Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK 50 Wifi too slow

sketch8
Tutor

Orbi RBK 50 Wifi too slow

I have 1gb internet speed. I changed my old rounter with RBK50. I noticed that the speed of wifi is too slow. I am getting around 40mbps download and 15mbps on upload. I tried to speed test on my desktop using wired on orbi and I am getting 320mbps download and 250mbps upload. Hope someone can help me regarding this issue 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

@sketch8 wrote:

I have 1gb internet speed. I changed my old rounter with RBK50. I noticed that the speed of wifi is too slow. I am getting around 40mbps download and 15mbps on upload. I tried to speed test on my desktop using wired on orbi and I am getting 320mbps download and 250mbps upload. Hope someone can help me regarding this issue 

I'm a bit lost in this. What speeds do you get where?

You will never get wifi speeds of 1 Gbps.

What firmware version do you have on the device? A number is more useful than "the latest".

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

Message 2 of 14
sketch8
Tutor

I am getting 320mbps on wired computer. When I tried to connect through WiFi I am getting 40mbps download. I have 1gb internet speed

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What devices are you using to wireless speed test? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@sketch8 wrote:

I am getting 320mbps on wired computer. When I tried to connect through WiFi I am getting 40mbps download. I have 1gb internet speed

Message 4 of 14
sketch8
Tutor

1. What Firmware is currently loaded? Router Firmware Version
V2.3.1.60

2. What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? I am not sure what is this. I am from Japan 

3. Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router Mode

4. What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? The distance of Router and satellite is just 6-7 meters

5. What channels are you using? 2.4ghz - 11  5ghz -44 

6. Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? I have on my isp modem i only detect my own wifi at home asside from Orbi

7. What devices are you using to wireless speed test? I am using Iphone with speedtest app and mac using speedtest.net wbsite

8. Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. 

Enable Beamforming

Enable mimo

enable Fast Roaming

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings

9. I tried to disable the daisy chain but i am getting issue with internet connection. it wont connect sometimes it would takes sometimes

10. Fast Roaming - enable or disable same speed too slow

11. IPv6 - disable

12. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only - I dont have this option on only Enable or disable  20/40 MHz Coexistence Currently disable

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you find out what the Manufacture and model# of the ISP modem that the Orbi is connected too? Or is there just a wall LAN port connect point? 

6-7Meters is too close between the RBR and RBS, 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try turning OFF the RBS and test only with the RBR online. 

You might do a factory reset and setup the RBR from scratch with a wired PC and web browser and make those changes as suggested. Speed test wired PC with speedtest.net first. Then wireless. 

Message 6 of 14
sketch8
Tutor

The modem model number is pr-500mi. orbi connected via LAN 1 using cat 6 cord.

When i tried to go beyond 7meters im getting Backhaul Status - POOR, even now. I have poor status

----------------------

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, building materials concrete and metal or wood and such? 

Set the RBS back to where you had good status. 

Do you know if the ISP Modem has a built in router and wifi by chance? Searching brings up asian data for this modem and possible built in router...hard to tell. 

Message 8 of 14
sketch8
Tutor

Building material; wood

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

OK should be ok with building materials. 

I would factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch and this time leave off the RBS. 

Wire speed test first then speed test wireless. You might connect a wired PC to the modem to check speeds there. 

Let us know if you can find out if the modem has a built in router already...

Message 10 of 14

Let us know if you can find out if the modem has a built in router already...

One way to help narrow this down is to look for separate LAN ports on the back. Also if it does wifi.

I tried to find the thing but ended up with some not very clear pictures.

Message 11 of 14
sketch8
Tutor

1. When i setup again from scratch a pop up screen says 

- Existing Router or Gateway Detected

Note: We detected an existing router or gateway on your network. You can still connect your Orbi router to your network and it will be set in router mode.

So i tried to connect my wired pc directly to the ISP modem. I can open youtube, I can play however, I can only open selected sites. Cannot open speedtest.net too. I connect ORBI again to my ISP modem.

i just follow the wizard to setup. I also follow your instruction not to connect the station and when I run a test on my wired PC, I got 300mbps speed. I tried to connect my phone to Orbi SSID and do a speed test. I got 200mpbs and the speed is really amazing.

After 30minutes of testing the speed. I decieded to connect the station. 

At first, the station was 1 meter distance from router. I noticed that the Wifi speed become slower. From 200, to 180, to 140, to 118. 

So I decided to bring the station far from router about 7-8 meters and do the speedtest. I got 50, 40 , 30mbps.

Based on my observation, when the station is connected, speed become slower. 

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

That means the Orbi has detected that your ISP modem has a built in router already:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 13 of 14

@sketch8 wrote:

1. When i setup again from scratch a pop up screen says 

- Existing Router or Gateway Detected

Note: We detected an existing router or gateway on your network. You can still connect your Orbi router to your network and it will be set in router mode.

This is why we ask about the modem you have.

That prompt tells us that your Orbi is being smart and detected that your modem (probably) is also doing router stuff.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1. It can also explain the symptoms you see.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks that can't tall to each other for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate, but sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A lot of people use Orbi routers in AP mode. I do.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7