Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

martyfp
Luminary

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

I am currently running 2.1.4.10 (with no real issues) and when I log into the orbi, it's telling me that the 2.1.4.16 upgrade is available.   

It's been like that for a couple of weeks (maybe more, I have not noticed).  I've ignored it. 

What is strange is that it has not auto-updated.    I've not done any of the hacks to try to prevent the auto-update from happening so I am curious as-to why it didn't update.

I'm not complaining - my system runs fine and I don't particularly want to risk upgrading.   

Message 751 of 762
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MartyFp

This is how it is suppose to work we didn't want to make the latest firmware auto update just yet give people the option of running the firmware best for them atm.

DarrenM

Message 752 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's working, then no need to update. 

"if it works, don't fix it!"

@martyfp wrote:

I am currently running 2.1.4.10 (with no real issues) and when I log into the orbi, it's telling me that the 2.1.4.16 upgrade is available.   

It's been like that for a couple of weeks (maybe more, I have not noticed).  I've ignored it. 

What is strange is that it has not auto-updated.    I've not done any of the hacks to try to prevent the auto-update from happening so I am curious as-to why it didn't update.

I'm not complaining - my system runs fine and I don't particularly want to risk upgrading.   

Message 753 of 762
martyfp
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If it's working, then no need to update. 

"if it works, don't fix it!"

I am with you on that Smiley Happy  I'm just curious why it hasn't auto-updated. 

Message 754 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the system been rebooted at all? Usually a auto update is triggerd possible by a reboot. Maybe NG stopped doing auto updates with v.16

Well, Keep going for now. 

Message 755 of 762
martyfp
Luminary

system has been up for about a month according to the router stats - no reboots in that time 🙂

Message 756 of 762
martyfp
Luminary

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello MartyFp

This is how it is suppose to work we didn't want to make the latest firmware auto update just yet give people the option of running the firmware best for them atm.

DarrenM

Thanks Darren.   That makes sense

Message 757 of 762
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

Dear Darren

Is there any syslog on the Orbi Router? If yes, how can i access to it?

I want to know what is the cause of the Orbi Router web page hanging. 

It was so busy that all my CCTV cameras disconnected from my NVR.

Also it also had hard time trying to find the satellites as well.

Message 758 of 762
Cmo1
Apprentice

Yes. You have to click on the advanced tab once you login to orbilogin.com and it is under administration and then logs
Message 759 of 762
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

Version : 2.1.4.16 for both router and satellite

I made a screen capture video of the RBK53. 

I am currently using 1 router and 1 satellite.

When the satellite is not attached to the router, the router works fine.

Until the satellite is attached as shown in 2:59 of the video, the router does not work well when the client is pinging to the router

At 4:22, i tried to get the debug log from the router, no response from router.

At 7:47, the web page to show google main page is also not working

Every page hangs until i removed the satellite the speed test started working again

You may want to see the video in this link. The log files are there too.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Oqmh0q7kc66aM9E1YUEoBUOwyjjmI7bg

regards

chris

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 760 of 762
woofdriver
Initiate

I have been fighting an extremely unrilaiable Orbi system for a couple months, most of which it was just turned off in discust.

- Once the Router (RBR50) is configured and working, after a couple hours it just stops responding. no responce to setup, or router

- Once a satellite (RBS50) is up and running, blue, and fast speed- it will just stop.  I have tried both wired and wireless backhaul.  Both unreliable.

- AP mode was useless, never did work correctly, many problems

- Many other little problems.

o Sats that don't show on router config, yet show blue after sync,

o wired backhaul sats varies in speed from fast to slow, though wifi device is 10ft away.  

and other wired devices on same switch show constant speed results

- Firmware upgrades (V2.1.4.16) create more issues than they solve.

This is all in a stable enrionment, that other wifi equipment worked well in for years on end.  And when Orbi frustration hit a head, old equipment brough back online.  It worked without problems-- other than coverage issues that Orbi was brough on to fix.

Afterr reading this forum and others, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Netgear.  I have used Netgear equipment for 20 years.  I currently have a over dozen netgear devices at this location alone.  I am frustrated with the release and support of the Orbi system.  I will never trust Netgear again for anything other than switches.  There is NO reason that issues like this should drag on as LONG as they have for a high-end product from a company like Netgear.  We have all gave Netgear a premium amount of money for a high end system and we were let down. 

Message 761 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Can try my friends setup process that I got going for him:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

Been stable since installing it.

Also there is a new beta available if you'd like to take part:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

I would ask for this and get it loaded...

@woofdriver wrote:

I have been fighting an extremely unrilaiable Orbi system for a couple months, most of which it was just turned off in discust.

- Once the Router (RBR50) is configured and working, after a couple hours it just stops responding. no responce to setup, or router

- Once a satellite (RBS50) is up and running, blue, and fast speed- it will just stop.  I have tried both wired and wireless backhaul.  Both unreliable.

- AP mode was useless, never did work correctly, many problems

- Many other little problems.

o Sats that don't show on router config, yet show blue after sync,

o wired backhaul sats varies in speed from fast to slow, though wifi device is 10ft away.  

and other wired devices on same switch show constant speed results

- Firmware upgrades (V2.1.4.16) create more issues than they solve.

This is all in a stable enrionment, that other wifi equipment worked well in for years on end.  And when Orbi frustration hit a head, old equipment brough back online.  It worked without problems-- other than coverage issues that Orbi was brough on to fix.

Afterr reading this forum and others, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Netgear.  I have used Netgear equipment for 20 years.  I currently have a over dozen netgear devices at this location alone.  I am frustrated with the release and support of the Orbi system.  I will never trust Netgear again for anything other than switches.  There is NO reason that issues like this should drag on as LONG as they have for a high-end product from a company like Netgear.  We have all gave Netgear a premium amount of money for a high end system and we were let down. 

Message 762 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7