Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi - Option to Automatically Update Firmware?

Orbi - Option to Automatically Update Firmware?

I'm trying to find out if Orbi has an option to automatically download and install firmware updates.  I'm really trying to get to a "setup and forget" situation with the Orbi;  So far I think performance has been stellar, but we're only now getting the tools to keep administration to a minimum.

Another option would be notifications from the app letting me know an update is available;  Right now when you connect to your network at home, the app tells you if there is an update, but its a "pull" notification rather than a "push".

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello NortheastGuy

This is a great suggestion but right now you still have to login to the router to update it.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought my 3 pack from Costco for $499 today and set it up.   It's showing firmware is v1.2.0.6.  will I have to manually update the router and both satellites?   I'm a little leary to do it given the pain it was to get it connected to begin with.  

Message 3 of 15
dragoncat
Aspirant

You NEED to update to the latest firmware to access the new features (Guest Account capability for example) and for effective use of the two satellites.  Manual updating works well.  I have the same setup and all is working properly.

Message 4 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. When I log in to the system, I see the update for the router.  But for the two satellites, it stays stuck at "Please wait a moment".   So the option to update all is never a clickable option. Any thoughts?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 15
twocybers
Star

Regarding the Costco system, I had that and just waited, and waited and eventually it happened.  In my case there were two different versions of firmware I had to download & install.  

The Base station installed first - frankly I thought is was stuck and moved on.  When I returned I found the two satellites had installed.  The second firmware update happened rather quickly.   

Message 6 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good to know. Thank you!

Message 7 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, the router updated yesterday, but the satellites still show the older version and never finish their status - it continues to show "Please wait a moment" and never changes for both.  See attached image 

Does this ever fix itself, or do I need to manually do something else?

Thanks!Satellit Status Please Wait a Moment

Message 8 of 15
MarkC1024
Luminary

You're better off just completing the upgrade manually - especially if you were on an older version that had problems doing the update itself.

Message 9 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  But the "update all" button is never avaliable because the status never changes.  Is there another method?

Message 10 of 15
MarkC1024
Luminary

There is a tab for manual.  Just download the version you want first.

Message 11 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 12 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should have seen that but missed it.  Thanks again.  For anyone else running across this thread, there's a guide here:  http://kb.netgear.com/000036450/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-18?cid=wmt_netgear_organic 

Message 13 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should have seen that but missed it.  Thanks again.  For anyone else running across this thread, there's a guide here:  http://kb.netgear.com/000036450/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-18?cid=wmt_netgear_organic 

And the Netgear download center is here:  http://downloadcenter.netgear.com

Message 14 of 15
NOS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Done!  Happy to have everything updated.  Thanks again.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7