Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Mesh Triband won't connect to my HP Officejet 8740

ZanL
Tutor

Orbi Mesh Triband won't connect to my HP Officejet 8740

Can anyone help me to get my HP printer to connect to my Orbi?  I just spent 2 hours on Netgear tech support.... They could not fix my problem.  I changed the 2.4 ghz channel to 11.  Nothing...   I was told to go to the advanced tab for the router and on the WAN setup, open the NAT filtering... I did and nothing.  I am good with computers, but not experience with network problems.  

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
JustMe27
Guide

I just armwrestled with my HP Envy printer. One of the steps in curing the problem was to delete the network information from the printer, shut it down and unplug it for 30 seconds or so. (If you pray, it can't hurt to do this during the wait. No, I don't have a good prayer for a printer. 🥸) Plug it back in and start all over.

Amid the sophistification of this forum, please forgive these simple recommendations.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
vajim
Master

@ZanL wrote:

Can anyone help me to get my HP printer to connect to my Orbi?  I just spent 2 hours on Netgear tech support.... They could not fix my problem.  I changed the 2.4 ghz channel to 11.  Nothing...   I was told to go to the advanced tab for the router and on the WAN setup, open the NAT filtering... I did and nothing.  I am good with computers, but not experience with network problems.  

The printer connects to the orbi not the other way around 

how far is the printer from the orbi router?

does the printer have a network setup built in?

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@ZanL wrote:

Can anyone help me to get my HP printer to connect to my Orbi?

What happens when you do the Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) on this guide?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05072649 

Are you in North America?

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact the printers Mfr for additional help and infromation regarding there product. 

@ZanL wrote:

Message 4 of 13
vajim
Master

The printer connects to the orbi not the other way around 

how far is the printer from the orbi router?

does the printer have a network setup built in?

Message 5 of 13
ZanL
Tutor

They are right next to each other.  the printer does have network setup.  It was working fine with my old router setup.  

Message 6 of 13
vajim
Master

@ZanL wrote:

They are right next to each other.  the printer does have network setup.  It was working fine with my old router setup.  

so how did you set it up with the old router?

wifi is wifi....except in the case of a Mesh network.  Maybe your printer can't handle having both freqs in one SSID

Message 7 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@ZanL wrote:

Some older devices will not simply reconnect even though you setup the same wireles SSID.  Make sure you reset your HP's networking setup and setup wireless again.  And install the device's latest firmware before doing so: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8740-all-in-one-printer-series/790...

Which Orbi do you have?  If Orbi AX then go to oriblogin.com / Advanced tab / Advanced...Wireless Settings, change CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for best wireless compatibility with old devices.

Message 8 of 13
vajim
Master

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@ZanL wrote:

Some older devices will not simply reconnect even though you setup the same wireles SSID.  Make sure you reset your HP's networking setup and setup wireless again.  And install the device's latest firmware before doing so: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8740-all-in-one-printer-series/790...

Which Orbi do you have?  If Orbi AX then go to oriblogin.com / Advanced tab / Advanced...Wireless Settings, change CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for best wireless compatibility with old devices.

he's already stated..."the printer does have network setup..."

which I find hard to believe...i have the 8600 hp and there is a wifi network setup on main screen/window

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04608548

Message 9 of 13
JustMe27
Guide

I just armwrestled with my HP Envy printer. One of the steps in curing the problem was to delete the network information from the printer, shut it down and unplug it for 30 seconds or so. (If you pray, it can't hurt to do this during the wait. No, I don't have a good prayer for a printer. 🥸) Plug it back in and start all over.

Amid the sophistification of this forum, please forgive these simple recommendations.

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JustMe27 wrote:

I just armwrestled with my HP Envy printer. One of the steps in curing the problem was to delete the network information from the printer, shut it down and unplug it for 30 seconds or so.

This is very good advice. I prefer singing Happy Birthday and saying, "There's a good WiFi device. Be nice now."

Being superstitious, I always assign an IP address to printers so that they are always in the "same place".

Message 11 of 13
ZanL
Tutor

After working on this for over 2 hours the day before.. I deleted the printer from my computer.  Removed the network from the printer.  Unplugged the printer...  Reinstalled the printer, took a deep breath, and had a cocktail.  Plugged the printer back in,   and then reconnected the network.  Its on!!!

Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

@ZanL wrote:

After working on this for over 2 hours the day before.. I deleted the printer from my computer.  Removed the network from the printer.  Unplugged the printer...  Reinstalled the printer, took a deep breath, and had a cocktail.  Plugged the printer back in,   and then reconnected the network.  Its on!!!

nice work....please mark this thread as solved.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7