Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi + PiHole DNS problem

deenn
Tutor

Orbi + PiHole DNS problem

Hey everyone,

After having to reset my Orbi router this morning after all my late night tinkering yesterday, i've come to you for help.

I've installed PiHole on a fresh pi 3B+ and i can reach it trough 10.0.0.2/admin.
My Orbi (IP address 10.0.0.1) is installed behind my ISP modem, so i've enabled DHCP on the Orbi and disabled it on the modem (192.168.1.1). I've started a PPPoe connection on the Orbi (as per the instructions of my ISP) aswell, which is working.

Next would be simply to point my Orbi to the Pi as DNS, right? On the Orbi: advanced, internet settings and 'use this DNS': 10.0.0.2. When I do this though, I don't get any queries in PiHole. My internet still works (I would assume it would not work if the DNS server is wrong?).

Does anyone have any experience with PiHole, or can point me in the right direction with the DNS?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
deenn
Tutor

I have found this thread: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/ny8fv9/ip_dhcp_from_isp_dns_local/

It seems like the Orbi is just a crappy router for any customization. It doesn't even have LAN-side DNS settings.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

I've used pihole on my orbi before and it worked well. 

but I wasn't cascading routers.  i was going direct modem only device to orbi. 

It could be the ISP modem is acting in some factor. 

What modem/gateway is it? 

Are you using ipv4/ipv6?

Where are you plugging your info into (screen shot it)?

Have you tried using the isp device as the router (disable its wifi) and use the orbi as an access point? Might simplify the DNS setup. 

Message 3 of 7
bostonvex
Guide

Hi,

I have a similar setup but moved the DHCP functionality to the Pihole and I also moved the Pihole address higher up into the subnet. Furth octet of the pihole ip address is .28 vs your .2

Additionbally, I also have an external Circle and had to move th DNS and DHCP to the "Unmanaged
 group ton prevent arp spoofing for those requests.

Are you able to do a tcpdump on the pihole to see what si aheppeningt at layer 2, 3?

Message 4 of 7
deenn
Tutor

I'm very sorry and it seems I'm getting a piece of humble pie. I've connected my Pi through a cable to the Orbi and it works now. I realised I had chosen eth0 instead of wLan during the install of PiHole. 

I've found other people with similar problems with the Orbi and had other problems earlier, so I forgot to look at the most probable culprit first; me. 

The problem has thus been solved.

Thank you Bostonplex & Pleemans for even trying to help my overlooking ass. 

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad its working!

I've gotten a bit frustrated at times too as I was running my setup in a container hosted on a windows pc. 

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

I've gotten a bit frustrated at times too as I was running my setup in a container hosted on a windows pc. 

Not much frustration operating PiHole on a QNAP hosted container here 8-)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7