Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK 50 AC3000

Koceto
Aspirant

Orbi RBK 50 AC3000

Hello All.
Could somebody tell me if Orbi RBK 50 AC3000 is automatically switching devices connected at 2.4GHZ network to 5GHZ. I have designated devices which are working only at 2.4GHz and this kind of switching will keep disconnecting them from the network. I know that the router has only 1 SSID and I cant separate both bands which has worried me little.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Orbi uses "Band Steering" to try to move capable devices from the 2.4 to the 5 GHz bands. When devices attach to Orbi devices send their capabilities to Orbi so Orbi will know if those devices can or can't be moved between the bands.

If your 2.4 GHz devices are being disconnected then this might be because of other reasons:

- What type of devices are experiencing disconnections?

- Do you notice that devices are being disconnected when roaming between the Orbi nodes?

- What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

As ekhalil pointed out, a device that can only communicate at 2.4G will tell that to the Orbi.  the Orbi will never "see a signal" from that device on 5G, and thus will never attempt to "steer" the device to 5G.  The Orbi cannot detect that the device "would be better on 5G", so the question is moot.  It can't happen.

From the question, is it difficult to ascertain whether (a) there are devices which are mysteriously dropping their WiFi connection and you are looking for the cause, or (b) you are about to install a new device that operates only on 2.4G and you are concerned about the vendor admonition, "MUST be connected to 2.4G WiFi".

Specifics of the situation is key.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Conditions of WiFi also include environment and other neghboring WiFi stations. Congestion conditions will be more problematic when having lots of other wifi neighbors near by like in condo or apartment dewellings. 

Configuring manual channels vs auto can help this. 

Also lowering the power output levels from the Orbi can help this aswell.

@Koceto wrote:
Hello All.
Could somebody tell me if Orbi RBK 50 AC3000 is automatically switching devices connected at 2.4GHZ network to 5GHZ. I have designated devices which are working only at 2.4GHz and this kind of switching will keep disconnecting them from the network. I know that the router has only 1 SSID and I cant separate both bands which has worried me little.

Message 4 of 22
Koceto
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer CrimpOn. You are correct. I am planning to get Orbi and I was worried about my Electrical Heaters Adax which are only working on 2.4 GHz. So I can go ahead and take Orbi system and know that Orbi will never try to switch them on 5 GHz. Just precautions. Also do you know how much devices I can connect at once on this system because I am planning to build smart home and to use Orbi RBK 50 AC3000 as a Mesh system. If this model is not good for this job which are you going to recommend?
Message 5 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Koceto wrote:
......... Also do you know how much devices I can connect at once on this system because I am planning to build smart home and to use Orbi RBK 50 AC3000 as a Mesh system. If this model is not good for this job which are you going to recommend?

Please check this out about number of connections:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-many-device-connection-at-one-time-on-orbi-RBK53-plus-2/m-...

Message 6 of 22
Koceto
Aspirant

Ekhalil....thanks a lot for the link. It is superb.
Message 7 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Koceto wrote:
Ekhalil....thanks a lot for the link. It is superb.

Good luck! 🙂

Message 8 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

The discussion would be incomplete without mentioning that many people run into difficulty when connecting a "smart device" (such as the ADAX Neo) to WiFi.  A quick look at the ADAX app for Android reveals a pretty dismal "2.2 rating", with complaints about both the initial setup and how the app works to control the heater.  One consistent theme is that people find the connection process works better for them using an Apple product than Android, although some mention using an Android tablet that worked.  Once the device is connected, they appear to be able to control it from their Android phone, although that's when the complaints about how the app works begin.

This is a well-known issue with "smart things."  When something has a method of input, such as a keyboard, keypad, touch screen, or even camera, the user can specify the WiFi name and password and put it directly into the device.  When the device has no method of input, manufacturers have come up with a variety of schemes to get that information into the device.  The most common method appears to be having the device create a simple WiFi host that their smartphone app can connect to and relay the home WiFi name and password.  (Some devices use bluetooth or even both bluetooth and WiFi.)  The device then disconnects from the smartphone and connects to the home WiFi.  Alas, what should be a routine programming task has proved too much for some engineers.  Either their apps cannot find that temporary WiFi, or they mistakenly pass invalid credentials.  Whatever the case, some people experience no problems at all, and some people report tremendous frustration.  And they always blame the WiFi vendor, never the product. ADAX build heaters, not computer equipment.  It looks like whoever wrote their app for them did not fully understand the complexity of the problem.

So, are you Apple or Android?  I would read the app reviews and probably install only one heater before purchasing more.

When the product app is faulty, it has problems with any mesh system (Google, Velop, Orbi, etc.).  There are techniques that can be used to temporarily shut down or rename the 5G WiFi until after the device is connected (at least on Orbi, we don't use the other mesh networks).

Good Luck, and please report back with your success (or frustration).

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

Great post @CrimpOn  +1

Message 10 of 22
Koceto
Aspirant

Hello CrimpOn and thanks a lot for the detailed answer. 

I already have those ADAX Heaters and I am just about to buy Orbi Home Mesh System and I was looking for RBK 50 AC3000 ( 1 Router and 1 Satellite). Just wanted to be sure that if I experience any problem with the connection  I can do something with the Orbi System. I have seen that there is an option for giving separate names on Both Bands. Do you think that this  Orbi Configuration  RBK 50 AC3000 ( 1 Router and 1 Satellite) is going to be good to handle my connected devices which will be numerous lighting Switches – maybe 30 pcs, Heaters,  2PC, 3 Phones, 3 Security Cameras and 2 or 3 TV’s.

Or I need to choose different Orbi model or configuration?

Message 11 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

I have at least twice that many on my RRR50 + 3 satellites.... works flawlessly.

Message 12 of 22
Koceto
Aspirant

Sorry Chuck_M,  I am still new.

This RRR which model it is......RBK50... Can you please give me exact specification so I might go for the same configuration but with only 1 Satellite. I presume your house is much bigger.  🙂 

I really want to build reliable home mesh network. 

Message 13 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Once everything is connected, I am pretty confident that the Orbi RBK50 can provide excellent coverage and performance. It is the "top of the line" Orbi.  (The forum has a thread about the "Orbi Coming Soon!", but I do not believe it is shipping yet.)  However, I fear there is confusion about the way Orbi works.  People on this forum have pointed out ways to work around limitations in the manufacturer's smartphone app, but those are temporary fixes, such as reducing the power of the 5G radio to 1% so that the smartphone simply cannot connect to it.  Users with iPhone/iPad seem to have an easier time with this particular product than Android users.  And, the particular brand of Android phone seems to matter.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? This will ba a factor to consider when setting up a Orbi system. You may need more than just 1 satellite. 
Distance between the router and satellite(s) is key as well. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 15 of 22
Koceto
Aspirant

Hi,

My flat is around 1800sq ft and I have 4 rooms all in 1 line. So I am planning the router to be in the room at the edge and then the satellite in the middle room . Distance in between will not be more than 15-20 feet. Walls are also regular bricks and not anything special. That's why I think that 1 Router RBR 50 and one satellite will do the job.
Message 16 of 22
Koceto
Aspirant

Hi,
My flat is around 1800sq feet and I have 4 rooms in total aligned some how in a line. I am planning to place the RBR 50 in one of the rooms at the end and then the satellite in the middle room no more than 15-20 feet away. That's why I think that this configuration will work. Walls are just regular bricks and nothing special.
Message 17 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

The RBK50 kit... which includes 1 RBR50 router and 1 RBS50 satellite will work perfectly for your scenario.  It is precisely the same I originally installed.

I have since added two additional satellites to reach some distant parts of the property.

Two of my RBS50's are hardwired via ethernet cable back to the RBR50.   The third satellite uses wireless backhaul.

I do have a netgear switch in there somewhere to give me additional wired devices.

I have at any moment well over 50 devices active.

This includes

A very large sonos constellation -- including

.Play 1s (about 10)

.Play 3s (4)

.Play Bar

.Sonos Boost

.Sonos Amp

Nest doorbell

Nest smoke detector

Nest thermostat

Hue lights

About 7 Samsung TVs

4 x computers

1 x Pentair Pool controller

Roomba

1 WD Mycloud Mirror NAS

Bluerays (multiple)

Petcube

Samsung security system w/16 cameras

Alarm system

Rachio irrigation system

Chamberlain garage door openers

Ipads (my wife!)

Iphone (my wife!)

Androids

Alexa Show

Alexa Dots (5 or more)

Alexa Echos 

Works like a champ at max speed.

Message 18 of 22
Koceto
Aspirant

Wow ....wow .....wow......Chuck_M....you blow my mind. So many things you have connected. I will probably have 1/3 of that. I am definitely going for this configuration.
You said that you have Alexa! Can you please tell me when you want Alexa to complete some Task do you Say " Alexa tell Orbi .....and then the command " or you just say "Alexa ......and directly you say the comand" for example :
Alexa tell Orbi to switch off bedroom lights.
Or
Alexa switch off bedroom lights.
Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending on brick and thickness, this will impact the 5Ghz frequency. So placement as you say 15-20 feet could work. You'll have to play with this to see how the status looks for the connection at the satellite, if it's good or bad. 1800sq ft should be able to be covered by the base and 1 satellite. Just hope the brick walls wont impede too much on the system. 

@Koceto wrote:
Hi,
My flat is around 1800sq feet and I have 4 rooms in total aligned some how in a line. I am planning to place the RBR 50 in one of the rooms at the end and then the satellite in the middle room no more than 15-20 feet away. That's why I think that this configuration will work. Walls are just regular bricks and nothing special.

Message 20 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

"Alexa turn off all lights"

"Alexa turn off the bedroom lights"

"Alexa make the den blue"

"Alexa, set the dining room to 50%"

"Alexa, lock the doors"

"Alexa, show me the front door" 

"Alexa, play country music in the gazebo"

"Alexa, stop the music"

Orbi doesnt play in any Alexa commands 

Msg me off line if you want further tips on setting up alexa to maximize performance and usability.

Message 21 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

"Alexa turn off all lights"

"Alexa turn off the bedroom lights"

"Alexa make the den blue"

"Alexa, set the dining room to 50%"

"Alexa, lock the doors"

"Alexa, show me the front door" 

"Alexa, play country music in the gazebo"