Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Not Communicating well through stone wall of house

Talvarez9294
Aspirant

Orbi Not Communicating well through stone wall of house

My Orbi system works well inside the house but my Hayward pool equipment located about 20 feet from my main hub but separated by a stone wall of my house is getting a terrible connection.  Speed tests in the majority of places in my house get readings of 200 to 400 but when I go outside by the pool equipment I get a reading of 15.  I have a main hub +2 satellites and again the pool equipment is only about 20 feet from the main hub and inside the bedroom where the hub is located the main hub that is gets its highest speed over 400 but just through the wall it’s reduced to 15.  Is there something I can get to increase that speed by the pool equipment. I do have an outlet on the stone wall next to the pool equipment not sure if there is an extender I could buy and plug-in outside.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Not Communicating well through stone wall of house

Stone, rock and concrete and metal are known materials that inhibit any WiFi or radio signals. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Talvarez9294 wrote:

Is there something I can get to increase that speed by the pool equipment. I do have an outlet on the stone wall next to the pool equipment not sure if there is an extender I could buy and plug-in outside.

Even though there is electrical power outside, no radio transmission will get through the wall any better than the Orbi 2.4G signal does.  Getting a WiFi booster signal outside runs into all sorts of problems: needing outdoor rated equipment, creating a pathway for the required ethernet or PoE cable through the stone wall, etc.

It may be worth considering whether this is actually a "problem" or not.  It was not too long ago that people ran their entire house on a 15mbs internet link.  How much data does a pool controller send/receive?  Surely, it is not steaming video.  Unless the pool controller is not functioning correctly, I (personally) would leave it alone.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you truly need a better connection, maybe a powerline device would work. If your pool outlet is on the same panel, you should be able to run a powerline device. Powerline devices are sensitive to interference so even that connection might not be that great. But its a possibility. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7