Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Mesh Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi 6 For The Gigabit Internet Home - #NETGEARCES2019

Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Orbi Mesh Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi 6 For The Gigabit Internet Home - #NETGEARCES2019

Setup properly.... means -- things like not set up as a router when it should be set up as an access point or vice versa.  Other user settings configured with an understanding of what they are and the effects they have on the wired and wireless networks.

Other issues ....  If issues were not discovered or if new capabilities werent fielded, Firmware updates wouldnt be necessary.  I appreciate the fact that they are working on updates instead of EOL'ing the product like other MFGs have. Frankly, it's complicated and I know of no product that has been fielded with zero issues on day one.  Fortunately there are people out here willing to take their time to help support others to get their stuff working optimally.  

Message 26 of 79
Ragar99
Luminary

You are getting silly with comments like "fielded with zero issues on day one".  Noone has suggested they expect that from Orbi.  It would be nice if the product just worked like other router companies.

Companies issue firmware updates for three reasons.  Defects, new hacks, and enhancements.    The Orbi updates have been for defects and a few enhancements to support new Netgear products.

Lets see how many more firmware updates Netgear  issues now that they have announced a replacement for this Orbi product.  Yeah, news flash this version will be EOLed for the WiFi 6.

Message 27 of 79
Chuck_M
Mentor

It is becoming clear, you are not a fan of Netgear!

Message 28 of 79
Ragar99
Luminary

I am a fan of Netgear not Orbi.  I have liked and used other Netgear products (Arlo Pro/Nighthawk routers) without issue.  Figured them out, installed, walked away, and they just worked. The Arlo Pro was very impressive at the time.  720p wireless video off a battery that lasted for me 6-8 weeks.

My issue with the Orbi was twofold.  For the money, a very basic, feature lacking router.  Then of course the firmware updates.  There was a 4-5 month period last year where this forum was flooded with people complaining due to really bad firmware.  It took Netgear multiple tries and appears they finally got it stable with the last update.  What really messed people up was Netgear's firmware auto update, people didn't want to upgrade but couldn't stop the updates which continually hosed their wifi.  Kind of funny now looking back at the irony, but people were pissed.  Netgear’s inability to remedy during that time was really unconscionable. 

Comparatively, I didn't have a lot of issues, but it seemed that something would happen every few weeks.  One satellite would go renegade and decide it needed to disconnect from the router entirely.  Or suddenly IOS or Android devices would have super slow speeds or lose the ability to connect.

After owning for about six months a satellite died.  I can’t remember the ring color, but research suggested it was bricked but I tried a manual firmware flash.  It didn’t work and Netgear wanted money just to talk to me.  I didn’t want any help, just an RMA.  LOL what a joke.  So I took the Orbis back to Costco, got a refund, and bought new Orbis. 

That was when I decided to stop the madness, bought an Ubiquiti Edgerouter and put the Orbis into AP mode.  Makes a lot sense, the Orbis are good at wifi, suck at routing.  I’ve only had one issue since going to AP mode.  One of the satellites likes to occasionally change its 2.4 channel, but I don’t need 2.4 coverage in that part of the house.  I don’t have many 2.4 devices left.

So hopefully you know understand why I am not an Orbi fan, have a lot of empathy for the many people they screwed over last year, and hope they don’t ever issue another firmware upgrade!

Message 29 of 79
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Anything is possible. Just prior experiences, when new tech comes out, Mfr move forward with little regard to what was already been. I was an early adapter for AC when D-Link came out with it on there router. It worked and was backwards compatible. 

Something else to consider.

Orbi Voice!

If you can't use existing satelites with the new kit then customers won't want to upgrade ...

You would think backward compatibility would be high on the priority list given the Orbi Voice is so expensive itself and appears to be an important part of the overall Orbi product range.

Message 30 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course, backwards compatility. However, if the original HW or chipset didn't have support for that, then that would be a problem. Or NG may not want to include that feature. They may want to have it's own line for that feature as well as maybe not everyone wants Orbi Voice. It's an option for sure. Any thing is possible. Will be interesting to see what shows up this year and next. 

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Anything is possible. Just prior experiences, when new tech comes out, Mfr move forward with little regard to what was already been. I was an early adapter for AC when D-Link came out with it on there router. It worked and was backwards compatible. 

Something else to consider.

Orbi Voice!

If you can't use existing satelites with the new kit then customers won't want to upgrade ...

You would think backward compatibility would be high on the priority list given the Orbi Voice is so expensive itself and appears to be an important part of the overall Orbi product range.

Message 31 of 79
Dustin278
Apprentice

How can we become a BETA tester for this!? @Dustin_V 

ps - you have a cool name

Message 32 of 79
Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dustin278 wrote:

How can we become a BETA tester for this!? @Dustin_V 

ps - you have a cool name

Hey @Dustin278! To be considered for Beta testing please visit https://www.beta.netgear.com/welcome/.

Also, those who become Community Superusers typically have priority as Beta testers. If you're interested in becoming a Superuser, please visit https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Welcome/NETGEAR-Community-Superusers-Program/m-p/1156353#...

BTW, you have a cool name yourself 😜

Message 33 of 79
greggy102
Aspirant

I am an Asus convert after almost 2 decades being with them (mostly because of RMerlin's great FW)
But it was a time to leave them after huge disappointment with RT-AX88U.
Currently on RAX12 and impressed big time. Hoping to be able to get those new Orbi AX added to my system.
Does anyone know how to get a pair of them? Beta testing site didn't offer them to me as of today, it is probably way past their beta timeline.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 34 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

When and if they come to beta, it would be thru that beta site and then,  you might only get them if approved for beta testing. Nothings been mentioned about it as of yet that i know of. 

@greggy102 wrote:

I am an Asus convert after almost 2 decades being with them (mostly because of RMerlin's great FW)
But it was a time to leave them after huge disappointment with RT-AX88U.
Currently on RAX12 and impressed big time. Hoping to be able to get those new Orbi AX added to my system.
Does anyone know how to get a pair of them? Beta testing site didn't offer them to me as of today, it is probably way past their beta timeline.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 35 of 79
Jegraad
Aspirant

Their not there

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 36 of 79
Ragar99
Luminary

Which there?

Message 37 of 79
nedjel
Guide

Just purchased the whole home AC3000, RBR50 + 2x RBS50 satellites. I live in a 5000sqf home, 2 lvls.
I previously tried the TP-Link Archer AC5400 x 3.- Not that great. Rate it 5/10.
Then tried the Linksys Velop - 1Router + 3 Satellites - not great. Lots of connection issues. One of my TVs wouldn’t even start -weak wifi. I would rate it 7/10. Returned it.
Samsung AC2200 wholesome wi-fi -not good at all forced most of my devices on the 2.4GhZ. Returned it. Rate 3/10
Was excited to try Uniquity Amplifi, router plus 2 plug in antennas. It claimed 20,000 coverage. It was by far the slickest system, super easy set up 5 min. It didn’t perform that well. I would rate it 5/10. Returned it.
Now I have the Orbi, which claims 7500sqf coverage. Many others make claims like this but not true, maybe open space no walls.
With the Orbi everything works fine, strong signal but in some places not strong enough. My TV that wouldn’t start works wine now, however I tested 80mbps with Orbi but Netflix says not enough bandwidth. Don’t understand that. So far Orbi has the best speed and coverage compared to my previous systems. Rate it 8/10 Granted I haven’t tweaked the Advance Setting to enable Beam forming and MIMO etc I was thinking of adding 1xsattelite but might wait for the new Orbi instead. Been reading the forums and still not sure if I can Ethernet wore my satyelites back to the router ?! I’ve got the sattelites on wireless now. How many more sattelites can I add?!
Orbi is not perfect but better than the rest.
Will try whatever comes out next because I need a very good coverage for my house.
Message 38 of 79
Chuck_M
Mentor

You can add more satellites -- I dont know what the upper limit is, but the capacity is for sure more than you will require.

Is there any opportunity for you to hard wire any satellites you have?  I have a mixture of hard wired and wireless backhaul and it works great and maximizes bandwidth.

Would be good to know a couple of things to optimize your setup and perhaps gain back that bandwidth netflix says it needs.

1.  What version of firmware are you running?

2.  Are you in a hub-and-spoke configuration with your router at the hub (direct comms to each satellite) or are you in a daisy chain setup (a satellite is playing the middle man between router and farthest satellite)?

3.  In the Orbi GUI under ADVANCED | ADVANCED SETUP | WIRELESS SETTINGS, what are the settings you currently have for 

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming
Message 39 of 79
nedjel
Guide

Im running .12 firmware, its set to auto update. 

I have 2 ethernet cable running to different rooms and can connect it to each stattelite. Is it better for a sattelite to be higher up or lower to the floor ?

My config is a HUB. Each satellite connects to the Router. 

My Advanced Settings are

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology - Checked 

The the rest are Unchecked 

Backhaul Topology

Backhaul Password
Orbi can generate a new hidden password to improve security for its backhaul connection.
WARNING: Generating a new password might cause the Orbi satellite to lose connection from the Orbi router. To reconnect, use the Sync button.     

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

Message 40 of 79
nedjel
Guide

Sorry this is the Firmware V2.2.1.210

Message 41 of 79
Chuck_M
Mentor

@nedjel wrote:

Im running .12 firmware, its set to auto update. 

I have 2 ethernet cable running to different rooms and can connect it to each stattelite. Is it better for a sattelite to be higher up or lower to the floor ?

My config is a HUB. Each satellite connects to the Router. 

My Advanced Settings are

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology - Checked 

The the rest are Unchecked 

Backhaul Topology

Backhaul Password
Orbi can generate a new hidden password to improve security for its backhaul connection.
WARNING: Generating a new password might cause the Orbi satellite to lose connection from the Orbi router. To reconnect, use the Sync button.     

Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

UNcheck Daisy chain

Recommend CHECKING beamforming, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming.

Doesnt really matter height in the room; whatever looks best 🙂

Please change these, reboot router and give a report of how it works.

Message 42 of 79
nedjel
Guide

I read on here that this FW ver V2.2.1.210 if you Uncheck DaisyChain it actaully Checks the Daisy-Chain ON, some kind of a bug. So confusing. Unchecking<Checks it. Checking it, Uncheks it.  Has this been confirmed by Netgear as true ?

Message 43 of 79
nedjel
Guide

1st Report
15 min after I checked th below 3 options, my wifi went down. No internet. So I had to power cycle the Router and everything came back up. So will see how long it lasts. I have never lost compelete internet connectivity before. Daisy Chaim remained Checked.
Message 44 of 79
raven_au
Virtuoso

@nedjel wrote:
1st Report
15 min after I checked th below 3 options, my wifi went down. No internet. So I had to power cycle the Router and everything came back up. So will see how long it lasts. I have never lost compelete internet connectivity before. Daisy Chaim remained Checked.

It sounds like you are seeing similar to what I see.

From what I have read the Implicit beam forming is not really useful unless you have older devices so it's  don't care for me.

If I have either MU-MIMO or Fast roaming selected my Orbi crashes regularly, resulting in symptoms similar to what your seeing, so I can't have them enabled and probably neither can you.

I believe this is related to incompatility of the Qualcomm wireless drivers with one or more of my devices.

For MU-MIMO I don't think there are many client devices that are capable of using it (still) so probably not a great loss yet.

The fast roaming might be useful, I'm not sure about that, but it just doesn't work for my clients.

Nevertheless my Orbi works fine without these settings enabled, at least for my usage.

Ian

Message 45 of 79
nedjel
Guide

2nd Test Run
Unchecked Implicit Beamforming, some of my LG TV were unstable. Only have MUMIMO and Gast Toaming Checkrd now. We’ll see what happens.
I did not uncheck Daisychain as some one mentioned here that unchecking it actually selects it. Can anyone confirm ?
Message 46 of 79
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Interesting thread.  If I hadn't been interested in reading about a new product announcement, wouldn't have learned so much about configuring my RBK50!

Message 47 of 79
Chuck_M
Mentor

@nedjel wrote:
appens.
I did not uncheck Daisychain as some one mentioned here that unchecking it actually selects it. Can anyone confirm ?

That was determined not to be the case and purely a rumor.  if it is checked, it is ON.

Message 48 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Reverse-quot-Daisy-Chain-issue-any-update/m-p/1653439
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1667058/...

@nedjel wrote:
2nd Test Run
Unchecked Implicit Beamforming, some of my LG TV were unstable. Only have MUMIMO and Gast Toaming Checkrd now. We’ll see what happens.

Message 49 of 79
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Dustin_V  I read the product announcement and almost missed the final sentence at the bottom.  And I quote,

"Orbi with Wi-Fi 6 is expected to be available on the Orbi RBK50 series in the second half of 2019".

At face value I read this to mean the fucntionality provided by 802.11.AX will be enabled via a firmware update.  Please confirm.

Message 50 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7