Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

wchp
Luminary

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

@turns2stone wrote: 

After several reboots of everything, I was able to get wired backhaul working via direct connection from satellite to router. Now I've moved the satellite back to it's main home/room. Only a single switch in between the router and the satellite, but I still cannot get it to work again.

Just a thought... have you tried power cycling the switch so it rebuilds its arp table?

Message 651 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

@wchp wrote:

@turns2stone wrote: 

After several reboots of everything, I was able to get wired backhaul working via direct connection from satellite to router. Now I've moved the satellite back to it's main home/room. Only a single switch in between the router and the satellite, but I still cannot get it to work again.

Just a thought... have you tried power cycling the switch so it rebuilds its arp table?

No, but that is a great idea. Will try.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Possible cabling between the router and satellite and or this switch. If it worked directly connected to the router using different cableing, Then you'll need to check cabling and this switch. Which switch are you using here? 

Switch is D-Link DGS-1024D, cabling is all Cat6 solid core UTP, never had an issue before.

Message 652 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if power cycling the switch does anything. Odd that the satellite works drirectly connected and doesnt with this switch and LAN cabling in the mix...

orbi-lifestyle.png

Message 653 of 762
wifi_en
Star

Is it safe to upgrade 2.1.3?

Message 654 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What model system do you have. Make sure it's available for your model system. 

It's safe to update. Please do a factory reset after the update and set up from scratch. Update the Satellite(s) first then the router.

@wifi_en wrote:

Is it safe to upgrade 2.1.3?

Message 655 of 762
wchp
Luminary

Just to be clear... When you reset your Router and Satellites with a paper clip, the user has to hold the reset button until the orange light starts blinking. 

I only mention this because in another discussion another user thought the LED on the back only had to turn orange and didn't realize they had to continue holding in the reset button until the LED was BLINKING orange for a full reset.

@steve8411 wrote:

You can factory reset till your paperclip turns to rust .... turn on/off whatever feature till your mouse battery dies... Ain't gonna solve anything.

Message 656 of 762
dbr342905732908
Aspirant

The links for the RBR40 and RBS40 do not work for me.  Are those 2.1.3 firmware files active?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 657 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know if power cycling the switch does anything. Odd that the satellite works drirectly connected and doesnt with this switch and LAN cabling in the mix...

orbi-lifestyle.png

Didn't help, or change the behavior 😞 There must be some odd combination of resets/power-cycles that I'm not doing correctly. System seems more stable now on 2.1.3.4, and I don't think my iPad Pro 9.7 has been kicked off with this firmware, whereas it was a daily occurance before I upgraded.

Message 658 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

My iPad 9.7 was the main culprit having the same issue...

This firmware makes it better, but it still happens (requiring a cycling of wifi on the iPad). Just happens less frequently.

I also noticed with this beta, the battery on the iPad lasts much longer on Wifi ...  have you noticed this yet @turns2stone ???

Message 659 of 762
turns2stone
Apprentice

@steve8411 wrote:

This firmware makes it better, but it still happens (requiring a cycling of wifi on the iPad). Just happens less frequently.

I also noticed with this beta, the battery on the iPad lasts much longer on Wifi ...  have you noticed this yet @turns2stone ???

I have noticed any difference in battery life/performance with this firmware and my iPad Pro 9.7, but I haven't really been paying attention.

Message 660 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be something in the iOS as well on this iPad. 

@turns2stone wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

orbi-lifestyle.png

Didn't help, or change the behavior 😞 There must be some odd combination of resets/power-cycles that I'm not doing correctly. System seems more stable now on 2.1.3.4, and I don't think my iPad Pro 9.7 has been kicked off with this firmware, whereas it was a daily occurance before I upgraded.

Message 661 of 762
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

@turns2stone wrote:

@steve8411 wrote:

I have noticed any difference in battery life/performance with this firmware and my iPad Pro 9.7, but I haven't really been paying attention.

I agree it still happens but not as frequently.  

And battery life is degraded as devices are searching and reconnecting to networks.  So if it doesn't have to do that as often, and it's reliable and stable, battery life will be better.

Message 662 of 762
ktoonsez
Star

Just another quick update from me, been traveling alot for work and my wife has had zero issues while I was away.   SO I am now at almost 28 days with zero issues and here is a screen shot of the .debug.htm.  

orbi.png

Message 663 of 762
Kristofior
Guide

Hi, 

Does this 2.1 beta support the 'daisy chain' ? 

I have the router at topmost position in my house and I need to reach my underground garage with 2 RBS50 between at each level of the house.

(of course a RBS50 in the garage cannot reach directmy the RBR50 router and I need it to go through RBS50->RBS50->RBS50->RBR50)

Is it stable and working good ?

Regards,

Kristo.

Message 664 of 762
Planetom
Star

When will there be a new firmware?

This piece of **bleep** just isn't working

(yes I treid it all several times all configs multiple resets)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 665 of 762
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Working really well again here in AP mode, stable on v2.1.3.4. Have various clients, iPads, iPhones, Android phone and tablet, TV's, laptop, desktops, T-Mobile CellSpot extender, and so on, and have had no problems with clients. Had a few problems with 2.1.2.18, but none with 2.1.3.4.

I just hope that Netgear can keep putting out stable firmware, since auto-update to the latest version pretty much ties my hands when it comes to staying on the latest version that worked for me. I really wish that wasn't the case, but I feel like I need a backup for the Orbi, since I never know when Netgear's going to screw up, and I have no defense for that unless I have a backup. It would be really helpful if one could temporarily disable auto-update in case of incompatible clients and/or firmware problems.

Message 666 of 762
diarmuidma
Star

I definitely think this version is less stable on older orbis.
I managed to capture a Oops kernel crash shame netgear dont have support that wants feedback or pre beta community testers so we could help fix issues. I'm sticking with old much more stable firmware.
Message 667 of 762
Kaio85
Aspirant

Hi, 

The links are dead 😞

Can you please fix them.

RBR40: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=NWHSwvM06n 

RBS40: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=SoxDgoIHIg

It would be nice to test the new firmware because the wifi drops with my ios devices are annoying 😉

Thank you

Message 668 of 762
Jojo121278
Star

Hi,

in the german community has someone the firmware 2.2.X.X

Look:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK50-mit-Firmware-2-1-3-4/m-p/1552964#M1135

Possible the team will open this beta firmware;

lg

Juergen from Austria

Message 669 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289

@diarmuidma wrote:
I managed to capture a Oops kernel crash shame netgear dont have support that wants feedback or pre beta community testers so we could help fix issues. I'm sticking with old much more stable firmware.

Message 670 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and ask for an RMA, you may have bad HW that FW can't fix.

@Planetom wrote:

When will there be a new firmware?

This piece of **bleep** just isn't working

(yes I treid it all several times all configs multiple resets)

Message 671 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

For the 50 series, yes.

Please do a factory reset after loading FW and set up from scratch if you update. It's needed on this version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289

@Kristofior wrote:

Hi, 

Does this 2.1 beta support the 'daisy chain' ? 

I have the router at topmost position in my house and I need to reach my underground garage with 2 RBS50 between at each level of the house.

(of course a RBS50 in the garage cannot reach directmy the RBR50 router and I need it to go through RBS50->RBS50->RBS50->RBR50)

Is it stable and working good ?

Regards,

Kristo.

Message 672 of 762
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@diarmuidma wrote:

My Orbi was purchased back in 10/2016. Doing fine on 2.1.3.4 after about 1.5 years. Is that old enough *smile*? Anyways, I agree about Beta testing firmware. I've seen that Netgear does that with people that are having problems, but I don't know how much Beta firmware testing they do with people that aren't currently having problems. Seems like that would be a good thing to do as well, to catch oncoming problems before those problems are auto-updated onto all our routers. I, for one, would be happy to Beta test new firmware. It's in my interest to do that, and I enjoy Beta testing.

Message 673 of 762
timch
Luminary

13 days now and not a glitch. Performance is very fast but then again I’ve not had problems on previous firmware versions. Hope others are now joining me in the ranks of very satisfied customers.
Message 674 of 762
globespy
Apprentice

I'm probably getting close to a month without having to touch anything!

I'm seeing higher WiFi speeds than often reported by Cat6 wired devices.

I have had Google WiFi - garbage.

I had the Velop, which was excellent.

I had avoided the Orbi because of the bad feedback - plus I don't have a great history with Network and their sub-par 90 day tech support among other issues.

But this thing is a beast. I don't want to touch the FW - V2.1.3.4 is how this should be and I am hoping because it was a 'beta' that I might be able to avoid any updates.

If it ain't broke.....

Message 675 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7