Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Network Apple Devices

Dumbus
Aspirant

Orbi Network Apple Devices

Last week on Tuesday or Wednesday Hotmail login and Active directory login started being blocked on Apple Devices using the Orbi wifi network.  It previously worked fine and still works fine if I do not use the mobile or other wifi networks.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Basically the Apple device on the Orbi wifi asks me to renter the password for the Hotmail account.  The Microsoft online website to confirm the password is not available.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
vajim
Master

@Dumbus wrote:

I tried everything.  Put Telstra Modem in bridge mode etc.  Finally I found in the Orbi admin website (not on the Orbi App) that Disney Circle was enabled under the security tab.  Turned it off and everything works again.  Now I just need to find out why the Disney Circle App was blocking Microsoft websites suddenly.  Thanks for your help

Nice

you may want to mark your post here as solved. 

thank you 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi doesn't block anything unless you have either Armor or maybe Circle apps enabled. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 10
Dumbus
Aspirant

Firmware is 2.5.2.4. It is connected to Telstra NBN via a Telstra Smart Modem v2. I tried turning off Armor security and still had the problem connecting to Hotmail and Active Directory. I do not think circle is active but not sure as I do have the app.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? Modem or router? This modem has a built in router already. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 4 of 10
Dumbus
Aspirant

Thanks for looking at this. I will review how the service and modem are setup over the weekend.

The main issue is this worked fine for several years and last week it stopped working.  Something must have been changed last week?  I use the Orbi app so assume the firmware updates are managed by this.  The only thing I remember doing was enable the guest WiFi as the Orbi app advised me to do it to increase security. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Its best to use a web browser and log into the RBRs web page to do any management or FW updates from the RBRs web page. 

Guest WiFi does not increase security. Guest WiFi is only for when you have guest visiting and you want to give then wifi access to the internet thru your system. Unless you have a constant need for Guest WiFI, I would keep Guest Network disabled.  

Message 6 of 10
alokeprasad
Mentor

I put all my IOT (security cameras, garage door opener, smart lights, smart TV's, Roomba etc) on the Guest network.

If the IOT device gets compromised (the cheap devices have buggy or insecure firmwares, almost never updated), then the devices are separate from my home network.

Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

IF the Telstra NBN via a Telstra Smart Modem v2 is already providing a wifi signal, then as previously suggested you may have 2 routers.  Not good.

Put the Orbi in router mode and all other(s) in AP mode

Message 8 of 10
Dumbus
Aspirant

I tried everything.  Put Telstra Modem in bridge mode etc.  Finally I found in the Orbi admin website (not on the Orbi App) that Disney Circle was enabled under the security tab.  Turned it off and everything works again.  Now I just need to find out why the Disney Circle App was blocking Microsoft websites suddenly.  Thanks for your help

Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

@Dumbus wrote:

Nice

you may want to mark your post here as solved. 

thank you 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7