Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 13 - Bridge or AP Mode

Mg5
Tutor
Tutor

Orbi RBK 13 - Bridge or AP Mode

I have an AT&T router/modem.  According to AT&T, to install the Netgear Orbi router, I have to turn off the WiFi in bridge mode in the AT&T gateway and install the Orbi in AP mode. 

The issue is that in AP mode, one of the disabled features is VPN which I use for work.  Is there a work around to this issue?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK 13 - Bridge or AP Mode

@Mg5 wrote:

I have an AT&T router/modem.  According to AT&T, to install the Netgear Orbi router, I have to turn off the WiFi in bridge mode in the AT&T gateway and install the Orbi in AP mode. 

The issue is that in AP mode, one of the disabled features is VPN which I use for work.  Is there a work around to this issue?

The AT&T tech probably meant well, but gave incorrect advice.

• You have purchased a whole-house WiFi solution, so yes, the AT&T WiFi should be disabled.
  • The AT&T router/modem should be placed in Bridge mode (if that is possible).
  • With the AT&T in bridge mode, the Orbi MUST be put into router mode, or it won't work at all.

Orbi AP mode does not support the OpenVPN feature which allows devices to accesss the Orbi LAN from the internet. This is not what you would be using for work.  Your work VPN should work just fine.

Message 2 of 5
Mg5
Tutor
Tutor

CrimpOn,  thank you very much for your advice.  Knowing that I can continue to access VPN obviously is important.  I can set up the AT&T gateway in bridge mode so hopefully all goes well in the setup of the Orbi mesh system.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to check with the ISP to see if there modem is bridgable. Most ATT modems are not. 

If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode thus keeping the VPN features you need. 

Message 4 of 5
Mg5
Tutor
Tutor

As far as I can tell, I can disable it in User Network/Wifi Configuration which appears under the LAN tab.  If not, your instructions are great as a workaround.  thanks....

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7