Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 50 + RBW30

xlerate
Guide

Orbi RBK 50 + RBW30

RBK50 (Router + Satellite) with 2 x RBW30 satellites.

I have spent more than 4 hours in 3 days on phone with support to try and resolve issues of the following:

• RBK50 router reboots randomly.
  • Devices nearest to Satellites use Router at further distance.
  • AP isolation issue related to Google Home devices makes them unavailable if you are connected to a different satellite than that device.
  • More frequent reboots than without Satellites. My RBK50 without RBW30 with reboot at least twice a day for no reason but more with Satellites.

I am not sure what to make of this. Support goes through the playbook of 'Reboot please'. 'Re-sync please'. 'Update firmware', 'downgrade firmware'. 'Disconnect satellite', 'reconnect'. 'Hold on let me check with my team'. This can't be poor quality control can it? There seem to be numerous reports of similar issues. I have spent close to $600 on my Orbi system and all we have is outsourced consumer support and these user forums which Netgear support seems largely absent from.

Is there any solution to the rebooting issue or a way to pinpoint the cause?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK 50 + RBW30

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? Built in router by chance or stand alone.

How close is the Orbi router to other electronic devices?

Have you tried disbling the following on the Orbi router:

Beamforming, MIMO and Daisy chain options.

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If now, how many and what channels are they using?

@xleratewrote:

I have spent more than 4 hours in 3 days on phone with support to try and resolve issues of the following:

• AP isolation issue related to Google Home devices makes them unavailable if you are connected to a different satellite than that device.
  • More frequent reboots than without Satellites. My RBK50 without RBW30 with reboot at least twice a day for no reason but more with Satellites.

I am not sure what to make of this. Support goes through the playbook of 'Reboot please'. 'Re-sync please'. 'Update firmware', 'downgrade firmware'. 'Disconnect satellite', 'reconnect'. 'Hold on let me check with my team'. This can't be poor quality control can it? There seem to be numerous reports of similar issues. I have spent close to $600 on my Orbi system and all we have is outsourced consumer support and these user forums which Netgear support seems largely absent from.

Message 2 of 3
Ulairi
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBK 50 + RBW30

@xlerate wrote:

SAfter two seperate units giving grief, I gave up with the RBW30 and got another RBS50 sat.  I have to say that it was with a measure of trepidation - even more money into the Orbi pit and I had to buy it from overseas because the RBS50 is not available in New Zealand. 

I'm happy to say that getting rid of the RBW30 was the best thing I've done in a long time.  After some initial trouble getting the RBS50 add-on satellite to sync (I had to manually load firmware via the sat's admin pages) once it connected the whole system has been rock solid and I'm getting blazing transfer speeds via WiFi backhaul.   

My conclusion is that the RBW30 is not a good match for the RBK50 kit / RBR50 router, notwithstanding claims in Netgear's literature to the contrary.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7