Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB50 - Wired Backhaul

NAMetz
Tutor

Orbi RB50 - Wired Backhaul

I have wired backhaul set up on Orbi. I need to power it down and move some things around. I’m also going to install a NG GS305v3 switch that my satellite will then be wired to. My question is when I power back up do I let the Orbi satellite connect wirelessly before connecting Ethernet to switch for wired backhaul again (like initial setup) or can I just connect everything via Ethernet cables and power on?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RB50 - Wired Backhaul

It's been experienced that you can now connect the RBS via wired back haul first and power everything up and the RBS should connect. Try this first with the RBS directly connected to the RBR while in same room. If it works, then power it off and place back in remote location for final placement. 

Your switch as the following feature: "Energy-efficient technology for power
savings" This may have some impact on how the RBS works with the RBR if this switch is inbetween them. Try the switch out after first directly connecting the RBS to the RBR with out the switch in the mix. 

Message 2 of 4
Druian
Aspirant

Is there any official documentation on how to configure wired (ethernet) backhaul?

This KB article is really not that helpful (https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...). 

I've been seeing old posts about setting up satellies wireless first, wait for blue light, then plugging in ethernet to get the blue light a second time. This and more recent posts indicate that it'll work, just plugging it all it. Regardless of what I do, I cannot seem to get wired backhaul to work...

Running v2.3.5.30

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

So factory reset the RBS and setup via wireless first, near the RBR or while in the same room as the RBR get the RBS connected first? If so, then after you see the BLUE top led turn ON, plug in the RBS to the RBR with a good quality LAN cable, CAT6 is recommended. The RBS top ring led will pulsate WHITE then if it goes right, the top led should turn BLUE. Log into the RBRs web page to see the connected RBS. It may take a bit longer for the system to update, however WIRED connection should be seen here. 

Any LAN switches in between the RBR and RBS? RBS need directly path connection to RBR. Switches can be use in the mix. 

The last time I setup my RBS after updating FW to v2.5.1.8, it synced wired on first power UP. I didn't have to wirelessly connect it first. 

@Druian wrote:

Is there any official documentation on how to configure wired (ethernet) backhaul?

This KB article is really not that helpful (https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...). 

I've been seeing old posts about setting up satellies wireless first, wait for blue light, then plugging in ethernet to get the blue light a second time. This and more recent posts indicate that it'll work, just plugging it all it. Regardless of what I do, I cannot seem to get wired backhaul to work...

Running v2.3.5.30

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7