Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi QoS for Gaming RBK50

sayboon
Tutor

Orbi QoS for Gaming RBK50

Hi Netgear,

Are there any plans or timeline on when QoS will be officially available from a gaming standpoint? FPS gamers out there using Orbi will attest that they'll want priority on device to mitigate latency issues.

Ta

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have no info on this at this time but I do know this has been a suggestion from the users and the engineers are aware that this feature is wanted.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 10
sayboon
Tutor

Thanks for the reply DarrenM. Just out of curiosity and the benefit of other users, why was it not included in the first place? Appears standard across the other Netgear models and as an owner of previous Netgear routers, that feature is pretty much as developed and mature as it can be.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 10
Zdman
Guide

Is there any QOS operational in the latest firmware at all? I am seeing wired and wireless devises streaming video and taking up all the bandwidth from other users. The speedtest under QOS does not seem to do anything.  Thinking about using my old Netgear router (WNDR3400) that has proper QOS and putting my orbi in AP Mode. Considering what I paid for an orbi and three satellites this seems like an odd thing to have to do. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

IT's been said that there is a very basic QoS working behind the scenes. Nothing advanced.

On my system, it seems to work ok. I have two xbox consoels and do gaming. One streams alot as well. Haven't seen any issues while gaming. It would be nice to have some advanced controlls to set some priorities though. The Orbi systems aren't really directed towards gaming, however for general gaming, seems to work ok.

@Zdman wrote:

Is there any QOS operational in the latest firmware at all? I am seeing wired and wireless devises streaming video and taking up all the bandwidth from other users. The speedtest under QOS does not seem to do anything.  Thinking about using my old Netgear router (WNDR3400) that has proper QOS and putting my orbi in AP Mode. Considering what I paid for an orbi and three satellites this seems like an odd thing to have to do. 

Message 6 of 10
Zdman
Guide

Ok, thanks. I did go back in and ran the speedtest under QOS. Interestingly though I am not seen an “apply or save” button (used safari and chrome) so I was not sure if the router even used this info. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe it sets it automatically when used.

Message 8 of 10
Breggen
Star

Once you are logged into your Orbi router if you manually type this address in the URL, http://orbi login.net/QOS_main.htm, you can get to several pages that have more options for setting QOS priorities. 
My questions is, do these priorities even work? I have set several priorities, from "normal" to "highest", for various MAC addresses and the LAN ports but I don't know if they are even doing anything on my Orbi router. Are they?

On the first page you can seemingly enable or disable WMM and turn "Internet access QOS" on or off. WMM is ebabled by default and Internet access QOS seems to be turned off by default. I left WMM enabled and turned Internet access QOS on becuase I assumed that if I did not turn it on the priorities I set would have no effect (assuming that they might work at all). 

There is also an an option to "Enable upstream QOS" which does not seemingly work. 

At the bottom of the page is a "SETUP QOS RULE" link which brings you to another page where you can delete or edit 30 QOS priorities that are already seeminlgly in place and where you can create new priorities.

I would really appreciate someone from Netgear explaining what is going on with these semingly hidden QOS settings on the Orbo roouter.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Hidden-Orbi-QOS-settings-Do-they-work/m-p/1598181#M34850

@Breggen wrote:

Once you are logged into your Orbi router if you manually type this address in the URL, http://orbi login.net/QOS_main.htm, you can get to several pages that have more options for setting QOS priorities. 
My questions is, do these priorities even work? I have set several priorities, from "normal" to "highest", for various MAC addresses and the LAN ports but I don't know if they are even doing anything on my Orbi router. Are they?

On the first page you can seemingly enable or disable WMM and turn "Internet access QOS" on or off. WMM is ebabled by default and Internet access QOS seems to be turned off by default. I left WMM enabled and turned Internet access QOS on becuase I assumed that if I did not turn it on the priorities I set would have no effect (assuming that they might work at all). 

There is also an an option to "Enable upstream QOS" which does not seemingly work. 

At the bottom of the page is a "SETUP QOS RULE" link which brings you to another page where you can delete or edit 30 QOS priorities that are already seeminlgly in place and where you can create new priorities.

I would really appreciate someone from Netgear explaining what is going on with these semingly hidden QOS settings on the Orbo roouter.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7