Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Purple Light after ISP change: Resolution

BigAl01
Aspirant

Orbi Purple Light after ISP change: Resolution

I own an Orbi RBR20 to provide better WiFi coverage in my house. I have been generally happy with the product.

I recently changed ISP providers. I set up my new modem and connected to the internet. I then moved my Orbi from the old modem to the new. After rebooting I got the purple light - which normally means no internet connectivity. I tried the online chat. The person could not really help and promised a tech support callback in 10-15 minutes. At this point, I had one computer directly connect to my new modem and one directly connect to the Orbi.

Almost an hour later I started poking into the Orbi via the browser interface (generally 10.0.0.1). After a few minutes I noticed that the Orbi's static IP address was 192.168.1.18 with the internet gateway address and DNS address of 192.168.1.1. "Odd", I thought. I went to the other computer and double checked the modem. Its IP address was 192.168.0.1. "Hmm", I thought. I went back to the Orbi, changed its static address to match the modem's address range - namely 192.168.0.18 and the gateway/DNS to 192.168.0.1. I applied the changes and "Presto" internet connectivity! I told the chat person that I had resolved the issue on my own and to cancel the support call.

Four hours later, a tech finally did call but I was out. "Martin" did leave a callback number which was my phone number prefixed with the 912 area code, and an extension number 2027. "No way", I thought. However, I did want to let him know how I resolved the issue so I gave it a try.  As I suspected, the return call "could not be completed as dialed". Martin must have been reading my home phone number when he gave my spouse the call back number. Not impressed.

Anyway, if you do get a steady purple light, especially after a network configuration change, check to make sure that your Orbi has a static IP address in the IP range for you modem and that the gateway/DNS address matches your modem.

Good luck!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Purple Light after ISP change: Resolution

Glad this worked for you. Having a static IP address on the Orbi WAN interface is not typical.  The default condition for Orbi routers is for the Orbi to use DHCP to ask for an address.

This sounds very much like there are "two routers" (ISP and Orbi) 192.168.0.1 is a private IP address.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 

This is described as a "Double NAT" condition. 

It is not unusual at all*.  Please be aware that there are specific activities which a Double NAT will interfere with, such as opening ports, setting up OpenVPN, streaming security cameras (in specifi ways), and some forms of internet gaming.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

*For example, I have connected three routers back-to-back.  A PC connected to the 3rd router worked just fin:web browsing, email, streaming video, etc.  I made no attempt to do the things that are certain not to work.

Message 2 of 5
BigAl01
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn:

Having the double NAT was not my original intention. When I first bought the Orbi I had a lot of difficulty setting it up. It was only after hours on the phone with Netgear Tech support that the configuration wound up this way in the first place.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, what is the brand and model # of the new ISP modem your working with? 

@BigAl01 wrote:

I own an Orbi RBR20 to provide better WiFi coverage in my house. I have been generally happy with the product.

I recently changed ISP providers. I set up my new modem and connected to the internet. I then moved my Orbi from the old modem to the new. After rebooting I got the purple light - which normally means no internet connectivity. I tried the online chat. The person could not really help and promised a tech support callback in 10-15 minutes. At this point, I had one computer directly connect to my new modem and one directly connect to the Orbi.

Almost an hour later I started poking into the Orbi via the browser interface (generally 10.0.0.1). After a few minutes I noticed that the Orbi's static IP address was 192.168.1.18 with the internet gateway address and DNS address of 192.168.1.1. "Odd", I thought. I went to the other computer and double checked the modem. Its IP address was 192.168.0.1. "Hmm", I thought. I went back to the Orbi, changed its static address to match the modem's address range - namely 192.168.0.18 and the gateway/DNS to 192.168.0.1. I applied the changes and "Presto" internet connectivity! I told the chat person that I had resolved the issue on my own and to cancel the support call.

Four hours later, a tech finally did call but I was out. "Martin" did leave a callback number which was my phone number prefixed with the 912 area code, and an extension number 2027. "No way", I thought. However, I did want to let him know how I resolved the issue so I gave it a try.  As I suspected, the return call "could not be completed as dialed". Martin must have been reading my home phone number when he gave my spouse the call back number. Not impressed.

Anyway, if you do get a steady purple light, especially after a network configuration change, check to make sure that your Orbi has a static IP address in the IP range for you modem and that the gateway/DNS address matches your modem.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Some of us have sort of a mantra, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." As long as your devices work as they should, there is no need to change anything.  Just be aware that there are specific activities that cannot function with two routers.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7