Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Pro - signals flatlining

texasTrio
Aspirant

Orbi Pro - signals flatlining

Still debugging Orib Pro Wi-Fi disconnects.  The organization has a router, satellite and two ceiling mounts. Most of the client device are not moving around. The symptoms are random Wi-Fi connected devices disconnect, and most reconnect.  The Raspberry Pi based commercial devices don't re-connect. The phone, Mac and Windows devices do reconnect. There is a few second pause between reconnections.  The wired ethernet devices work fine.  The 30Mb streaming upload works fine.  

I tried a variety of debugging approaches: read forums, updated firmware, reduced power to ceiling mounts, split 2.4 and 5ghz channels, purchased a new cable modem, had Suddenlink inspect and verify the lines and signals are fine.   I decided that either one of the devices is bad, or there is some noise affecting the Wi-Fi signals. 

Today I unplugged the ceiling mount devices. There are only the router and satellite running. I turned on the Android Wi-Fi analyzer app and I can see three signals (one for 2.4 and two for 5ghz) for each of the three networks (staff, kids and admin).   You can see the signal noise in the app. 

Screenshot_20220630-094524_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

Then I had a "duh" moment. I never saw the filter option on the app. I filtered to see only the staff signals.

Screenshot_20220630-104309_Wifi Analyzer.jpg  Screenshot_20220630-110413_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

That is when I saw the flatlining signal. From my previous experience, that indicates a bad device.  After some seconds, the signal comes back on.   BTW, three of those broadcast signals are coming from the router and the other two are from the satellite.  Why doesn't the satellite have three also TBD?   Next, I disconnected the satellite and now signals flatlining and no device disconnects. I plugged back in the satellite and same signal problem.   I did not try the same thing with the other ceiling mount devices yet. 

I talked the person who installed the system and he suggested that might be normal for an Orbi mesh as it does its magic making sure the SSIDs are visible and powerful.  My opinion was that is not normal and indicates a hardware/firmare fault (as it did on two other routers I had). 

At this point I think I found the culprit. I am going to replace the satellite with a switch as we don't need the Wi-Fi broadcasts in that part of the building.  My next step is to perform the same test on the ceiling devices to see if they are showing intermittent flatlining. We have to re-power the raspberry pi KidCheck devices before using as they can't recover from the drops. 

Suggestions on a better way forward?

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro - signals flatlining

@texasTrio wrote:

That is when I saw the flatlining signal. From my previous experience, that indicates a bad device. 

When I open WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan, I see the same pattern of some WiFi signals dropping to zero and then reappearing. All WiFi signals vary in signal level over time, but only some of them disappear completely.  Which app displays "signal noise"?

Message 2 of 6
texasTrio
Aspirant

By signal noise, I meant all of the graphs on the display at the same time.  1 router, 1 satellite, 2 ceiling devices, 3 networks, and 2.4 and 5ghz broadcasts, that is 4 devices X 3 networks X 2 ghz = 24 broadcasts.   By the other noise, I meant possible electromagnetic interference or short somewhere causing the drops.   Bad choice of words. 

I don't think it is normal for a broadcast to drop to -100 off the chart.   When the satellite is off, the broadcast power is in normal ranges. 

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@texasTrio wrote:
We have to re-power the raspberry pi KidCheck devices before using as they can't recover from the drops. 

Can you provide a link to the Raspberry Pi KidCheck devices?  (I found a station using an Asus computer, but not one that specifically mentioned the Pi.)  I have two Raspberry Pis and both seem to recover their WiFi connection after power outages and when I make changes on the router that restart WiFi. I would think that if other devices automatically recover their WiFi connections, the Pis would as well.  Maybe something to mention to KidCheck support?

How are users aware of interruptions lasting only seconds?  (Breaks in Zoom sessions?  Breaks in phone conversations?...)

Message 4 of 6
texasTrio
Aspirant

https://store.kidcheck.com/expresshub

The devices recover Wi-Fi if their power shuts off.  The devices are not recovering Wi-Fi when the Orbi router drops connections.  I have been talking to their support team.

Message 5 of 6
texasTrio
Aspirant

And interruptions are drops in live stream, zoom, email access.  It takes about 3-10 seconds for some devices to reconnect.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements