Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Outdoor Satellite NOT connecting 5G

Crg1
Star

Orbi Outdoor Satellite NOT connecting 5G

I installed the Orbi RBS50Y Outdoor satellite this weekend and realized that none of my devices are connecting via 5G. I have the RBK50 with one Satellite and added the outdoor recently. The decvices I have that connect 5G are connected to the router and original satellite using 5G but for some reason not the Outdoor unit. My iPhone 8s can connect to the router and satellite at 5G as I walk near them but even if I am 3 feet away for the outdoor unit it still only connects 2.5G. Is there somthing in the setup to turn on 5G? or is it just not working?

***NOTE - I can see that the backhaul connection between the outdoor satellite and the router is a 5G connection.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to adjust the 5ghz channel in the wireless setting or you may try to lower the power of the 2.4ghz in the advanced wireless settings.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
Crg1
Star

I am not sure I can do that to just the Outdoor satellite. The controls in the app and web seem to be universal for the entire system. Is there a place to access just the Outdoor unit?

Message 3 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

you can access each satellite by using there Ip address in your web browser and you can find the Ip address in the attached devices page.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 6
Crg1
Star

Do you know if it's possible to have the SSID for each satellite be broadcast? I.E. Outdoor Satellite_2.4G and Outdoor Satellite_5G

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the satellites work in extender mode so they connect to the main SSID then re-broadcast it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7