Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB23 wifi connections to a Dell and HP desktop

Martin46
Aspirant

Orbi RB23 wifi connections to a Dell and HP desktop

I have an RB23 mesh wifi system.  Current firmware is 2.5.1.16.  It is having major problems in connecting to my 2 desktop computers running Windows 10.  9 other devices are working without problems including a Windows laptop, Amazon Echo devices, iPads and iPhones and a Lenovo tablet P10.

On initial system setup everything worked except the wifi on 2 desktop computers Dell Inspiron and HP Pavillion.  Eventually after doing a factory reset they worked.

A week later the problem recurred and with Netgear advice I changed both the channels on the wifi and they worked again.

A week later I noticed on my orbilogin that a firmware upgrade was available for the router; this was v2.6.2.104.  The same problem occurred.  With Netgear advice I installed an earlier firmware v2.5.1.16 and the problem was solved.

A week later my Orbi app was telling me to update the firmware to 2.6.2.104 so I contacted Netgear and they advised to do nothing and wait for the next upgrade.  While talking to them about another problem with installing a smart plug using 2.4GHz it was suggested to change the 2.4 GHz channel to 9 or 6 from auto.  I changed it to channel 9 and I lost wifi on the 2 desktops.  I changed it back to auto and still no wifi on the desktops.

When trying to connect to the Orbi on the desktops I get messages like "Can't connect to the network" or "Unable to connect to this network".  Occasionally the HP does connect but the signal is very weak and keeps dropping out the Dell which is only 12 months old never responds.

According to the app signal strength is very good and download speed is circa 36 MHz

Whenever I make a change like channel 9 to auto both desktops lose the orbi network SSID for 10-20 minutes while other devices are working happily

The desktop computers are adjacent to the RBR20 router as was the ASUS laptop, an Echo Dot and the Lenovo tablet that all worked.  I seem to recall the desktops were connected to the router with 2.4 GHz.   Currently the Amazon Echo is connected with 2.4 Ghz and the Lenovo tablet with 5 GHz

Hard wired connections work OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi RB23 wifi connections to a Dell and HP desktop

modem?

did your orbi and devices ever work together at all?

Message 2 of 4
Martin46
Aspirant

Apart from the recuring problems which have lasted less than 24 hours before a solution is found all the devices have been working well since I purchased the orbi in December 2020

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
vajim
Master

since you mention so many different firmware changes I suspect that's where the problem is

you may want to perform a factory reset and try to get back to a stable version then leave the firmware updates alone....do a search here....lots of problems

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7