Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

b1ggjoe
Apprentice

@FURRYe38,

Hello there! LOL so I was planning on doing a manual firmware upgrade to the latest firmware earlier this evening. Then I just found out that somehow, the Orbi Router and Satellites were automatically upgraded to the latest Firmware V2.1.4.10.

Keep in mind that I was previously on Firmware V2.1.2.18 and had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Non at all.

That said, the Release Notes do not show a whole lot of bug fixes.

1. - So my first question is: Is there more to this new Firmware than what is listed on the Release Notes?

2. - Also, at the time of this writing, I am not experiencing any issues at all. Should I go ahead and do a 'Factory Reset' any way? Or should I wait until I start seeing issues. If the latter, what issues should I look out for?

Thanks!

BJ

Message 726 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

You can look at release notes from v2.1.3.4 as well as this would be included in v2.1.4.10.

No, let the system run. If your not experiencing any issues. 

If you seem to, try and power off the Orbi system for 1 minute then back on and check. 

@b1ggjoe wrote:

@FURRYe38,

Hello there! LOL so I was planning on doing a manual firmware upgrade to the latest firmware earlier this evening. Then I just found out that somehow, the Orbi Router and Satellites were automatically upgraded to the latest Firmware V2.1.4.10.

Keep in mind that I was previously on Firmware V2.1.2.18 and had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Non at all.

That said, the Release Notes do not show a whole lot of bug fixes.

1. - So my first question is: Is there more to this new Firmware than what is listed on the Release Notes?

2. - Also, at the time of this writing, I am not experiencing any issues at all. Should I go ahead and do a 'Factory Reset' any way? Or should I wait until I start seeing issues. If the latter, what issues should I look out for?

Thanks!

BJ

Message 727 of 762
mastervisa30
Luminary

Yes netgear please turn off autoupdate,and make this and option to turn off and on autoupdate.

so if there is problem in the future we can use older firmware thats working.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 728 of 762
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mastervisa30 wrote:

Yes netgear please turn off autoupdate,and make this and option to turn off and on autoupdate.

Fix what?

If you turn off auto update then you're happy.  No problems.  So what are you fixing?   Older FW would fall under roll-back which I beleive is already available.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Message 729 of 762

@Retired_Member wrote:

@mastervisa30 wrote:

Fix what?

If you turn off auto update then you're happy.  No problems.  So what are you fixing?   Older FW would fall under roll-back which I beleive is already available.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I believe what they're saying is they'd like to turn off auto-update such that they can install older firmware...and have it stay that way until a time of their choosing. 

Short of cutting off access to Netgear's firmware servers, you can roll back to older firmware, but you can't prevent it rolling forward ten minutes later.

Message 730 of 762
mpf541
Apprentice

Yes turn off auto update. Let me have the choice if i want an update. Letting netgear decide this broke my system and it took 5 months to start working right again. I would much rather make these decisions myself rather than let netgear break it again. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 731 of 762
khudsn7
Star

This upgrade is a disaster for me.  I have about 30 home automation items connected to Apple homekit, and some cameras from Ring.  All were working fine, before this auto update.  Suddenly the Ring camera will not connect at all, at least several of my Lifx lights have trouble connecting and the homekit app is constantly saying many of my items have "no response" verious times throughout the day.  This did not happen before this update.  The homekit problem was suppose to be one of the fixes but it broke what was working before. This use to be the best router system I ever had, now it is the worst. PLEASE at the very least....give us a way to roll back to the working version.

Message 732 of 762
setham
Star

@khudsn7 wrote:

This is driving me nuts.  After spending many hours trying to find out why several of my home automation products(lifx lights, ring camera) suddenly stopped working...that is, stop connecting to the internet and after trying to reconnect them many times, without success, I have finally realized that this router updated itself(without my knowledge) to this new update.  They were all connecting just fine for many months and now, realizing this update went in around the time they stopped connecting, I suspect this update as something to do with it.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have v2.1.4.10.  Can I reload the previous version?  How can I do that?  I used to have a full head of hair.  Now...not so much!

Ken

Hello,

Last week my Orbi system (RBK53 = RBR50 + 2x RBS50)  after working without any major issue on v2.1.3.4 for a few weeks started to drop connections or Internet access. I was not sure what was happening, I rebooted the system many times and without any improvement. Then I realized that the Orbi was auto-updated to v2.1.4.10.

What it worked for me, and has been a week now, was to run off all the Orbis (not reboot, not factory reset, just turn them off) and turn them back on one by one, I waited until the RBR50 was up and connected to Internet, then the first RBS50, again I waited until it showed connected to the RBR50 and then the last RBS50.

All my devices (~50 that include switches, lights, cameras, and other automation stuff) has worked fine for a week now.

I hope this helps.

Message 733 of 762
ORBICALI
Aspirant

Purchased the RBIK50 w/Sat.  On installation Orbi updated firmware. Otherwise ok.  Starteeg getting the dropouts over the next few days.  Checked firmware ver on both Main and Sat.  Interface said both had the latest firmware but the St also said "wait for a minute" or somthing similar in the interface.  Checked multiple times wiith the same outcome.  Key (I think) ... I also could not login to the Sat, only the Main unit.  I did a factory reset of the Sat and reconnected it to the Main.  Thus far, no dropouts and I can login to the Sat.   Good luck. 

Message 734 of 762
mastervisa30
Luminary

Got my new replacement rbk53 yesterday, using last firmware now,i had rbk53 before but had to send back due to one defective satelite,now im trying again latest firmware,I have open purchases for 2 months,so far its workig great,have lots of device,nest protect systems,ipads laptops,many ip camera,iphones,nvr using ip camera, my kids is gamers.

So far its verry good at my place,using one router and 2 satelittes.

I have tried some other mesh/aimesh systems,asus,velop,lyra,so far i like orbi best.

I will try 2months now and se how it goes,if i have some problems in the future,after 2months i dont have any problem sending it back to my store.workig great 2 days:)

Using all my devices the orbi is the best for me i think.

Message 735 of 762
andreajr
Aspirant

The latest update is deplorable, several times a day I have NO INTERNET on orbi, yet, if I hop onto SKY everything works. I have the main RBR50 & 2 satellites, which worked MOST of the time until a few weeks ago. All on firmware v.2.1.4.10.
Losing faith in Netgear, by the second !!!!!!!!

Message 736 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

Yep ... the "engineers" need to be reassigned to a proper position.  Maybe janitorial staff.

Message 737 of 762
mpf541
Apprentice

@steve8411 wrote:

Yep ... the "engineers" need to be reassigned to a proper position.  Maybe janitorial staff. 

pretty sure the toilets would back up then.

Message 738 of 762
globespy
Apprentice

I'm just noticing that the beta FW that worked so great was automatically updated to this new version that some seem to be having trouble with.
I think I can recall when all this happened as it was an evening and my connection went down and the satellites were purple/red color indicating a problem. I powered down everything, unplugged the ethernet backhaul from the satellites, then powered up only the router and allowed it to come online (checked the webpage login) and then one by one turned on the satellites, waiting for them to be connected before moving to the next. After that I plugged back in my ethernet.

Online for 10 days 9 hours and counting with great WiFi and ethernet speeds.

Perhaps it's device specific?
My RKKB53 (Costco) which is the RBR50 and 2x RBS50 devices have been working without a single problem.

Message 739 of 762
wegunterjr
Guide

I saw that I had tmr update after having some issues with connections and then noticing I couldn't connect to anything that was connected with an ethernet cable to the satellite. I did what the previous post suggested, powered everything off, then just turned on the router. Then connected one satellite at a time... wifi seems okay, but still nothing can connect to the ethernet ports of my satellites.... my router is connected to a modem and my satellites are wireless... but connect devices to the satellites with what a cable. Any help is appreciated
Message 740 of 762
Kai12
Initiate

Newbie here.  My firmware is 2.1.4.10 and I installed the Orbi today and it's working fine.  Someone please lay out the procedure for connecting and activating ethernet backhaul between the router and the satellite.  Thank you.

Message 741 of 762
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@Kai12 wrote:

Newbie here.  My firmware is 2.1.4.10 and I installed the Orbi today and it's working fine.  Someone please lay out the procedure for connecting and activating ethernet backhaul between the router and the satellite.  Thank you.

Just wire the satellite to one of the router’s LAN ports. Then wait several minutes for the router to notice the new connection. It could take 5 minutes. If you have more than 1 satellite, wire 1 at a time and wait for each to be noticed.

Message 742 of 762
Kai12
Initiate

Thank you.  Unplug the satellite first...connect via ethernet...wait for connection to be noticed or just connect by ethernet without first powering down?

Message 743 of 762
leightonn
Tutor

My system got auto-updated from v2.1.2.18 to v2.1.4.10 and I've been experiencing stability issues ever since. It would just drop wifi connection every few minutes. I tried resetting to factory default and that didn't help. I've also downgraded to 2.1.2.18 which was more stable but it has since auto-upgraded back to v2.1.4.10 although I turned off the auto-update feature via telnet.

Since I work from home, I need stable connection and this is driving me crazy! I previously used an ASUS Nighthawk  R7000 and while it worked well I didn't have coverage in some areas of my two-story home (3000+ sq ft).  Before the firmware updates, I was happy.  Now I'm pretty close to ditching Orbi and trying Google Wifi or something else. 

P.S. This is the second time I've had issues with firmware updates causing stability issues.

Message 744 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

I would do a factory reset on the entire system and set up from scratch as well since your was updated from older FW.

@leightonn wrote:

My system got auto-updated from v2.1.2.18 to v2.1.4.10 and I've been experiencing stability issues ever since. It would just drop wifi connection every few minutes. I tried resetting to factory default and that didn't help. I've also downgraded to 2.1.2.18 which was more stable but it has since auto-upgraded back to v2.1.4.10 although I turned off the auto-update feature via telnet.

Since I work from home, I need stable connection and this is driving me crazy! I previously used an ASUS Nighthawk  R7000 and while it worked well I didn't have coverage in some areas of my two-story home (3000+ sq ft).  Before the firmware updates, I was happy.  Now I'm pretty close to ditching Orbi and trying Google Wifi or something else. 

P.S. This is the second time I've had issues with firmware updates causing stability issues.

@leightonn wrote:

Message 745 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I would update the satellite, factory reset the satellite after the update, then re-add the satellite via wireless first. Then plug in the ethernet cable and give 5 minutes for the system to re-configure.

@Kai12 wrote:

Thank you.  Unplug the satellite first...connect via ethernet...wait for connection to be noticed or just connect by ethernet without first powering down?

Message 746 of 762
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

Hi

I just bought the RBK53 set and updated all the units to the firmware version 2.1.4.16 last night

However, there are lots of problems with it.

Attach the router to the internet (without any satelites attached),  the router is able to give me speed up to 500 MB/s using speedtest app on my iphone.

When i attach 1 of the 2 satelites via ethernet backhaul and place the satelite about 50 metres away from the router, the speed reported dropped to 90MB/s. Why?

When i powered off the satelite, the network speed went back to 500 MB/s again.

Why is there a drop in network speed when the satelite is attached?

Message 747 of 762
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

hi

What is the outcome of your network for RBK53?

I have very bad performance problem

regards

chris

Message 748 of 762
Cmo1
Apprentice

Any new betas in the works? 2.1.4.16 is more stable thaqn previous releases, but my wireless performance has really taken a hit since changing

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 749 of 762
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

The last unit of RBK53 had a problem with drop of network speed. My office network is 200 Mbps. however, it dropped to 40 Mbps. Dont know why. Running on 2.1.4.16 firmware

It was changed with a new one with a smaller packaging.

I thought the new one (also upgraded to 2.1.4.16)  would be better but it could not handle alot of ARP messages from my CCTV. The last one could handle and the web page did not hang. This new one hang the web page and it became unresponsive. All the CCTV images could not be shown on my CCTV recorder

The Netgear 6300v2 was able to handle the same number of CCTV cameras. Why?

Another bug from Netgear?

Message 750 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7