Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Our teams are still working through the issues, but I wanted to provide a quick update on OrbiOS 2.1.  We usually wait to release our software until it's available across all Orbi product lines, but in a departure from our normal processes, we’re going to the release BETA software for our products in a staggered manner.  The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.  If you have a kit that includes a different hardware product (including RBK52W, RBK40 series or RBK30 series) or a RBK50 or RBK53 with an add-on satellite (RBS40, RBW30), please hang tight.  We’re not quite done with it yet, but will update this thread when it’s ready. 

Edit for clarity:  This release supports both Circle & Ethernet backhaul

Edit2:  Updated with the 2nd wave of firmware for RBR40, RBS40, RBR20 and RBS20.  This supports the following SKUs:  RBK40, RBK43, RBK44, RBK20, RBK22, RBK23.

Edit3:  Updated for RBW30, to support RBK30, RBK33, RBK52W, and others

We’re not yet going to push this release this for auto-firmware upgrade, and will let you know before we do.  If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Support. 

Rel Notes:

• Fixes issues where Internet access is not available on some devices, but available on others.
  • Fixes an issue where Satellites get disconnected from Router
  • Provides protection for the MDNS packet flood issue
  • Addresses an issue where websites set to unmanaged are unreachable
  • Multiple other connectivity & RF improvements

BETA MR 2.1.3 software can be found here:  

RBR50: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=rFfsb14M2q

RBS50: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=0UBXh9aus6

RBR40: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=dnNl6nqBSj

RBS40: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=FEaFlGNCuW

RBW30: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=x990UeDEdo

RBR20: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=IOMUioMSLU  

RBS20: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=S5JDrBEG2f

How to do a manual firmware upgrade:  https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite

Orbi Product Teamorbi-lifestyle.png

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 762
doccelo
Star

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Thanks, Netgear team.  I'm on 2.0.1.4 currently and having disconnect issues. Will download betas now and report back after some time testing it.

Message 2 of 762
bbunge
Star

Downgraded from the 2.2 Beta successfully. Was a bit disappointed to see a release in the 2.1 series which means that wired backhaul is still not supported. Was also wishing for new fearures, like sharing USB drive and QOS control. Guess it was too much to wish for.

On another note I was shopping at a Target today and noticed the RBK30 for $199.00. That is a $50 markdown...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 762
guzzijason
Apprentice

I think it's good that they limit scope to fixes and stabilization, rather than new features for now.

Message 4 of 762
SharkSight
Aspirant

Although mine has been running pretty solid, I will give this a try.  I would concur that they should focus on stablity for those users who are having issues and want a trouble-free experience.  I'd love to see the ability to turn off 2.4g or a few other customization features, but am happy I am lucky to be stable and the product has been working as advertised.

Message 5 of 762
wchp
Luminary

QUESTION FOR NETGEAR  - ATTN AmitR

Is the recommended procedure to update the satellites, then the router to V2.1.3.4...

and then hard reset (paperclip) the satellites and router after they come back up after the update...

and manually configure them from scratch to eliminate any old settings  (that may carry forward) that are not applicable to this version of firmware?

Message 6 of 762
b1ggjoe
Apprentice

Hello Netgear,

Just so that I understand, for the RBK50 firmware;

Does the RBK50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.1.2.18 support Ethernet Backhaul still?

Does the RBK50 BETA MR 2.1.3 Firmwaresupport Ethernet Backhaul?

Thanks!

BJ

Message 7 of 762
bbunge
Star

@bbungewrote:

Downgraded from the 2.2 Beta successfully. Was a bit disappointed to see a release in the 2.1 series which means that wired backhaul is still not supported. Was also wishing for new fearures, like sharing USB drive and QOS control. Guess it was too much to wish for.

On another note I was shopping at a Target today and noticed the RBK30 for $199.00. That is a $50 markdown...

Well, I have to report that I brought the RBS50 close enough to the RBR50 to connect them with a 25 FT. CAT5, ethernet port to ethernet port.  I watched the Attached Devices page and saw the satellite Connection Type go from 5G to 2.4G back and forth several times then show Wired. Has been stable on WIred Connection Type since then. Looks like Wired backhaul is supported but saw nothing in the release notes about it. Netgear comment?

Message 8 of 762
Dd852
Luminary

I'd been on 2.1.2.18 and have been stable (unlike some other people) for many weeks - ever since its release. Decided to give this beta a try. Upgrade went smoothly and so far all seems fine. 

Message 9 of 762
henrydav
Aspirant

Yes it does support Ethernet backhaul.
Message 10 of 762
larryindublin
Luminary

here goes nothing...

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 11 of 762
russellmoran99
Luminary

I just updated my RBR50 and RBS50 to this beta firmware. My iProducts drop all the time. Hoping this fixes the issue!!! Very hopeful.
Message 12 of 762
larryindublin
Luminary

@larryindublinwrote:

here goes nothing...

And we're back.... Not a fancy setup. Wireless backhaul. Only currently using Router and 1 Satellite until the basement is finished. uPNP turned off. Fast Roaming turned on. Otherwise default (using OpenDNS dns servers though).

Everything came back up.... Will report any stabilty issues (although knock wood, I was pretty stable and not in the "damn you Orbi" crew).

Message 13 of 762
dalnew
Tutor

Update went smoothly, but  my two satellites that are supposed to be using ethernet backhaul are both listed as using 5G backhaul on the RBR. A little disappointed by this. I was hoping all those issues had been resolved.

Message 14 of 762
Prelector
Aspirant

Updated from the 2.1.2.18 beta easily enough, no issues there.  However, ethernet backhaul doesn't work. First attempt took the system down initially when I plugged in the cable.  Eventually it recovered, but device list was showing satellite connected via 2.4g.  Rebooted everything, disconnected satellite ethernet, everything came back ok.  Reconnected ethernet to satellite, and took system down again.  This time, it didn't recover on it's own and I had to disconnect satellite ethernet.  Once disconnected, system immediately came back up.

Message 15 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I've noticed that when you plug in the ethernet cable, it takes about a minute or two to get going again. You might give it more time. 

Is there any network Gb switches in between the Satellite and router? If so, what is the Mfr and model# and is it a managed or non managed switch. I have two in between my Satellite and it took a good minute or two to get going. Been up and running. My switches are not managed however. 

@Prelectorwrote:

Updated from the 2.1.2.18 beta easily enough, no issues there.  However, ethernet backhaul doesn't work. First attempt took the system down initially when I plugged in the cable.  Eventually it recovered, but device list was showing satellite connected via 2.4g.  Rebooted everything, disconnected satellite ethernet, everything came back ok.  Reconnected ethernet to satellite, and took system down again.  This time, it didn't recover on it's own and I had to disconnect satellite ethernet.  Once disconnected, system immediately came back up.

Message 16 of 762
joknutsen
Guide

Came from stable 2.1.2.18 with one sat using ethernet backhaul, the second sat using wifi backhaul. After upgrading to latest beta I had to unplug ethernet backhaul for the system to stabalize. Not sure if the new FW is an improvement over 2.1.2.18 for me. Time will show.

Message 17 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I've noticed that when you plug in the ethernet cable, it takes about a minute or two to get going again. You might give it more time. 

Is there any network Gb switches in between the Satellite and router? If so, what is the Mfr and model# and is it a managed or non managed switch.

Did you also factory reset the router and satellite after applying the new Beta FW and set up from scratch? 

@joknutsenwrote:

Came from stable 2.1.2.18 with one sat using ethernet backhaul, the second sat using wifi backhaul. After upgrading to latest beta I had to unplug ethernet backhaul for the system to stabalize. Not sure if the new FW is an improvement over 2.1.2.18 for me. Time will show.

Message 18 of 762
joknutsen
Guide

I did an normal manual update (sat first then router). There is a switch un the network but not between the router and the sat, it is also unmanaged and I doubt it is causing any issues. I did not do a factory reset simply because the time it would take to set everything up again. I also tried allowing the system to stabalize for about 30 minutes (with just one sat connected). But the router kept negotiating with the sat (when connected using ethernet backhaul), it toggled between ethernet, 5g backhaul and 2.4g backhaul. 

at this stage I am not going to invest any time doing a factory reset unless it is proven by others that it solved the problem. If the system is stable and working on 5g backhaul then I will stick with it untill stable 2.2 is released.

Message 19 of 762
mealto
Star

Just did a manual upgrade from 2.0.1.4. Let's see how this goes. Still have not enabled these yet, just in case:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING

Enable MU-MIMO

Enable Fast Roaming

Message 20 of 762
Prelector
Aspirant

I gave it a good 10 minutes each try to stabilize, but no joy.  I didn't do a hard reset, because of the time to readdress things.  I'll likely sit at this point with wireless backhaul until I see some empirical evidence it's working in this version.

Message 21 of 762
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I’m surprised this beta release is a 2.1 and not a 2.2. Is 2.2 now a dead end? It’s working fine for me in terms of network stability. The only bugs I see are in the GUI, not the network. 

I’d love to know whether this 2.1.3.4 improves upon my 2.2.0.30-20180221, and if so, how?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 22 of 762
bbunge
Star

@Prelectorwrote:

I gave it a good 10 minutes each try to stabilize, but no joy.  I didn't do a hard reset, because of the time to readdress things.  I'll likely sit at this point with wireless backhaul until I see some empirical evidence it's working in this version.

I did not do a factory reset coming from firmware 2.2 beta with my RBK50. I did the upgrade to the satellite, RBS50 over WIFI backhaul with the satellite about 40 feet from the router. When the satellite started to reboot I started the upgrade of the router, RBS50. Once both were stable I shut the satellite down and connected the ethernet cable, direct wired to the router. Took a few minutes for the satellite to get the wired backhaul connected but it was a stable connection. I did a reboot from the web gui of the system and the wired connection came back up. I did use a purchased CAT5 cable that is marked as certified. I would strongly recommend you test any cable you fabricate. GIG ethernet can be unforgiving with a bad cable.

Message 23 of 762
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do not believe the WEB GUI when trying to determine if ethernet backhaul is working.  Download SPEEDTEST app to your phone and place your phone next to ethernet connected satellite.  Even after several minutes the WEB GUI isn't sinking properly (for me) but each of my two wired ethernet satellites is getting 400 Mbps Up and Down (I have a 1000 Mbps service which I can only get when directly wired into my router)

Message 24 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I highly recommend doing a Factory reset after installing the beta FW. This probably has major changes and updates to the code. To ensure the beta FW is installed and seated well and to give it a solid chance, a factory reset should be performed and set up from scratch. I can attest to ethernet back haul IS working on my Orbi system. Factory reset performed and then set up from scratch. Two non managed Gb network switches between my 1 Satellite and the Orbi router. 

Give the new FW a chance. Take the time and do the reset and set up from scratch. 

Message 25 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7