Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mesh Router

MKC1298
Aspirant

Orbi Mesh Router

I am looking to exchnage out my Optimum Router with an Orbi Mesh Router... Just not sure if it will work. Looking for any advice. Thank you

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Mesh Router

More information is required, such as the specific model of Optimum device.

Orbi WiFi routers do not include cable or fiber connections.  They require a cable modem or a fiber ONT.

So, if the Optimum is a combination unit which includes the ISP media connection, you either have to purchase a replacement or keep the device and perhaps put it into "modem only" mode. (often called "bridge" or "passthrough" mode).

Message 2 of 9
MKC1298
Aspirant

Thank you for responding,  I have an opitmum Saagemcom router and an Arris TM1602 modem.  I am looking ofr better bandwidth in my home.  Opitmum has been terrible and I was recommndd to going with an Oribi Mesh Router.  I just wan to make sure I order the right item to give me what I need, 

Message 3 of 9
MKC1298
Aspirant

Thank you but can not follow... But I appreciate your responding

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The links provided are informational on what Orbi system may work for your needs. There to help you out to deside what you may want. 

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the information.  Any WiFi router will connect to the Arris modem.  There are (literally) dozens of WiFi routers on the market, including:

• Mesh systems which promise to provide a wider coverage area than a single WiFi radio can.
  • WiFi 6 systems which support more and faster connections to new WiFi 6 products that are beginning to appear.
  • "Gaming" routers where the emphasis is on low latency for internet gaming.
  • (and almost every combination possible)

@FURRYe38has provided some links to good references about how to choose a WiFi system.

I would encourage you to compile some relevant information, such as:

• The size, shape, and construction of the building. Is it "long and narrow" or "relatively square"?
    How many floors?  Are the walls modern "studs and drywall" or concrete?
  • Do you want coverage to outside areas?
  • Where is the internet modem located in the building?
    A central location allows one router to cover more "inside", whereas a modem located in a far corner (like mine) means that a large portion of the WiFi radio is broadcast "outside" and probably in a direction that is not useful.
  • Where in the building are the principal WiFi devices?
  • Do you have (or is it easy to install) ethernet cables from the modem location to other parts of the house?
    Or, from the modem to a central place where cables can be run to the rest of the house.
  • Is the principal complaint today (a) lack of WiFi coverage in certain places, or (b) there is coverage but performance is too slow.

I purchased an Orbi system in 2016 to replace my Nighthawk R7000.  I have been really happy with it.  Part of this appears to be pure luck, because I have experienced none of the issues which I see reported on this forum.  I plan to keep using the Orbi until there is a damn good reason to replace it with the "latest and greatest".  But to be brutally honest, if I were purchasing a new WiFi mesh system today, I would have to get a really good deal on a 2016 model Orbi system to make it worth investing in.

Message 7 of 9
MKC1298
Aspirant

Thank you so very much!!!!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you have any more questions or need information. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7