Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi + Powerline on one mesh?

Zuur
Follower

Orbi + Powerline on one mesh?

I plan to use a 2x Orbi system in my house; there is lots of roaming in the house so the mesh system allowing for devices to seamlessly pass between the two Orbi's will be a big bonus.

I live on a farm and we also have an area around the farm sheds not too far from the house where we'd like good WiFi coverage. There is a powerline between the hosue and the sheds so I can use a powerline connector, but we also get very bad WiFi coverage from the house AP's (sometimes) to the shed area, so the problem is that if I wander down to the shed with my phone, even though there's a good strong AP down there my phone remains connected to the house AP. So the question is: is there a way to extend an Orbi mesh through a powerline connector so I can have seamless handover in the shed area?

Message 1 of 2
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Orbi + Powerline on one mesh?

I think this would require Ethernet backhaul, which currently is missing from Orbi.

You would use the Powerline devices as a substitute for a long Ethernet cable in your walls.

Orbi satellites currently talk to each other and the router only via Wifi 5 GHz, so this isn't possible yet. Netgear has said they are working on this feature.

I would be interested in this too. Keep in mind powerline AV throughput is much less than advertised. I have some AV1200 devices and I'm lucky to get 100 Mbps in iperf out of them. Much slower than Orbi over Wifi (when it works) which gets 300-400 Mbps from the same machine. And powerline throughput will get worse with distance too, just like Wifi.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7