Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - No wired or wireless

huntertim
Aspirant

Orbi - No wired or wireless

I have a Orbi RBR40 with 2 sattelites. It's been working fine since it was purchased around December of this year.

Late last night all internet connections stopped, it's not the first time this happened, so I was thinking it's an easy fix to reboot over the andriod app. Rebooted, and waited a few mins, the wireless came up for a min then disappeared.

Since then I haven't gotten anything to work over a wire or wireless connection. I get power, but never any other lights. Using the reset button (holding for 7+seconds while powered) doesn't seem to do anything.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
vivdot
Aspirant

Re: Orbi - No wired or wireless

I am having the same problem.  Also, phone and tablet give messages that it cannot connect because sites unsecure.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 14
tsig
Luminary

@huntertim

You bought it in December of this year?  That's some forward thinking...

Are you sure that your internet provider isn't having an issue?

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW are you using on the Orbi system? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your using with the Orbi system? 

@huntertim wrote:

I have a Orbi RBR40 with 2 sattelites. It's been working fine since it was purchased around December of this year.

Late last night all internet connections stopped, it's not the first time this happened, so I was thinking it's an easy fix to reboot over the andriod app. Rebooted, and waited a few mins, the wireless came up for a min then disappeared.

Since then I haven't gotten anything to work over a wire or wireless connection. I get power, but never any other lights. Using the reset button (holding for 7+seconds while powered) doesn't seem to do anything.

Message 4 of 14
huntertim
Aspirant

I know it's not my ISP, for two reasons

1) I get nothing from my orbi, no ip address, no connection light when hard wired, it doesnt broadcast any SSID

2) plugging in another older router works normally

I can't check the firmware version right now as I can't get connected, but I generally keep it up to date with the released versions. I haven't updated since around January?

My ISP is Time Warner and I'm using a Motorola  sbg6580

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

IS the modem running in router or bridge mode? This is a modem/router combo. It's preferred to run it in bridge mode and I believe this model supports bridge mode. Then keep the Orbi system in router mode. 

If you can't get the modem bridged, then use it's DMZ for the Orbi routers IP address it gets from the Modem/Router.

Or keep the modem/router in router mode and configure the Orbi system in LAN to LAN AP mode. 

IF you updated to v2.1.3.x, then please do a factory reset on the entire system and set up from scratch. This IS needed on this one FW version. 

Message 6 of 14
vivdot
Aspirant

I cannot check the firmware, but I purchased this at the end of February, and had Best Buy install it.  It was updated at that time.  Using a Motorola Surfboard that is equipped for DCIS because when Comcast is running, it runs at about 175 download speed.  

I called the support team and they had me unjoin and rejoin the network on my phone and iPad 

It works fine now.  I knew I had internet because I have two hardwired computers.  

Hope this helped,

vivdot

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 7 of 14
huntertim
Aspirant

Offhand I don't know which mode the modem is running in. I believe it's bridge mode, i get a public IP on my orbi when its working.

I can't do ANYTHING with my orbi right now. The only thing it does it light up the Power light. It doesn't appear to respond to anything including the hard reset button.

Really I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to attempt to bring life into it at this point.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, if it's getting a public IP address ON the Orbi router then you should be ok here. 

I would have the ISP check signals on the line from there service box to your demarkation at your home to make sure the signals are good.

How long are you holding the reset button on the router? You need to hold it at least 10-15 seconds and look at the TOP LED for an off yellowish.orange color to appear. Then let go.

Have a ethernet connection PC or laptop connected to the back of the router after this and it should get an IP address. Check the networking settings to see if it does, if so, log in to 192.168.1.1 with a web browser and you should get the set up wizard. 

Message 9 of 14
huntertim
Aspirant

I must have a major hardware problem. Holding the reset button for over 15 seconds and I get nothing on top, no colors at all. Not getting an IP on the LAN side at all wired and no SSID being broadcast.

Looks like I need to dig up my receipt and work on an RMA

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seems like it. 

Might check the power adapter tip for voltages and amps with a meter. Get ahold of NG support. Let us know how it goes. 

Message 11 of 14
Brain29
Apprentice

I just went through an RMA with the next to the same issue as you and the new one dose the same thing .. theres a big problem with these routers 

Message 12 of 14
vivdot
Aspirant

Had to reset the router again this am
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post about your problem and we'll help you out. Your issue maybe different from the OP problem which his needs to be RMAd.

@vivdot wrote:
Had to reset the router again this am

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7