Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Mesh system (1+2) from Costco with latest firmware 2.3.5.30

singhravik
Guide

Orbi Mesh system (1+2) from Costco with latest firmware 2.3.5.30

Just bought my first Wifi Mesh system which is Orbi Mesh system (1+2).

A great deal from Costco, but as soon as I upgraded to latest firmware 2.3.5.30, it became garbage.

It disconnects often and have high latencies. Once connected, it stay on for few minutes then dies. Hard LAN connection seems stable.

Anyone else facing so?

I tried reset, hard reset, reconfigure, move the satelitte locations but nothing seems to help. For now, I have put in my retired 10 year old cisco router for time being and works much better.

What to do:

Dumo it back in Costco?

OR wait for newer firmware?

OR any pat firmware is better?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Costco has fabulous return policies.  Take it back.

Wait for updated firmware?  Not smart.  (a) No idea when the next firmware release will be, and (b) no idea if it will address whatever your situation is.  If it is a choice between return the product or wait for new firmware.  Take it back.

Yes, it is possible to "go back" to a previous firmware level.  (If that solves the problem.)

On the other hand, did the Orbi provide a superior WiFi network when it worked?  If the Orbi network was no better than the Cisco, then by all means take it back.  If the Orbi provided a superior WiFi network, then perhaps an expenditure of time and effort would result in a better outcome.  For many people, 2.3.5.30 has been stable and performed well.  Perhaps some research will uncover a way to restore the Orbi to the network that you want.

We always start by asking, "What exactly is the Orbi connected to? (brand and specific model)" and "Is the Orbi in router or access point (AP) mode?"

Message 2 of 30
singhravik
Guide

I love the idea of "Mesh" hence paid for this high end expensive hardware. 

I just reverted back the firmware to the 2.3.1.60 to try it out before it goes back to Costco.

Yea, the WiFi coverage was better everywhere. I have a 2 floor 2500 sqft house and the coverage was till my backyard. The only show-stopper is the instability and QoS. 

Orbi is in Router mode and connected to a Cable Modem (Motorola/Arris SB6121) and talks to Comcast/Xfinity provider. I have a 100 UP/10 Down Mbps plan and when connectivity is good, the never fails short and I get same speed as of wired LAN.

Message 3 of 30
quagmire1
Luminary

@singhravik wrote:

I love the idea of "Mesh" hence paid for this high end expensive hardware. 

I just reverted back the firmware to the 2.3.1.60 to try it out before it goes back to Costco.

Your RBK 53 could well be just a bad sample - it happens.  Why not return it to Costco for a defective exchange?  If the second RBK53 still fails to meet your expectations, you can return it to Costco for a full refund.  Since routers are not on Costco's 90 day return list, you can return it whenever you want.

Costco really does have excellent return policies. Heck, my wife once made me return a jar of mixed nuts because she said it had too many almonds.  They took it back, no questions asked! 😉

Message 4 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you perform a factory reset as set up from scratch after applying the last FW update? This is recommended. 

Message 5 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you perform a factory reset as set up from scratch after applying the last FW update? This is recommended. 

Isn't a new install the same as a factory reset?

The OP has a new system.  Once setup,....it downloaded the FW (which is a bad one).  To do a factory reset, that will only bring him/her back to where they were.

Needs to revert to an earlier FW.

Message 6 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

A new system may have not come preloaded with v30. if so, then the update would have taken place after they got it up and running. Thus a reset maybe needed. 

I've had no issues with v30. 

Message 7 of 30
singhravik
Guide

Yes, did reset twice and reloaded the firmware. It was of no help. Same choppiness.

I downgraded to last fw version 2.3.1.60 and evaluating the performance this week.

Message 8 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@singhravik wrote:

Yes, did reset twice and reloaded the firmware. It was of no help. Same choppiness.

I downgraded to last fw version 2.3.1.60 and evaluating the performance this week.

Message 9 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A new system may have not come preloaded with v30. if so, then the update would have taken place after they got it up and running. Thus a reset maybe needed. 

I've had no issues with v30. 

That makes no sense.  What update are you talking about (V30 to V30???)...2.3.5.30

Just because you don't have issues with V30 doesn't meant others aren't  Not sure you would even admit on here if you did.

Message 10 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@singhravik wrote:

Smart move....good luck!

Message 11 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes that version.

I'm not the only with with working Orbi systems with v30 loaded. 

What version of FW are you using? 

Message 12 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes that version.

I'm not the only with with working Orbi systems with v30 loaded. 

well the OP has moved on to a more stable FW.

I never said you were the ONLY one with a working .30

Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

That good then for them. Thought they didn't really vet out v30 with a reset. All is good if it's working for them. All that matters. 

We have some that v30 works for and some that it doesn't. 

Message 14 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That good then for them. Thought they didn't really vet out v30 with a reset. All is good if it's working for them. All that matters. 

We have some that v30 works for and some that it doesn't. 

Ask the moderators to post a poll here seeking the success rate of 2.3.5.30

Most folks aren't interested in being FW beta testers or vetters.

Message 15 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

vetting = troubleshooting. 

You can ask them anything.

Good luck. 

Message 16 of 30
ekhalil
Master

Do you have wireless or wired backhaul?
Message 17 of 30
singhravik
Guide

Message 18 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

@singhravik wrote:

Message 19 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know how it turns out. 

@singhravik wrote:

Good trouble shooting practice allows to make one change (FW revision) and determine the results.  Then IF necessary look else where.  

Message 20 of 30
singhravik
Guide

Both the satellites are under 30ft of distance from router. Teh building material is dry-wall over wood frame (no concrete or metal).

Channels are all Auto. Should they adjust the channel per lowest noise. This was advertised as such.

Getting a poll on succes of 2.3.5.30 would be good idea. Can we do that?

Message 21 of 30
singhravik
Guide

Isn't this FREE QA (quality testing) by consumers post release! too bad !

I'll avoid Netgear next time.

I hated the NightHawk for same reason.. poor quality and too much on consumers to try out.

Message 22 of 30
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@singhravik wrote:

Isn't this FREE QA (quality testing) by consumers post release! too bad !

I'll avoid Netgear next time.

I hated the NightHawk for same reason.. poor quality and too much on consumers to try out.

I believe what you'll find is that NO FW is perfect and ALL manufacturers such as NG are faced with the same problem.  You're best bet is if you can find a FW that works for you and keeps your system stable, stay there, don't upgrade.  When a new FW does becomes available, read the release notes first to understand what changes are offered.  Good luck

Message 23 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the RBS is under 30 feet then is probably too close. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Wifi signal over lap is important. On any FW version. 

I have my one out at 40 feet. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? If you have some near by, I would manually adjust channels far appart from wifi neighbors as best as you can. I have a next door nieghbor, I mean right next door and there Orbi works on 6 and 48. I have to set channel 1 and 36 on my system. 

You might try setting the power level on the RBR from 100% to 75 or 50% if you do have lots of neighbors near by. This helps reduce the interference from neighbors with your signal and adjusts the foot print of the wifi coverage. How much out side single do you really need out side the home? 

Some of these issues can cause false positives on any FW. Placement and configuration of the system is key, regardless of FW version. 

@singhravik wrote:

Both the satellites are under 30ft of distance from router. Teh building material is dry-wall over wood frame (no concrete or metal).

Channels are all Auto. Should they adjust the channel per lowest noise. This was advertised as such.

Getting a poll on succes of 2.3.5.30 would be good idea. Can we do that?

Message 24 of 30
ekhalil
Master

v2.3.1.60 as well as 2.3.5.30 had the same issue with Satellite connectivity. I used to do the following to get around this issue:

1. Switch off the Satellite
  2. Go to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside the Satellite in questions
  3. Turn on the Satellite and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite
  4. When the Satellite is up after factory reset, press the Sync button on the Satellite (if you have wired backhaul then keep the Ethernet cable to the Router connected while doing the sync) and then press the Sync button on the Router
  5. When the Satellite is added after this procedure it should behave correctly.

Good luck!

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7