.3.4 then set up from scratch? This should be done for this version of FW. Many users reported still having problems after upgrading FW, then doing a factory reset and set up from scratch, there problems were gone.


@diarmuidma wrote:
I tried everything every option on latest firmware and is too unstable. Still going on 1.x as off now.

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.102
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 625 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements