Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB50 performance

frk_mobile
Aspirant

Orbi RB50 performance

I purchased an ORBI RBK53 Router (RBR50) that comes with 2 satellites (RBR50).

I have 3 floors in my house, with router placed in basement near ISP router and each satellite is on a different floor.

I am subscribed to a fiber internet connection through my ISP with a download speed of 300Mbps and upload speed of 150Mbps.

My Fiber connection from ISP is connected to a router provided by ISP which is then connected to my Orbi Router.

Then from Orbi Router I have a connection going into a Netgear Gigabit switch (ProSafe 16 port Gigabit Switch – Model JGS516) which connects to wall sockets across my house.

Orbi Router is placed in basement and each satellite is placed on a different floor hoping to achieve maximum wifi coverage.

First Problem:

Satellites do not connect wirelessly to each other unless in very close proximity. I had to connect sattelites on different floors using an ethernet backhaul through wall sockets that are connected to my gigabit switch then to my orbi router

Second Problem:

Satellites or Router does not fully cover each floor despite area not being too big.

Third Problem (Internet Speed):

Despite Orbi Router receiving a stable download of 300Mbps and upload of 150Mpbs

Wifi connections and ethernet connections through sockets are not giving desired internet speeds. Instead I am getting in the range of 25Mpbs to 100Mpbs download speeds.

I wonder if there is something I have done setting up the whole system or whether there is a need for additional satellites?
Appreciate some advice before committing to purchasing additional satellites.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RB50 performance

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Wired backhaul is preferred if you have the satellites connected that way. Daisy Chain should be disabled if wire connected

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Seems that you have high radio interference on your front- and backhaul networks. Please start by making a wireless scan and see the used wifi radio channels in your surrounding.

You should then select your 2.4 and 5 GHz channels based on the result of this scan. What channels are you using today?

Message 3 of 6
frk_mobile
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick response.

Below my comments/answers :

What FW is currently loaded? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY FW?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  Cant remember but should not matter much as interenet speeds tested on Orbi Router are acheiving the desired speeds and stable at approx 300Mbps downlaod and 150Mbps upload.
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router Mode as  I was forced to use ISP router for the connection of Fiber Cable

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 800 sqm split on 3 floors (approx 2600 sqft) I think!!
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. One per floor straight distance does not exceed 30feet between each two devices. Keeping in mind that router is in basement then 1st satellite is on 1st floor and second satellite is on second floor. In any case they are connected through an ethernet backhaul since I assume building material is a barrier to connection.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Tried different options but currently set on Channel 6 for 2.5Ghz and channel 40 on 5Ghz
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Cant tell but I had to connect through ethernet additional apple wifi in dead zones as additional devices. But it was same problem before connecting them.
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Try enableding Beamforming Enabled and MIMO. disabled will try enabling

Daisy Chain Enabled will try disabling again, Fast Roaming Currently disabled, IPv6 disabled and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only It is set to 20/40 will try to disable. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Wired backhaul is preferred if you have the satellites connected that way. Daisy Chain should be disabled if wire connected

My Setup (Cable 200Mb/10Mb)CM1100>R7900 Series> > EX7700 (Wireless Extender)
Additional NG HW: Orbi CBK40(Gateway Mode), R7800, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111

Message 4 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

Since you have a wired house, have you considered connecting the satellites via ethernet back to the router?  This wired backhaul works superbly in my setup.  Make sure that if you connect each one back to the router that you disable daisy chain.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@frk_mobile wrote:

Thank you for your quick response.

Below my comments/answers :

What FW is currently loaded? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY FW?

FW = Firmware
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  Cant remember but should not matter much as interenet speeds tested on Orbi Router are acheiving the desired speeds and stable at approx 300Mbps downlaod and 150Mbps upload. Reason for asking it to check for a router and wifi at the modem as well. Some do have this combo unit, some don't. Helps in our troubleshooting information. 

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router Mode as  I was forced to use ISP router for the connection of Fiber Cable. What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 800 sqm split on 3 floors (approx 2600 sqft) I think!!
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. One per floor straight distance does not exceed 30feet between each two devices. Keeping in mind that router is in basement then 1st satellite is on 1st floor and second satellite is on second floor. In any case they are connected through an ethernet backhaul since I assume building material is a barrier to connection.

What is the building material made up of? Wood and dry wall or concrete? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Tried different options but currently set on Channel 6 for 2.5Ghz and channel 40 on 5Ghz
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Cant tell but I had to connect through ethernet additional apple wifi in dead zones as additional devices. But it was same problem before connecting them. Is this Apple WiFi still going or turned off? 
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Try enableding Beamforming Enabled and MIMO. disabled will try enabling

Daisy Chain Enabled will try disabling again, Fast Roaming Currently disabled, IPv6 disabled and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only It is set to 20/40 will try to disable. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7