Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 issues update 3/9/18

AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Orbi MR 2.1 issues update 3/9/18

Let me give you a quick update on the status since the last time we posted.  Over the last several weeks, we assembled a cross functional team, locked them in a room with food and coffee and dedicated them to addressing some disconnect issues with the OrbiOS 2.1 software, specifically related to Satellite backhaul connectivity, and with clients attached to the Satellite. 

We believe that they have a common software bug and we’re in the late stages of fixing these issues.  We hope to be releasing a new build very soon and will keep you updated as things progress. 

Thank you for your patience.

Orbi Product Managementorbi-lifestyle.png

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 126

Accepted Solutions
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 126 of 126

All Replies
lbdyck
Star

This is promising news and I pray your 'soon' is very soon and I hope it addresses my specific issue which is when my windows 10 desktop or laptop return from sleep mode or reboot they are unable to connect to the wifi network without turning wifi off and back on several times, with clicking on connect/disconnect/connect several times.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 126
wildhorse
Star

On Windows 7 or my android devices I never had a problem with devices having to wait too long to connect. I wake laptop from sleep all the time.

Message 3 of 126
bbunge
Star

Hope springs eternal! I have run the Orbi 2.1 version with no real issues and have worked with the 2.2 Beta for several days. I can give a good report for the 2.2 Beta with one exception. After configure from factory reset, either with the reset button or the Factory Reset in the web GUI, switching to wired backhaul requires both the satellite and router to be powered off, cable plugged in, then router power up followed by satellite power up. When I connected the router to a satellite by cable without power down I was unable to get any LAN or WAN traffic. I have tested wired backhaul with direct cable and through a GB switch successfully. Still are some features that would be nice to have like USB drive, selection of bandwidth on 2.4 GHZ and selection of upper or lower 5 GHZ for backhaul. WIFI backhaul should go off when backhaul is wired.

Message 4 of 126
webminster
Luminary

Appreciate the update.   I wish that, while the team was still captive, a little attention could also be paid to the long-standing unsolved issue that the Orbi cannot display a correct and complete list of connected devices.  This isn't just cosmetic, it's a security (auditing/management) issue.

Message 5 of 126
rh0dium
Aspirant

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much fo the update.  Is it your belief the the 2.1.x firmware bugs reported on this forumn are all centered on this backhaul connectivity?  In other words if you are not using ethernet backhaul (or promise to not touch those settings) could you safely upgrade?  Are there other fixes in 2.2 that I should wait for?

I'm on V2.0.1.4 with RBR50 and and have had NO issues.  While I understand the frustration of some users I am not one of them and am happily using it in a mixed environment (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, TvOS, Camera, Security, Nest, IoT, etc.). 

FYI:  I really want to use the circle features but have been hesitant to roll foward?  

Message 6 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

"If it works, don't fix it."

LoLSmiley Very Happy

@rh0diumwrote:

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much fo the update.  Is it your belief the the 2.1.x firmware bugs reported on this forumn are all centered on this backhaul connectivity?  In other words if you are not using ethernet backhaul (or promise to not touch those settings) could you safely upgrade?  Are there other fixes in 2.2 that I should wait for?

I'm on V2.0.1.4 with RBR50 and and have had NO issues.  While I understand the frustration of some users I am not one of them and am happily using it in a mixed environment (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, TvOS, Camera, Security, Nest, IoT, etc.). 

FYI:  I really want to use the circle features but have been hesitant to roll foward?  

Message 7 of 126
lbdyck
Star

After challenges nearly all day today, including a call to support who wanted me to setup a guest network to see if it had the same problem (it did). I have given up.  I went to Best Buy and picked up a Linksys Velop, brought it home, plugged it in, downloaded the Linksys app, and it installed and is working perfectly. The Orbi is back in its box to be returned to Costco tomorrow morning.

Message 8 of 126
JMU1998
Luminary

No need for wireless backhaul to stay on when wired backhaul is being used to save processing power.

Message 9 of 126
mpf541
Apprentice

So this sounds good but when are we going to see it. As it has been months since my system has worked properly. 

Message 10 of 126
jeffholiday
Guide

Happy to test if you have any betas
Message 11 of 126
mpf541
Apprentice

How do I get the beta so I can get this working? As it is it does not work for me. Plase send me a link to the beta software

Message 12 of 126
bbunge
Star

Your best bet is to contact Tech Support. But, be prepared for a long wait on the phone to get your case eleveted. Otherwise, reflash back to 2.0.1.4 doing the satellite first then the router. Factory reset both, press reset button longer than 7 seconds on satellite and router, then set up manually. Firmware 2.0.1.4 can't use wired backhaul.

Message 13 of 126
doccelo
Star

I have downgraded to 2.0.1.4, factory resetting in proper order per these forums, rebooting everything, resyncing satellites, and I'M STILL GETTING DISCONNECTS.  I was put in touch with Level 2, who asked that I monitor my system with just the router being turned on.  I did this, and then never heard from them again.  I imagined it was because they found the issue and were working on it, and then 2.0.1.4 came out so I thought this was the fix.  NOPE!  Still getting random disconnects.

NETGEAR, what happened to the support I was getting?  Do you truly have an understanding of what is happening?  We, the consumers that keep your business alive (be it little grandma May in her cottage or Gigantic Enterprise, Inc.), deserve a truthful explanation for the months of headaches and lost work due to these issues!!  An expedient resolution is no longer a request, it is being DEMANDED by your customers.  While I appreciate that you post on these forums ocassionally, it is only expected that we no longer trust your words or promises.  Deliver on those promises, and we'll start trusting you again.  Be truthful and transparent, and we'll start trusting you again.  Continue on with the status quo, and you can expect a lot more people jumping ship and not looking back. 

Message 14 of 126
JMU1998
Luminary

Just curious how stable is the latest Beta Firmware for those who have tried it?  can we finally hope for some stability in the next Firmware based on this Beta feedback? 

Message 15 of 126
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Until the new Orbi firmware comes out, if I reflash back to the 2.0.1.4 firmware, will I still be able to use my Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y)?
Message 16 of 126
dbailey132
Tutor

the problem is you issued a product that was not ready for prime time in reponse to your competition and even after multiple complaint you were very slow at responding. as it sits today, this is a very poor product and you should not be selling it.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 17 of 126
bbunge
Star

Yes, make sure you reflash the satellites before the router.

Message 18 of 126
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@JMU1998wrote:

Just curious how stable is the latest Beta Firmware for those who have tried it?  can we finally hope for some stability in the next Firmware based on this Beta feedback? 

I've been running V2.2.0.30-20180221 since March 2 without any signs of instability. No crashes, reboots, or disconnects, and no errors in the log.

I found two issues with this pre-release version and reported them to Netgear.

• The QoS Settings page is missing.
  • IPv6 doesn't work at all unless I switch IPv6 Filtering from Secured to Open.

Who can tell me the effects of Open IPv6 Filtering? Does this completely disable the v6 firewall? Or is it less drastic?

Message 19 of 126
rhester72
Virtuoso

@RocketSquirrelwrote:

I've been running V2.2.0.30-20180221 since March 2 without any signs of instability. No crashes, reboots, or disconnects, and no errors in the log.

Are you getting full throughput on the wifi?

With the last public 2.2 release, I found that with 150mbit FiOS, I couldn't do better than about 60mbit literally sitting next to the router.  2.1.0.4 (and 2.0 prior) delivers full throughput consistently.

Rodney

Message 20 of 126
mpf541
Apprentice

So i spent over 1 1/2 hours on the phone wioth support to get the beat software. And I ended up with 2.1.3.2. They told me that 2.2was not what the new firmware was. And I went bad bad to really bad. Drops as my connection as soon as i finish the asetop process.

I would really like to get some firmware that works. Right now my ISP supplied Arriis gateway at least works as my ORBI does not. 

Woild be nice if after signing the beta os agreement i gort=t some thing that works.

Message 21 of 126
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@rhester72wrote:

@RocketSquirrelwrote:

Are you getting full throughput on the wifi?

With the last public 2.2 release, I found that with 150mbit FiOS, I couldn't do better than about 60mbit literally sitting next to the router.  2.1.0.4 (and 2.0 prior) delivers full throughput consistently.

Rodney

Yes. I pay Comcast for 120 Mbps. I get 140 wired and 140 wireless when connected via 5GHz to either router or satellite. 2.4GHz is slower, only 90 Mbps. 

I was was unaware of a public 2.2 release. I thought the last official release was a 2.1.x.

Message 22 of 126
rhester72
Virtuoso

Sorry, you are right, I was referring to 2.1.2.18.

Message 23 of 126
thombe
Apprentice

thanks for the update.

Message 24 of 126
mpf541
Apprentice

So I called in over the weekend trying to get a beta copy of the new firmware. After 1 1/2 hours on the phone I fianlly get someone that makes me sign a beta tester agreement and tells me the latest version is 2.1.3.2 there is no 2.2. So I tried this. !0 min after i  finished setting up the system with this and resetting to start fresh the internet dropped. Not being very happy I then decieded to reset and try again.

Same result

Went down to bestbuy who happens to have velop system on sale right now. All is working properly. been up almost 24 hours now with no issues.

I would really like to keep using the orbi. How do I get the new beta 2.2 so i can see if that will works while i still can return the other system.

And I am puzzeled why I call in and was not given the latest beta.  that might have worked. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 25 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7