Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Performance in AP Mode

aellul
Star

Orbi Performance in AP Mode

Hi all, 

I am currently toying around the idea of using my Orbi system in AP mode.  To be honest I do not need the router functionality other than the parental controls.  My service provide uses the Arris internet cable modem which are pretty decent in my opinion.  As regards the parental controls, I am sure I can find better solutions as the parental controls in the Netgear system is not good anyway.

So my decision point would be if the Orbi system performs better in access point mode, I would use it in this way.  If on the other hand perfmance is unchanged I just wouldn't bother.

I tried to search for such information but was unable to find a clear answer/infomation on the matter.

I would appreciate your comments and thank you in advance.

Regards

Aldo

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@aellul wrote:

My service provide uses the Arris internet cable modem which are pretty decent in my opinion.

Hi Aldo,

Hard to help as there are many different Arris cable modem/routers. WiFi technology seems to range (on currently sold products as per http://shop.surfboard.com from N300, AC1300 over AC1600, the AC1750 to the AC1900 class.

@aellul wrote:

So my decision point would be if the Orbi system performs better in access point mode, I would use it in this way.  If on the other hand perfmance is unchanged I just wouldn't bother.

The client facing WiFi on Orbi is in the AC1300 class:

• Up to 400 Mbps for older devices that support 2.4 GHz and 256 QAM
  • Up to 866 Mbps for newer devices that support 5 GHz and 802.11ac

The key for Orbi is not the usage a single AP - of course it's a valid config to install a single unit - much more the ability to install multiple satellites to build a wireless distribution mesh based on dedicated a AC1750 5 GHz band, fully independent of the AC1300 Access point class, providing a much larger coverage - 5GHz reach (distance, building, ...) permitting. In marketing terms, this does sum up to AC3000 why ever. 

I'm not sure if a single Orbi in AP mode would allow to use both 5 GHz radios in AP mode making it a true tri-band AP, allowing more 5 GHz clients be connected independently as we know it ie. from the Nighthawk R8000 and R8500 routers, which can be configured like all new Nighthawk routers to a pure Wireless Access Point.

Needless to say - the maximum single WiFi STA (client) performance can be reached it the WiFi client does support the latest standards, too.

@aellul wrote:

To be honest I do not need the router functionality other than the parental controls.  My service provide uses the Arris internet cable modem which are pretty decent in my opinion.  As regards the parental controls, I am sure I can find better solutions as the parental controls in the Netgear system is not good anyway.

I'm curious if Netgear does hear you here ... 

Regards

-Kurt 

Message 2 of 10
aellul
Star

Hi Kurt

Appreciate your input.

I never said I want to use a single unit.  I currently have two and am waiting for Netgear to make the additional satellites available as it is my intention to add another satellite.  This is make the system of three Orbi.

Thanks 

Message 3 of 10
st_shaw
Master

Simple answer.  Throughput for wired and wireless connections should be the same in router or AP mode.  Overall performance will be better in AP mode, and that is how you should configure Orbi, if you intend to use Orbi behind another router.

Message 4 of 10
aellul
Star

thank you.

may i ask if you have experienced this yourself?

i will defintley be testing it and see if there are any differences.

regards 

Message 5 of 10

@aellul wrote:

thank you.

regards 

i have and in AP mode its better and thats because all its doing is wifi and not routing , any routing and or qos will effect performance no matter what you use

thats why i use the orbi for what its great at and thats whole home wifi and in ap mode

Message 6 of 10
aellul
Star

great

thank you

Message 7 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@aellul wrote:

thank you.

regards 

Yes, the answer is based on experience. The answer is also based on networking principles.

Message 8 of 10
JMU1998
Luminary

I have mine in AP mode as well, the googlefiber Box is doing the routing and Orbi in AP mode is handling only Wifi functions primarily so it's resources and processing power is mostly dedicated to wifi therefore better performance.

Message 9 of 10
abdu232
Star

i am planning to buy the orbi 3 set but to put it on AP mode it will work good ? i can go ahad and buy it?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7