Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mesh?

nbgcs
Aspirant

Orbi Mesh?

I currently have a system of 4 TP-Link (TL-WR 841N ver 8.4) wireless routers providing Wi-Fi throughout my home. They have become unreliable, lost password protection, etc and I have a feeling that they are quite old.

We have internet via a satellite provider and are quite heavy use for TV, you tube, internet, etc. The house is 2500 sq ft with the internet connecting at one end, making the distance to the far end of the house quite long, hence the 4 TP-Link to connect all the way through. What would you advise we use to upgrade the system? I am not an IT pro so need a simple set up.

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Mesh?

Those are some pretty basic routers/ap's you're using currently. 

How big/long is the current home? What are the interior walls made of? 

I'm a fan of the triband orbi's. they have better throughput, lower latency than the dual bands. 

And if you're using satellite, you're probably not getting a ton of bandwidth so its still important to retain the bandwidth that you have. 

Message 2 of 4
nbgcs
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me.

The house is long, so about 30m from one end to the other, 2500 sq ft total area. The middle section is old and has 2 ft thick stone walls. So not an easy property to to get connected, although the current set up is ethernet cabled. The feed from the satellite is at one end, so it is quite a distance to the far end.

Any suggestions for a more stable set up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

As you already know, WiFi signals will struggle with 2ft. stone walls. Almost any brand of "mesh" WiFi will provide a seamless network as long as every access point is connected to the main router with ethernet cable.  It's the ethernet 'backhaul' that is key.  Many popular inexpensive mesh systems do not provide ethernet jacks on the satellite units.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7