Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RB-50 and printing

jmheckman
Aspirant

Orbi RB-50 and printing

Recently, I lost the ability to print.  My HP 8600 printer tells me that my computer and printer are on different networks, but both devices are on the same Orbi network with the same name.  I have reset all equipment, deleted the printer software and even forced the computer and the router to log into the router using the same bandwidth.  Still no printing capabilities.  I unplugged the Orbi satellite and forced both devices to log into the main router.  Still nothing.  HP says it's an Orbi issue.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
jmheckman
Aspirant

Thanks, everyone for your help in solving my problem.  At the risk of sounding stupid, I wanted to come clean and let you all know that my printing problem is fixed.  Somehow during renovation in our family room an ethernet cable from the ORBI got plugged back  into the modem creating a loop.  Everything I tried showed me that I had two networks with the same name and I knew I didn't.  But the loop created the second network.  As soon as I unplugged the additional ethernet cable, all is good.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

How is the printer and PC connected to the Orbi? WIreless or wired? 

Have you set up an IP address reservation for the printer ON the Orbi router? Then point the printer driver to this IP address?

Besure any security software is temporarily disabled while installing drivers. 

Message 2 of 11
poswald
Guide

My suggestion is to check to see if your Orbi has decided to use channel 12, 13 or 14. Some printers don't have the ability to see these channels. See this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WiFi-printer-problem/m-p/1562633#M29951

I had a problem with a printer and forcing the Orbi to use a specific channel fixed it for me.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any of the suggestions help.

@jmheckman wrote:

Recently, I lost the ability to print.  My HP 8600 printer tells me that my computer and printer are on different networks, but both devices are on the same Orbi network with the same name.  I have reset all equipment, deleted the printer software and even forced the computer and the router to log into the router using the same bandwidth.  Still no printing capabilities.  I unplugged the Orbi satellite and forced both devices to log into the main router.  Still nothing.  HP says it's an Orbi issue.  Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@jmheckman wrote:

Can you please list the IP addresses assigned to your computer and that for your printer. Please check directly in the computer (under network settings) and in the printer (under network settings).

I suspect that you have 2 DHCP servers in your network providing IP address asignments.

Message 5 of 11
jmheckman
Aspirant

Thanks.  I forced the ORBI to channel 11 but still cannot print.

Message 6 of 11
jmheckman
Aspirant

Here's what I've determined so far:

What FW is currently loaded? -- v2.2.1.210

Cisco DPC3941T

How is the printer and PC connected to the Orbi? WIreless or wired?  wirelessly

Have you set up an IP address reservation for the printer ON the Orbi router? Then point the printer driver to this IP address?  No.  I don't know how.... sorry.

THANKS!!

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this with the printer:

https://kb.netgear.com/24091/How-do-I-reserve-a-LAN-IP-address-on-my-Nighthawk-router

@jmheckman wrote:

Here's what I've determined so far:

What FW is currently loaded? -- v2.2.1.210

Cisco DPC3941T

How is the printer and PC connected to the Orbi? WIreless or wired?  wirelessly

Have you set up an IP address reservation for the printer ON the Orbi router? Then point the printer driver to this IP address?  No.  I don't know how.... sorry.

THANKS!!

Message 8 of 11
jmheckman
Aspirant

OK.... I assigned a static IP to the printer and reserved it in the ORBI.  Still not able to print.  I can print from my iPhone (air print).  Does that help with the troubleshooting?

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, now re-install the printer drivers on your PC and besure to point the drivers to that IP address you reserved for the printer. 

If the phone is printing to the printer, then something probably on the PC isn't setup right. 

Message 10 of 11
jmheckman
Aspirant

Thanks, everyone for your help in solving my problem.  At the risk of sounding stupid, I wanted to come clean and let you all know that my printing problem is fixed.  Somehow during renovation in our family room an ethernet cable from the ORBI got plugged back  into the modem creating a loop.  Everything I tried showed me that I had two networks with the same name and I knew I didn't.  But the loop created the second network.  As soon as I unplugged the additional ethernet cable, all is good.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7