Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi MR 2.1 issues update 3/9/18

mpf541
Apprentice

@wildhorsewrote:

So it looks like Velop is an inferior product after all.

I have had no major issues, except for one minor problem - satellite having lots of active network sessions (3198/65536) even if unused - visible on satellite debug page. I reported that. But it does not affect stability in any way.

Well i have not had an issue since i started testing a velop. I have not dropped my connection at all. I have a wired backhaul. this is not possible now with a orbi.

I would really like orbi to be working properly but if i try and user it i get aboyut 10 minutes before the internet connection drops. So to me right now the orbi is inferior. And the tech support at netgear does not know how to fix it. How mant months has this been going on now. They should have left it all back on the first firmware. It at least worked then.

Strange how they can get the orbi pro working but not this one. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 76 of 126
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@JMU1998wrote:

Are all versions of the new Beta useless or is a relatively stable one available? 

I've been having pretty good results with 2.2.0.30-20180221. It's not perfect, but it's stable. I can't speak for any other beta versions.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 77 of 126
mpf541
Apprentice

Not sure what you have to do to get 2.2 I have been trying to get it for a while now and not having any luck. But all the other cersions I have tried don't work properly.

Message 78 of 126
Brain29
Apprentice

@mpf541wrote:

Not sure what you have to do to get 2.2 I have been trying to get it for a while now and not having any luck. But all the other cersions I have tried don't work properly.

I have been talking to support for a few days now with no mention of 2.2 or its existance - nor anything helpful beyond where sorry 
*this months long issue could make sense if it was tech compnay that created routers as a side income 

Message 79 of 126
paredepf
Initiate

I'm using version 2.1.2.18.  It has a ~40% availability. I find it very disturbing that Netgear could not fix a problem like this in months. How long must we wait? Can you recall this product and give us a working alternative?

Message 80 of 126
ktoonsez
Star

How do I get the beta, interested in testing.   I have tried there beta 2.1 page but the Orbi RBR50 isn't even in the list.   If someone would be so kind to post a link?

Message 81 of 126
JMU1998
Luminary

Is a newer Beta in the Works? Newer than 2.2 since that is not being given out? If so I would like to try it.

Message 82 of 126

@Starbuckywrote:

Good day DerAusgewandert,

I totally agree. I did some thorough testing with one satellite to compare to the Orbi and then added the second Velop satellite last night in our upstairs hallway. Adding the second satellite took over an hour, it just wouldn't complete sinking and kept telling me to bring it closer to the router... I ended up having to basically put it right next to the router..................... All said, in my case the RBK50 2pk is much better than Velop 3pk. I'm packing up the Velop tonight and re-installing the Orbi, keeping my fingers crossed that I continue to have minimal issues.

Cheers,

I gave the Velop another chance all day today and let it "work itself in". It didn't change/improve. Maybe I got a bad unit, but looking at posts like yours and the posts on the Linksys forum, this seems to be a more common problem. I am packing it up as I type and it's going back tomorrow. I have the Orbi back on and in my environment the Velop is simply not working well.

Message 83 of 126
pchammer
Aspirant

Will this update also address the DoS Arp issues, where it drops the uplink, then shapes the uplink to under 1mbps?

Message 84 of 126
ktoonsez
Star

I also tried the Velop before the orbi. I had nothing but problems with it. Constant disconnects, Alexa had problems connecting to the Internet all the time and my smart switches would always end up being unresponsive trying to use Alexa commands. Pnce I switch to orbi all those problems went away.
Message 85 of 126

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 issues update 3/9/18

@AmitRwrote:

we assembled a cross functional team, locked them in a room with food and coffee

orbi-lifestyle.png

Has someone checked, if they are still alive or if they need some more food or stronger coffee maybe ? Man Tongue

Any timelines ?

Message 86 of 126

Betreff: Orbi MR 2.1 issues update 3/9/18

@computerpfutziwrote:
@AmitRwrote:

we assembled a cross functional team, locked them in a room with food and coffee

orbi-lifestyle.png

Has someone checked, if they are still alive or if they need some more food or stronger coffee maybe ? Man Tongue

Any timelines ?

that's funny.

Message 87 of 126
Starbucky
Apprentice

Good day,

I could have given it a couple more days but I am pretty sure no amount of tweaking would make it as good as the Orbi. The 3pk Velop didn't provide the performance compared to the 2pk Orbi. That's in my case/setup anyway. I'm sure others have different experiences. Anyway I packed up the Velop and Circle and will return them on the way home from work. As I sit at work my remote access to all my gizmos at home is rock solid again...

I'm not dismissing the big issues other longer term users are having though, I'm still worried and I hope NG resolves them before I start experiencing issues too. I'd really like to start using wired backhaul too. That said I, I've been waiting for more than a year to get a mesh consumer setup and from what I see with all the different manufacturers is that no one has a mature product without issues. They all suck to a certain extent. It should only get better....Maybe I should have waited another year. lol.       

Message 88 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you test the wired back haul while using the current version of FW? I though this version supported wired back haul.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-do-i-setup-wired-backhaul-on-the-satellite-RBK40/m-p/15303...

@Starbuckywrote:

Good day,

I could have given it a couple more days but I am pretty sure no amount of tweaking would make it as good as the Orbi. The 3pk Velop didn't provide the performance compared to the 2pk Orbi. That's in my case/setup anyway. I'm sure others have different experiences. Anyway I packed up the Velop and Circle and will return them on the way home from work. As I sit at work my remote access to all my gizmos at home is rock solid again...

I'm not dismissing the big issues other longer term users are having though, I'm still worried and I hope NG resolves them before I start experiencing issues too. I'd really like to start using wired backhaul too. That said I, I've been waiting for more than a year to get a mesh consumer setup and from what I see with all the different manufacturers is that no one has a mature product without issues. They all suck to a certain extent. It should only get better....Maybe I should have waited another year. lol.       

Message 89 of 126
Starbucky
Apprentice

No FURRYe38 I haven't because I thought that wired backhaul was one of the issues why they pulled v.2.1.2.18. I loaded this firmware also because I wanted better parental control for my tecno addict children. I've had the Orbi for just over three weks now on wireless backhaul but I think.I might want to move the satellite a little further away and use wired backhaul. At the moment though I'm just happy that thesystem is stable so although I'm itching to play around with config I think I'll wait until the next release before I start tweaking/experimenting. Speaking of firmware I was asked if I wanted to join the beta testers and I accepted and then all comms went dark and I haven't heard back.               

Message 90 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Well something you can try. You can always disconnect the LAN cable if it doesn't work. 

You might make contact again and see if beta can be made available to you. 

@Starbuckywrote:

No FURRYe38 I haven't because I thought that wired backhaul was one of the issues why they pulled v.2.1.2.18. I loaded this firmware also because I wanted better parental control for my tecno addict children. I've had the Orbi for just over three weks now on wireless backhaul but I think.I might want to move the satellite a little further away and use wired backhaul. At the moment though I'm just happy that thesystem is stable so although I'm itching to play around with config I think I'll wait until the next release before I start tweaking/experimenting. Speaking of firmware I was asked if I wanted to join the beta testers and I accepted and then all comms went dark and I haven't heard back.               

Message 91 of 126
Starbucky
Apprentice

Ya actually I will try it, I want to test moving my satellite a little further anyway and wireless backhaul would probably suffer. I guess if I try wired backhaul and it messes things up which aren't reversed when I revert back to wireless backhaul I can reset Orbi and re-load saved config.

Message 92 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

There ya go. 

What is the current distance between the router and Satellite. Mines about 40 feet. Not sure how much farther I can go in range. Mines currently on wired back haul.

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 93 of 126

Mine is more than 40feet. 45feet is the projection and then it's an additional 10 feet in the vertical because the satellite sits in the hallway of the second floor. There is a wall and a stairwell and ceiling in between. I had concerns when setting this up initially, but so far I have had no problems at all. Excellent signal throughout the house. I'm not using wired backhaul.

Message 94 of 126
Starbucky
Apprentice

So are you saying that at 40 feet you could still use the wireless backhaul and get acceptable performance?

My satellite is under 30 feet away but the signal goes through three sets of walls (framed/drywall).

So you are using 2.1.2.18 with wired backhaul?     

Message 95 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Getting stellar performance wired or wireless. 

So i have my main router up on a 2nd story at one end of my 5000sq ft house, and the 1 Satellite in a office room at the opposite end of the house. I'd say theres 3 walls between them, same wood/drywall materials. I have two non managed switches between the Satellite and router that connects them over the back haul. 

Yes I would move the Satellie farther away. Having it too close could be a cause of problems as well.

Using a Beta version. Smiley Wink

Message 96 of 126
Starbucky
Apprentice

Mine's about 3500sf w/out the basement and I have both the router and satellite on the main floor. My family room and sunroom are offset from the core so I thought my current placement was best to cover the whole house (second storey and basement). Obviously the main floor gets excellent performance and the second floor and basement get good coverage. If I can get a beta 2.1.x or the 2.2 unicorn I will test wired backhaul. 

Message 97 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support and see whats up.

Let us know the results of current FW version. See if it works for you. Again you can always revert back to Wireless BH. 

@Starbuckywrote:

Mine's about 3500sf w/out the basement and I have both the router and satellite on the main floor. My family room and sunroom are offset from the core so I thought my current placement was best to cover the whole house (second storey and basement). Obviously the main floor gets excellent performance and the second floor and basement get good coverage. If I can get a beta 2.1.x or the 2.2 unicorn I will test wired backhaul. 

Message 98 of 126

@Starbuckywrote:

So are you saying that at 40 feet you could still use the wireless backhaul and get acceptable performance?

My satellite is under 30 feet away but the signal goes through three sets of walls (framed/drywall).

So you are using 2.1.2.18 with wired backhaul?     

yep, v2.1.2.18. NO wired backhaul. No problems with performance so far. It's cool to see when I walk up the stairs and my phone switches over to the Satellite without a problem, while the signal stays on excellent. None of the clients on my 2nd floor have issues with connectivity. The main Orbi router has no problems covering the entire downstairs level, even though it's located at one long end of the house. My house is a little less than 4000sqf.

One nice side effect of the good connection is that response of my Philips Hue lights to Alexa commands is almost instant, while it often took seconds.

Message 99 of 126
JMU1998
Luminary

Anyone experiencing with wired backhaul in AP mode? 

Message 100 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7