Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB(R/S)50 Not Auto Updating to Firmware v2.0.0.76

Royalh13
Star

Orbi RB(R/S)50 Not Auto Updating to Firmware v2.0.0.76

It appears that there's a firmware hotfix available here: https://kb.netgear.com/000049562/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-0-0-76-Hot-Fix

However when I log in to my Orbi using the Android App and go to About then Check for Orbi Firmware Updates, or log in to orbilogin.com, they say there is no new firmware version available.

Firstly, why doesn't the 2.0.0.76 firmware show up when I check and secondly, why didn't the Orbi automatically update itself?

EDIT - The Date/Time Stamp on the above hotfix is:

Last Updated:11/02/2017 | Article ID: 000049562

So this fix has been out almost a full month...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi RB(R/S)50 Not Auto Updating to Firmware v2.0.0.76

2.0.0.76 is a Beta release, the Orbi only auto-updates to official releases. You can, however, download the firmware from the page whose URL you have quoted, and manually update your Orbi. It's easy to do, just remember to update the satellite unit first. Usually, the release notes for a firmware release tell you how to manually update your Orbi. The release notes are usually included in the .zip firmware image archives. In the case of 2.0.0.76, release notes are in the .zip archives, and they describe how to flash the firmware onto your Orbi units in detail.

I've manually flashed to 2.0.0.76 Beta, and my Orbi is doing great using it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
RogerSC
Virtuoso

2.0.0.76 is a Beta release, the Orbi only auto-updates to official releases. You can, however, download the firmware from the page whose URL you have quoted, and manually update your Orbi. It's easy to do, just remember to update the satellite unit first. Usually, the release notes for a firmware release tell you how to manually update your Orbi. The release notes are usually included in the .zip firmware image archives. In the case of 2.0.0.76, release notes are in the .zip archives, and they describe how to flash the firmware onto your Orbi units in detail.

I've manually flashed to 2.0.0.76 Beta, and my Orbi is doing great using it.

Message 2 of 8
tagteam
Virtuoso

Royalh13 wrote:
...Firstly, why doesn't the 2.0.0.76 firmware show up when I check and secondly, why didn't the Orbi automatically update itself?

It's *beta* firmware; they only push release versions.

Message 3 of 8
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Is there any update on a stable release ?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
Royalh13
Star

It is also marked as a "HotFix" so I'm not sure that it should be called a Beta?

Or if it's a Beta, then should it really be marked as a HotFix, which may mislead people into thinking that it's a critical fix.

I would think that "Beta Security Patch" would be a better description.

Also, it's been over a month now - how long does NetGear normally take to go from Beta to Prod?
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Message 6 of 8
Royalh13
Star

Thanks!

Looks like I'll have to do the update manually again though, since my Orbi still says no newer firmware available, even after I hit the Check button...

Edit - just saw the note on the update page saying that auto-update will be available "soon"...
Message 7 of 8
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Yes, just did the manual update, and looks good to me *smile*.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7