Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB50 very slow speed

pongikong
Tutor

Orbi RB50 very slow speed

Hi Guys,
I recently bought the rb50 orbi system for my home.
i am subscribed to 1gbps fibre internet.
however, on wifi I only get 80-100 usually.
20-30gbps occasionally and rarely get a maximum of 300plus gbps.
may I know what your experience is? could it be a setup problem?
i tried call the hotline and all they could advise was for me to change the 2.4g channel which didnt help too much.
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi RB50

You wrote that your router was in the corner of the house wth brick walls.  You could move it closer to the center.  In the corner you are wasting half of the circle of coverage. Similar issue with the satellite.

You might get even better results if you could move the satellite into the center of the house, and put two sats on the other floor, one towards each end. You don't want more than you need though.

I cover a 3,000 SF 3-level home with 1 router and 1 sat, and I can get a usable signal out in the yard up to 500 feet away.  But, those results may not be typical because I have a lot of windows and no other WiFi sources nearby.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello pongikong

Have you made sure you are using the latest firmware and tried to change the wireless channels? Also in the advances wireless settings try to enable beamforming and Mumimo.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 12
pongikong
Tutor

Hello Darren,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I am really lost and disappointed with Orbi.
The helpline could not help me other than telling me to change channels.
After that the local distributor just changed a set for me and asked me to try again without a solution. They told me not to update the firmware!
In anycase, my house is a two storey brick house.
the router is in the ground floor corner. and i synced the satellite up in the hall. after that I brought the satellite upstairs and left it in the middle of the second floor. The fastest speed I got when about 5meters away from the router was about 400. and anywhere else, usually about 100-200. It is so frustrating and I dont think the Orbi is living up to its hype.
Message 3 of 12
st_shaw
Master

@pongikong wrote:
Hello Darren,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I am really lost and disappointed with Orbi.
The helpline could not help me other than telling me to change channels.
After that the local distributor just changed a set for me and asked me to try again without a solution. They told me not to update the firmware!
In anycase, my house is a two storey brick house.
the router is in the ground floor corner. and i synced the satellite up in the hall. after that I brought the satellite upstairs and left it in the middle of the second floor. The fastest speed I got when about 5meters away from the router was about 400. and anywhere else, usually about 100-200. It is so frustrating and I dont think the Orbi is living up to its hype.

A speed of 400 is very close to the maximum Orbi can do.  A speed of 100-200 away from the router is very good, and certainly fast enough to do virtually anything one needs to do with a wireless device.

You should not be disappointed or frustrated with those results.

Message 4 of 12
pongikong
Tutor

Thank you for your reply!
I was honestly not aware that 400 from router and 100/200 is about the max speed!
If that is the case, then I guess its not an issue anymore. I do agree that 100/200 is more than sufficient for my needs. Perhaps was just misled by the 800 "claimed" results. Thanks a million
Message 5 of 12
st_shaw
Master

@pongikong wrote:
Thank you for your reply!
I was honestly not aware that 400 from router and 100/200 is about the max speed!
If that is the case, then I guess its not an issue anymore. I do agree that 100/200 is more than sufficient for my needs. Perhaps was just misled by the 800 "claimed" results. Thanks a million

No problem.  I'll say basically the same thing I said in an earler post today.

Orbi syncs at a maximum of 867 Mbps on 5Ghz and 400 Mbps on 2.4GHz.  Actual throughput will be 50-60% of sync speed due to wireless overhead. That’s best case, under ideal conditions with a very capable client, and no walls between.

So, 400 is about right if you are in the same room as an Orbi unit.

If you are in the next room or on the next floor, your devices will probably switch to 2.4G and you should see 200 Mbps or less.

I measure 385-520 Mbps, with a 470 Mbs average, with my iPhone 7+ in the same room as the Orbi router.  Connected to the satellite on 5G, I measured about 100 Mbps less, or 380 Mbps average.

Message 6 of 12
pongikong
Tutor

thanks buddy. you solved my problem.
May I ask you if adding a second satellite would increase my range? (and would it cut down my speed?)
on my second level, one corner gets 80-100. and the other corner gets 30-40.
and my house is not huge. I estimate about 1500sqft on each level
Message 7 of 12
st_shaw
Master

You wrote that your router was in the corner of the house wth brick walls.  You could move it closer to the center.  In the corner you are wasting half of the circle of coverage. Similar issue with the satellite.

You might get even better results if you could move the satellite into the center of the house, and put two sats on the other floor, one towards each end. You don't want more than you need though.

I cover a 3,000 SF 3-level home with 1 router and 1 sat, and I can get a usable signal out in the yard up to 500 feet away.  But, those results may not be typical because I have a lot of windows and no other WiFi sources nearby.

Message 8 of 12
pongikong
Tutor

thanks Buddy fully appreciate
Message 9 of 12
st_shaw
Master

No problem. Let us know how things work out.

Message 10 of 12
pongikong
Tutor

unlikely to be able to shift my main unit anywhere nearer the center of the house as I am restricted by my fibre in point and i got no power points suitable. so i can only accept the speeds I am having and be contented. Thank you so very much
Message 11 of 12
st_shaw
Master

You can use a long Ethernet cable to put the Orbi router farther from the fiber entry point.

If you cannot move the router, you could try the new daisy-chain feature, which allows a second satellite to connect to the router through another satellite.  Then you could leave the router where it is, put one sat in the middle, and put a second near the farther end.  I've never tried this so I don't know how it impacts speed.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7