Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RB50 Satellite Status LED activity followup questions

Orbi RB50 Satellite Status LEDs activity

Recently my Orbi RB50 satellite's status lights have been more "active" than in the past, the the base station and satellite have not changed position. Several times a day the satellite will cycle from amber to blue. Sometimes, just the blue LED comes on, and other times just the Amber. My internet speed seems consistent using the smart phone speed test.

I understand what the colors "mean" but don't know whether or not to be concerned about the higher rate of LED activity?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi RB50 Satellite Status LEDs activity

@ChuckinJapan wrote:

Recently my Orbi RB50 satellite's status lights have been more "active" than in the past, the the base station and satellite have not changed position. Several times a day the satellite will cycle from amber to blue. Sometimes, just the blue LED comes on, and other times just the Amber. My internet speed seems consistent using the smart phone speed test.

I understand what the colors "mean" but don't know whether or not to be concerned about the higher rate of LED activity?

That would indicate the satellite and router have a poor connection. I would move one or both so they are closer together and/or have fewer building materials between.  Also, make sure neither unit is near another source of radio frequency interference.   That could include Bluetooth devices, wireless speakers, etc. This probably started with the recent firmware update to 0.74

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

@ChuckinJapan wrote:

That would indicate the satellite and router have a poor connection. I would move one or both so they are closer together and/or have fewer building materials between.  Also, make sure neither unit is near another source of radio frequency interference.   That could include Bluetooth devices, wireless speakers, etc. This probably started with the recent firmware update to 0.74

Message 2 of 7

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll adjust the postion of my satellite Orbi and see if that reduced the cycling of the LEDs.

Message 3 of 7

I've moved my Orbi satellite to a new location and I no longer get the amber LED, but every so often, the blue LED comes on. Is that a function of the software update you wrote about? Is the satellite automatically checking its status?

I need to put the satellite in the same area, but out of harms way. Can I "hang" it on a plasterboard wall, even though there's no notch in the case to do so?

I could also put it on a small shelf, but is it better to put it at a distance from the wall, or is against the wall OK? 

What is the propagation pattern of the wifi radio signal? Is there an orientation for the satellite (and base station too) that allows better signal propagation?

Lastly, is higher on the wall better. Sitting the satellite on our carpeted floor seemed to degrad the wi-fi speed.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Sounds like you have improvement.  That's good to hear.

The blue light probably means the satellite is falling back to a 2.4 GHz backhaul connection.  You must still have some mild connectivity issues.  Maybe you have a lot of RF interference in the home.  Or the satellite and router are still too far apart.

I'm not sure about the radiation pattern, but I don't think it matters much.  The Orbi uses multiple antennas and beamforming, so it can change the pattern.

I would think shelf mouting would be fine. Against the wall should be OK. Higher up is usually better for WiFi.

Message 5 of 7

Thanks again for answering my followup questions. My wi-fi signal strength measures are the same, and Ookla speed test results are now almost exactly the same between the base station and satellite "zones" of my apartment. The Orbi continues to live up to its reputation.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Sounds good. My Orbi has been solid for 10 months and working great too.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7