Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 50 AC3000 Access rules

DJJW
Guide

Orbi RBK 50 AC3000 Access rules

Just purchased Orbi due to better controls compared to other mesh routers.  Trying to create some access rules for individual devices but can't find.  There must be some, even my old Virgin Hub 3 had half decent access controls.  Want to limit my kids access to certain times but I certainly don't want to pay a subscription for additional software.  This is pretty standard stuff for a router, please tell me I have just missed them?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi RBK 50 AC3000 Access rules

Without signing up to anything, you can do filtering and blocking on a schedule through Advanced>Security. One thing you will have to do is give fixed IP's to the devices you want to filter (Advanced>Setup>Lan>IP reservation>add). Give then consecutive IP addresses because later you will want to filter a range. Then Advanced>Security>Schedule and set up a schedule. Then go to Block services toggle by schedule, then click "add" and choose the service type you want to block and then add the devices you want to block. Make sure you "Apply" on each page in the above after done on that page.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

1. The Circle with Disney is great but the free subscription does not give you timed access control. You can restrict some sites and services for some users. You have to purchase a full subcscription to get more flexible features.
  2. Another option which is free and is also quite good and gives you some time control is the OpenDNS (standard parental control option). Please see details of that here: https://kb.netgear.com/25687/How-do-I-configure-Live-Parental-Controls-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 7
DJJW
Guide

I fear you are telling me there are no basic access controls on the Orbi.  The OpenDns is on or off for all, you can create bypass accounts and install software on all devices but this is not what I want to do.  I just want to set up some simple access rules per mac address.  So disappointed, I thought the Orbi was a proper Netgear Router!  I can't remember having a router that didn't have these basic settings; maybe its a Netgear thing but I'm sure I had a one before my time with Trendnet and TP-Link.

Message 3 of 7
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Without signing up to anything, you can do filtering and blocking on a schedule through Advanced>Security. One thing you will have to do is give fixed IP's to the devices you want to filter (Advanced>Setup>Lan>IP reservation>add). Give then consecutive IP addresses because later you will want to filter a range. Then Advanced>Security>Schedule and set up a schedule. Then go to Block services toggle by schedule, then click "add" and choose the service type you want to block and then add the devices you want to block. Make sure you "Apply" on each page in the above after done on that page.

Message 4 of 7
DJJW
Guide

Thanks that sounds good, I will give it a go.
Message 5 of 7
Daddyfinger
Aspirant

Would have to access this on a computer? Or could I access these features on the orbi app on my phone?
Message 6 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Daddyfinger wrote:
Would have to access this on a computer? Or could I access these features on the orbi app on my phone?

Yes, the changes above can only be done in the web GUI.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7