Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Planetom
Star

Sane here.
LG G4 has troubles, such as several iOS devices.
Now it's the clients?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 626 of 762
aucman
Star

As I said. Phones are connecting to router RBK50 OK. They connect to Satellite also Ok but when on Satellite there are dropouts 2per 30 min on avrage. When on router there is no dropouts.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 627 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Were all Sane here too. Even though the Orbi is making us all crazy.

Are you using manual channels or Auto?  Some say to use channel 1.

Have you tried setting 40Mhz only channel width?

I'm using only Beamforming and all other wireless features are disabled.

All my Apple, NEST devices and Cameras are connecting fine.

@Planetom wrote:
Sane here.
LG G4 has troubles, such as several iOS devices.
Now it's the clients?

Message 628 of 762
diarmuidma
Star

A
Yes multiple times as far as I see it the firmware is the issue
Message 629 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that this Satellite is faulty maybe. Something I would contact NG support about and ask. If the phones are working ok with the router along, I would place the satellite as suspect. Try a replacement satellite.

@aucman wrote:

As I said. Phones are connecting to router RBK50 OK. They connect to Satellite also Ok but when on Satellite there are dropouts 2per 30 min on avrage. When on router there is no dropouts.

Message 630 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have faulty HW as well. Others have there systems working on this version of FW. Including me. If yours continues to be problematic, I would contact NG support and ask for a full replacement RMA.

@diarmuidma wrote:
A
Yes multiple times as far as I see it the firmware is the issue

Message 631 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

It is a firmware issue.

You can factory reset till your paperclip turns to rust .... turn on/off whatever feature till your mouse battery dies... Ain't gonna solve anything.

Engineering has to fix the problem ....

Message 632 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, however you never did the factory reset so we can't know for sure about your system.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1540727#M26894

The reset has worked for others:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-2-1-3-4-in-auto-update/m-p/1553979/highlight/true#M28616

@steve8411 wrote:

It is a firmware issue.

You can factory reset till your paperclip turns to rust .... turn on/off whatever feature till your mouse battery dies... Ain't gonna solve anything.

Engineering has to fix the problem ....

Message 633 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

I am testing betas with engineering.

Not once have they ever mentioned a factory reset.

Message 634 of 762
nbuubu
Guide

At this point, from my limited experience with Orbi (three RBK53 kits from Costco), I don't think it's a firmware issue ... I think it's a hardware one.

First kit was DOA.

Second kit had constant drops despite multiple factory resets and settings configs. Default and with things switched off.

Third kit is the most stable I've seen, with zero problems using the same settings the second kit was using.

Message 635 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Some have mentioned early units 2016 era seem to have more issues then later production dates, 2017.

@nbuubu wrote:

At this point, from my limited experience with Orbi (three RBK53 kits from Costco), I don't think it's a firmware issue ... I think it's a hardware one.

First kit was DOA.

Second kit had constant drops despite multiple factory resets and settings configs. Default and with things switched off.

Third kit is the most stable I've seen, with zero problems using the same settings the second kit was using.

Message 636 of 762
RJD
Star
Star

I have RBK50 and RBW30 (or whatever the wall plugs are) and have found that main router, rock solid. RBS50 useless. Both wall plugs rock solid. So seems like my issues are with the original satellite. Have been using just router and wall plugs for nearly 2 weeks with no issue and now I see devices connect to all 3 whereas when it was just router and original satellite I rarely saw anything connect to the satellite and when it did most of the time it had issues connecting to internet. This is running the firmware for each from page one so for me could be a dodgy rbs50 all along.
Message 637 of 762
nbuubu
Guide

FWIW, the first two bad kits I purchased in November 2017, and the latest one that seems to be working I purchased in April 2018. So pretty late in the production timeline.

Costco might have had a bad batch last fall, as the first unit siezed up when it tried to do its initial firmware update, and the second unit would constantly lose connections with one of the satellites. That second unit actually would glitch and show 4 satellites when there were only 2, even past multiple factory resets.

Message 638 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried getting the Original Satellite replace from NG support? 

@RJD wrote:
I have RBK50 and RBW30 (or whatever the wall plugs are) and have found that main router, rock solid. RBS50 useless. Both wall plugs rock solid. So seems like my issues are with the original satellite. Have been using just router and wall plugs for nearly 2 weeks with no issue and now I see devices connect to all 3 whereas when it was just router and original satellite I rarely saw anything connect to the satellite and when it did most of the time it had issues connecting to internet. This is running the firmware for each from page one so for me could be a dodgy rbs50 all along.

Message 639 of 762
angr
Star

Ok, reporting back again another week in with the new beta code.

Using 1x RBR50, 1x RBS50, 2x RBS40, 1x RBW30

My system is working the best it ever had since I bought it well over a year ago! 

I'm finally able to move around with more or less seamless mesh. Previously I often had to re-start wifi on my iPhones or Macs when I moved around in the house because hand-over between the router and sats or between sats were not working properly. Now it does.

I also had a lot of issues with my wall plugg (RBW30) specifically, hanging clients and requiring regular reboots. Now it doesn't.

I'm still also not experiencing the intermittent issue of wifi dropping on individual devices while still working on others. 

Overall, I'm super-pleased with this BETA which has finally made my (big) investment worth-while. 

I have a tick in all the boxes under Advanced Wireless;

x Implicit BEAMFORMING

x Enable MU-MIMO

x Enable Fast Roaming

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 640 of 762
--Chuck
Guide

I was running 2.1.2.18 (after several fw updates) on my Orbi system purchased on 18/Nov/2016. 

After trying 2.1.3.4, my Samsung Galaxy S6 would connect for a while then disconnect without notice. Attempts to reconnect failed with Authentication errors

I could turn off WiFi on the phone and it would reconnect for a while, till something would cause it to disconnect again.

The phone is running Android 7.0. 

I also have a tablet running Win10 that seemed to connect fine. There wasn't any problem after a sleep and wakeup cycle.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 641 of 762
RJD
Star
Star

I purchased my original kit in Feb 2017 (£380 at the time) and wall plugs Jan 2018 so the original kit is out of the usual warranty period
Message 642 of 762
rhester72
Virtuoso

@angr wrote:

Ok, reporting back again another week in with the new beta code.

Using 1x RBR50, 1x RBS50, 2x RBS40, 1x RBW30

My system is working the best it ever had since I bought it well over a year ago! 

I'm finally able to move around with more or less seamless mesh. Previously I often had to re-start wifi on my iPhones or Macs when I moved around in the house because hand-over between the router and sats or between sats were not working properly. Now it does.

I also had a lot of issues with my wall plugg (RBW30) specifically, hanging clients and requiring regular reboots. Now it doesn't.

I'm still also not experiencing the intermittent issue of wifi dropping on individual devices while still working on others. 

Overall, I'm super-pleased with this BETA which has finally made my (big) investment worth-while. 

I have a tick in all the boxes under Advanced Wireless;

x Implicit BEAMFORMING

x Enable MU-MIMO

x Enable Fast Roaming

I assume this setup is in an extremely large (read: > 7500 sq ft) space?

That many units is going to result in pretty extreme signal overlap otherwise, which would easily have explained your roaming issues irrespective of firmware level.

More does not always = better.

Message 643 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset been performed then set up from scratch?

Try using manual channel 1, 6 or 11 and any used channel on 5ghz.

Disable beamforming, mimo, daisy chain and fast roaming.

Try setting 40Mhz coexistence only...

@--Chuck wrote:

I was running 2.1.2.18 (after several fw updates) on my Orbi system purchased on 18/Nov/2016. 

After trying 2.1.3.4, my Samsung Galaxy S6 would connect for a while then disconnect without notice. Attempts to reconnect failed with Authentication errors

I could turn off WiFi on the phone and it would reconnect for a while, till something would cause it to disconnect again.

The phone is running Android 7.0. 

I also have a tablet running Win10 that seemed to connect fine. There wasn't any problem after a sleep and wakeup cycle.

Message 644 of 762
--Chuck
Guide

Thanks for the reply. Since it was only my smart phones that had a problem, I didn't think it was necessary to reset.
In addition, I did not disable beamforming, mimo, daisy chain or fast roaming.

I'll try your suggestions later this week.
Message 645 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, yes a reset should be done.

Let us know how it goes.

@--Chuck wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Since it was only my smart phones that had a problem, I didn't think it was necessary to reset.
In addition, I did not disable beamforming, mimo, daisy chain or fast roaming.

I'll try your suggestions later this week.

Message 646 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please test one satellite out with out any of these switches in between. NON managed switches shouldn't be a problem however need to rule them out...

Please give 5 minutes after connecting the satellites ethernet cable to the router before checking the status.

I see the one switch uses Green technology, possible issue here, however don't know for sure:

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail?prod=515_TEG-S80G

Try testing the satellite with the DLink switch alone after testing direct with the router.

@turns2stone wrote:

D-Link DGS-1024D for main, and TRENDnet TEG-S80G in the secondary rooms. Both unmanaged.

I tested the satellites just connected to the main/D-Link switch, still can't get Ethernet backhaul to work.

Just now, I connected a satellite directly to the Orbi Router, and it still won't show/do Ethernet backhaul. The GUI shows that it's using 5G backhaul.

I'd really like to get this sorted out ASAP, as AT&T is installing 1Gbps internet tomorrow, and I want my Wi-Fi to scream 🙂

Message 647 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the cable of good quality between the satellite and router? Swap out to be sure. 

After connecting and giving 5 minutes for the system to reconfigure. Do a reboot on the router. Clear browser caches then check the status of the conection on the router. 

@turns2stone wrote:

I tested the satellites just connected to the main/D-Link switch, still can't get Ethernet backhaul to work.

Just now, I connected a satellite directly to the Orbi Router, and it still won't show/do Ethernet backhaul. The GUI shows that it's using 5G backhaul.

I'd really like to get this sorted out ASAP, as AT&T is installing 1Gbps internet tomorrow, and I want my Wi-Fi to scream 🙂

Message 648 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the cable of good quality between the satellite and router? Swap out to be sure. 

After connecting and giving 5 minutes for the system to reconfigure. Do a reboot on the router. Clear browser caches then check the status of the conection on the router. 

@turns2stone wrote:

After several reboots of everything, I was able to get wired backhaul working via direct connection from satellite to router. Now I've moved the satellite back to it's main home/room. Only a single switch in between the router and the satellite, but I still cannot get it to work again.

Message 649 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible cabling between the router and satellite and or this switch. If it worked directly connected to the router using different cableing, Then you'll need to check cabling and this switch. Which switch are you using here? 

@turns2stone wrote:

After several reboots of everything, I was able to get wired backhaul working via direct connection from satellite to router. Now I've moved the satellite back to it's main home/room. Only a single switch in between the router and the satellite, but I still cannot get it to work again.

Message 650 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7