Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mini RBK22: Issue with 5G and 2.4G connection

Argassi
Aspirant

Orbi Mini RBK22: Issue with 5G and 2.4G connection

Hi,

I have the Orbi Mini RBK22 which include one satellite router. When I connect with my sercurity CAM, which need 2.4G connection, then my other devices (mobile, tablet) will lose video streaming capability even they are still showed connected.

Checked some Q&As here, I am wondering if it has changed all my connections to 2.4G but not 5G.

Q1: what's the problem of such issue?

Q2: should I follow the instruction to set different SSID for 2.4G and 5G? How should I set it up by using the APP? or should I connect with a laptop?

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Re: Orbi Mini RBK22: Issue with 5G and 2.4G connection

Hi,

It sounds like your secuirty CAM is connecting to 2.4Ghz using an old WiFi protocol I.e.802.11b, which I believe will cause all your other devices connected to 2.4Ghz to also use 802.11b, which will reduce available bandwidth.

If you split your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to different SSIDs then as long as your other devices can connect to the 5Ghz you should be all set to go?

Good luck 🙂

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 3 of 6
Argassi
Aspirant

Thank you.
Is there anyway to make the SSID change via APP? Or it has to be done via laptop?
I have tried to connect my camera to guest WiFi, which I learnt from another related post, while it didn’t work for me.
Thank you.
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Fl1ntstone wrote:

It sounds like your secuirty CAM is connecting to 2.4Ghz using an old WiFi protocol I.e.802.11b, which I believe will cause all your other devices connected to 2.4Ghz to also use 802.11b, which will reduce available bandwidth. (yes, reduces bandwidth on the 2.4G channel.  Does NOT affect the 5G channel)

If you split your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to different SSIDs then as long as your other devices can connect to the 5Ghz you should be all set to go?

I do not see the need to create a different SSID for 5G devices.  If they already can connect at 5G, then most of them should connect at 5G.  Mine certainly do, and I have only the standard "one Orbi SSID".

Unless this is a horribly expensive security camera, my first choice would be to get one with more modern WiFi capabilities.  The 1080p Wyze cam was under $30 including tax and shipping and it supports 802.11b/g/n.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can temporarily disable the 5ghz SSID by unchecking the Enable SSID Broadcast under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. This willl force all connections to the 2.4Ghz radio. See what this does for you. 

@Argassi wrote:
Thank you.
Is there anyway to make the SSID change via APP? Or it has to be done via laptop?
I have tried to connect my camera to guest WiFi, which I learnt from another related post, while it didn’t work for me.
Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7