Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK 53: 2 satellites and KASA/Alexa smart devices not working

bdpwsf
Initiate

Orbi RBK 53: 2 satellites and KASA/Alexa smart devices not working

Hi, I have recently installed an Orbi system (RBK53) and am having issues with smart home devices (KASA from TPLink)  when using 2 satellites. First set up is router on ground floor, Sat 1 on main level (not suing Sat 2)--everything works fine, KASA smart plugs etc recognize and work with Alexa controls. WiFi signal to 3rd floor is acceptable but not great.

When I install a 2nd satellite in 3rd floor office, the KASA smart plugs no longer operate properly. I often get an error that the device is not working, plugged in or connecting (via Alexa) then it will connect, same thing on disconnect. If I remove the 2nd satellite, all is fine. Have tried daisy chain and star topology-same results. It appears the issue is with the addition of the 2nd satellite. 

Has anyone had similar issues or idea for resolution?

Thanks

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite3? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain. Save settings and reboot the router and satellites.

Message 2 of 6
bdpwsf
Initiate

Thanks--I am running 2.1.4.16 firmware. The distance between router and the 2nd satellite is around 30 feet. 2.4Ghz has been set to Auto (will try 1,6, or 11). Daisy Chain is off.

Could the issue be that I don't really need a 2nd satellite and having it is causing interference or bouncing between the router, sat1 and sat2 (excuse the non-tech description) also does fast roaming make any difference (it is off)?

I will try your suggestions later this afternoon.  Thanks....

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? SqFt?

Possible that you only need the base router and just 1 satellite...I would try this. Placement of the 1 satellite will be key.

You can try placement out to about 40 feet and see if you get good signal for the satellite as this distance.

Message 4 of 6
Zerauskire
Tutor

I’m having the same issue. Was this ever resolved? I was using the Linksys Velops and switched to the Orbi. The Velops had no issues with the Kasa devices. Now I’m thinking of switching back to the Velops because I’m constantly getting errors from Alexa saying that the Kasa devices aren’t connected. Sometimes I will look in the Kasa app and see the device grayed out as well.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@Zerauskire wrote:
I’m having the same issue. Was this ever resolved? I was using the Linksys Velops and switched to the Orbi. The Velops had no issues with the Kasa devices. Now I’m thinking of switching back to the Velops because I’m constantly getting errors from Alexa saying that the Kasa devices aren’t connected. Sometimes I will look in the Kasa app and see the device grayed out as well.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7