Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18

Yes, when in a normal circumstance and using official non beta FW, factory resets shouldn't be needed.  Only needed as a troubleshooting step.  I presume NG intend is to ensure user configurations are kept and persistent thru FW upgrades. However, for these Beta builds and since users have seen so many different experiences, it's best to help narrow down some issues and give the beta FW a good chance of getting set up and installed. A factory reset on the entire system and set up from scratch is highly recommended at this stage and when using Beta FW. Seen many users still complain about a problem after updating FW and they didn't do a reset. After a reset and setup again, problem went away. Also helps weed out bad-configurations as well. So for now, lets factory reset if your using the Beta FW. Lets give the system the best chance to be some solid and working well. 

Up to you thought. Good Luck

@Prelectorwrote:

I upgraded to beta and factory reset the satellites, but didn't factory reset the router.  If I need to factory reset the router to make this work, then it's not a valid image in my opinion and I'll move on to another product; I have too many devices on my network and don't use 10. addressing so a factory reset is VERY time consuming to restore.

I waited more than 15 minutes, all with complete network failure by the way, and still no luck.   As I mentioned in the message, the router didn't even show the satellites as devices any longer, then weren't 'disconnected' they were gone completely.

Message 201 of 762

Fair point.

I'm all for ideas on how to resurrect my dead satellite.  I have restarted it.  I have hard reset it.  I have tried another power supply.  It just won't sync up.  I am not paying Netgear $50 for the honors of helping me here when, in fact, their beta software broke it.  

Message 202 of 762
wchp
Luminary

@ckimmelshuewrote:

Fair point.

I'm all for ideas on how to resurrect my dead satellite.  I have restarted it.  I have hard reset it.  I have tried another power supply.  It just won't sync up.  I am not paying Netgear $50 for the honors of helping me here when, in fact, their beta software broke it.  

If you call support requesting an RMA warranty replacement they should not charge you. https://kb.netgear.com/1113/Warranty-Return-Policy

Message 203 of 762
Streak2
Master

@ckimmelshue wrote:

Fair point.

You could try and connect to the satellite via ethernet cable and reflash the latest firmware for it.

Message 204 of 762
globespy
Apprentice

I just got this Orbi system to try it out. I have previously owned Google Wifi and have a Velop system.

I immediately updated to this new v2.1.3.4 FW as my RBK53 (Costco purchased RBR50 + 2 x RBS50) was compatible.
It's been working just fine since I got it.

I have 1 satellite connected by ethernet and it shows up as "wired" and "good" status in the Backhaul. But I don't see any wording (sync configured) like you mentioned?

Should I see something different?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 205 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe sync deals with getting the Satellite(s) set up and using the sync button. 

If everything is working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@globespywrote:

I just got this Orbi system to try it out. I have previously owned Google Wifi and have a Velop system.

I immediately updated to this new v2.1.3.4 FW as my RBK53 (Costco purchased RBR50 + 2 x RBS50) was compatible.
It's been working just fine since I got it.

I have 1 satellite connected by ethernet and it shows up as "wired" and "good" status in the Backhaul. But I don't see any wording (sync configured) like you mentioned?

Should I see something different?

Message 206 of 762
ktd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Updated my devices, 1 RBR50 and 3 RBS50, a few days ago. Didn’t do a factory reset or anything and the system has been working great since!

My garage door opener with camera is lightning fast compared to before and never fails (so far).

Nice to finally see a light in the Orbi tunnel...

Message 207 of 762
EpicBear
Initiate

What device are you getting 800 mbps from WiFi on?  My tests have only returned just above 500 at best!

Message 208 of 762
guzzijason
Apprentice

@EpicBearwrote:

What device are you getting 800 mbps from WiFi on?  My tests have only returned just above 500 at best!

I think that "800" estimate was coming from the SweetSpots mobile app. I think that app does a good job of helping find strong/weak signal areas, but I don't know how accurate its WiFi speeds are, and they might not reflect "real world" speeds.  Its entire test seems to consist of pumping UDP traffic at the router as fast as it can. It doesn't receive any data back via WiFi.

Message 209 of 762
steve8411
Apprentice

Oh well! So much for the static iP solution.

ipad lost connection.

IMO there is clearly a problem with DHCP vs mostly apple devices. Even with a static IP???

Rokus, no issue. IP cams, no issues. Wired devices, no issues.

Message 210 of 762
guzzijason
Apprentice

[deleted - wrong thread]

Message 211 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

I use a reservation ON the router for my devices. my Iphone is working ok. 

@steve8411wrote:

Oh well! So much for the static iP solution.

ipad lost connection.

IMO there is clearly a problem with DHCP vs mostly apple devices. Even with a static IP???

Rokus, no issue. IP cams, no issues. Wired devices, no issues.

Message 212 of 762
KTB55
Initiate

After months of problems, many calls to support, and an exchanged unit, I’m giving this a shot. Beta FW installed, Satellites and Router factory reset. Beamforming, etc. all enabled. Let’s see how this goes; will update with findings. Thanks everyone for all the feedback on this forum, it helped greatly!

Message 213 of 762
spazzycat
Aspirant

I had the Orbi in AP mode, connected to an ASUS router, then upgraded the FW and did a factory reboot.  I now cannot access the config to reset the Orbi back to AP mode.  I am able to configure the ssid via the mobile app, however there is no internet connection through the wi-fi.  When I move the ethernet cable to a LAN port, there is internet access through the SSIDs but no visibility into the Orbi router.

When the cable is in the WAN port, I'm able to see the assigned IP address on my ASUS router, however when I try to access the orbi router that way it times out.  When the ethernet cable is in a Orbi LAN port, I don't see where the IP is assigned in the ASUS router.

How do I get to the configuration menus and be able to get Orbi back to AP mode after the factory reset?

Message 214 of 762
guzzijason
Apprentice

The Orbi doesn't need to be connected to the internet in order for you to configure it. If your mobile app can do it, then you should be able to do it from a web browser just as well.

Connect to the Orbi WiFi and then go to http://orbilogin.com/ or http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser. What, if anything, the Orbi WAN port is connected to at this point shouldn't matter.

EDIT: sorry, I typo'd the IP in my inital post... it should be 192.168.1.1

Message 215 of 762
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

@spazzycatwrote:

I had the Orbi in AP mode, connected to an ASUS router, then upgraded the FW and did a factory reboot.  I now cannot access the config to reset the Orbi back to AP mode.  I am able to configure the ssid via the mobile app, however there is no internet connection through the wi-fi.  When I move the ethernet cable to a LAN port, there is internet access through the SSIDs but no visibility into the Orbi router.

When the cable is in the WAN port, I'm able to see the assigned IP address on my ASUS router, however when I try to access the orbi router that way it times out.  When the ethernet cable is in a Orbi LAN port, I don't see where the IP is assigned in the ASUS router.

How do I get to the configuration menus and be able to get Orbi back to AP mode after the factory reset?

After you plug orbi in to the asus router. Can you connect to your asus router? then type in the ip to orbi? 10.0.0.1. Or wire in to the satellite that is synced with orbi and type in 10.0.0.1. I am behind an AT&T router that I have wifi disabled on. When I did it. I updated firmware, soft reset and waited for the sync again and it worked. I never really had connect to main router. I was amazed how well it worked though even after reset I was able to connect to main router through satellite since my main desktop doesn't have wifi and I am using wired ports on the orbi satellite. 

Message 216 of 762
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

If he has orbi behind another router it will change to 10.0.0.1. So 192.168.1.1 wont work in that case.

Message 217 of 762
guzzijason
Apprentice

I guess it depends on the address of the upstream router. I do have another router in front of my Orbi, and mine never used 10.0.0.1 - but my upstream router doesn't use 192.168.1.0 either, so there's no conflict there.

Message 218 of 762
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Asus uses 192.168 ip. If netgear sees there is a router infront using that ip it will auto change to 10.0.0.1, almost every netgear I have had has done that behind my AT&T router. Since I have gigapower and I have to have the router they provide and I just enable pass through. 

Message 219 of 762
varase
Guide

Long ago (with my R6000) I advocated that NetGear export parameter settings in an XML file so only selective keywords/parameters could be imported on reload, but NetGear was at best lukewarm to the idea.

I think that an XML export would allow for a more reliable import of old setting because a given firmware level could import what it understood and ignore anything it didn’t.

What’s more, even if the binary blob which represents the settings changed format, a relates of the text dumped parameters would be unaffected.

— Verne
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 220 of 762
wong_wj
Aspirant

Have to factory reset satellite and all is well. RBR50 with RBS50 on Ethernet and RBW30 on 5G.

But I have another issue. My RBR50 is behind another router ASUS AC68U so the internet port is not in use.

Internet shows error not connected which is fine.

But the router failed to connect to NTP server and QoS setup fail to connect to speedtest.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 221 of 762
Chemo29
Guide

Any estimate on the bata release for other models?

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 222 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

use the DMZ on the ASUS router for your Orbi router if your using the Orbi router in router mode. The DMZ will help with being in a double NAT condition.

@wong_wjwrote:

Have to factory reset satellite and all is well. RBR50 with RBS50 on Ethernet and RBW30 on 5G.

But I have another issue. My RBR50 is behind another router ASUS AC68U so the internet port is not in use.

Internet shows error not connected which is fine.

But the router failed to connect to NTP server and QoS setup fail to connect to speedtest.

Message 223 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

Well since then I presume NG hasn't changed there decision about this. I presume they wont as it may be a security concern that they don't want to really mess with. I presume if they haven't done anything since then, they probably won't now.

@varasewrote:
Long ago (with my R6000) I advocated that NetGear export parameter settings in an XML file so only selective keywords/parameters could be imported on reload, but NetGear was at best lukewarm to the idea.

I think that an XML export would allow for a more reliable import of old setting because a given firmware level could import what it understood and ignore anything it didn’t.

What’s more, even if the binary blob which represents the settings changed format, a relates of the text dumped parameters would be unaffected.

— Verne

Message 224 of 762
FURRYe38
Guru

If you want to use the Orbi router in router mode behind the ASUS router, you can use the DMZ feature on the ASUS route for the IP address the orbi router gets from the ASUS router. This helps with this configuration and double NAT condition.

@spazzycatwrote:

Message 225 of 762
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7