Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi OpenVPN transfer problem

Rallysport
Follower

Orbi OpenVPN transfer problem

Intro: 

Need to fix a file transfer problem between my remote NAS behind an RBR50, and current location via the RBR50s built-in OpenVPN service.

This problem started about 2 weeks ago (beginning of March 2019). I’ve been remote since mid-January 2019 and have had no issue until now.

Question:

• How can I fix this problem remotely? (see details below)
  • If I update the RBR from v2.2.1.210 to v2.2.1.212 to v2.3.0.32 could this fix the problem?
  • Would updating remotely cause the RBR50 to become unresponsive without a local reboot or someone to do factory reset should that need arise? This would cause me to be unable to access via Google Drive (not everything is backed up to the drive).

Thanks for any help offered!

Local Setup: (Central Florida area)

• Cable modem with ~10-12 mbps upload, ~ 50-80 mbps download.
  • Local Router: Linksys EA6350 v.1
  • Both WiFi and physical ethernet cable to router have been used.
  • Rebooted router/modem several times.
  • Has worked flawlessly the 6 week previous to this issue
  • Client machine running OpenVPN v11.10.0.0

Remote Setup: (NW North Carolina)

• Static IP fiber connection to house, ethernet run from ISP equipment to the RBR50.
  • Upload/download IPS speed 40 Mbps.
  • NAS is Netgear RN31400 v6.9.1 (v6.9.5 I found unstable. Not able to maintain file transfer locally). Went back to v6.9.1 in Oct and have had no further issues.
  • Windows PC running at remote site

What I can do:

• Get “0x8007003B unexpected network error occurred” message locally when file transfer fails
  • I am able to connect to the remote PC via chrome remote desktop
  • I’ve moved in excess of 7 GB of data multiple times from the NAS to that remote PC (both on the same network) with no issue. Doesn’t seem to be a communication problem between remote PC & NAS
  • Connect to my work VPN using the same OpenVPN client & up/download large files successfully.
  • I do have necessary files synched from the remote NAS to my Google Drive account, but it's cumbersome to transfer files this way.
  • Google Drive up/downloads files to/from the remote NAS successfully, no interruptions.
  • Access other remote devices (security cameras)
  • Transfer to/from remote site to local, small files up to ~50 Kbytes
  • Transfer larger files up to 5 Mbytes 1 time every 8 or 10 attempts
  • Remotely reboot NAS & RBR50.
  • Create new OpenVPN .opvn files and certificates on the remote PC and transfer them via Google Drive to local machine. (using them didn’t fix issue)
  • Use older .ovpn file created in Oct 2018 (still causes issue)

What I can’t do (since issue began 1st week of March 2019)

• Physically access the RBR50 (I’m a 10 hour drive away and am not able to leave, thus the remote connection)
  • Do a factory reset remotely (I would likely lose the ability to connect at all)
  • Maintain a stable file transfer for anything over about 50 Kbytes connection via OpenVPN with the following:
    • Windows 10 machine
    • Ubuntu LINUX machine
    • Apple iPhone 7 (both on and off WiFi)
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 2
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi OpenVPN transfer problem

Hi Rallysport

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

We appreciate the detailed description of the issue you're facing with the Orbi System. We would like to verify the following information: 

- What was the firmware version when issue started? 
- Was there any changes prior the update? 
- How do you access the NAS? 

A new firmware (v2.3.1.44) was recently released. Here's the release notes: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060756/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-44

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation