Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK-53 Satellite not connecting to devices

TFORREST
Tutor

Orbi RBK-53 Satellite not connecting to devices

1 of 2 Orbi satellites does not connect with devices.  Here is the status:

- Subject satellite has been reset and indicates a solid blue light. 

- When I access Orbilogin.com and go to the Accessed Devices page, 2 of 2 Connected Satellites indicate "Good" Backhaul status. 

- Distance from Orbi router to subject satellite is approximately 30 feet through 1 wall. 

- Devices adjacent to subject satellite are able to connect to the router 30 feet away, but do not connect to the satellite 2 feet away. 

- For comparison, the other satellite indicates nearby devices are connected to it.

This has been the status for a few months, but I commenced troubleshooting after realizing the subject satellite is not connecting to newly installed devices less than 5 feet away.

Because the subject satellite has a "Good" connection with the Router, what steps can I take to get it to communicate with devices?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
TFORREST
Tutor

Sorry, forgot to mention that the Router Firmware Version is V2.2.1.210.

Message 2 of 12
ekhalil
Master

• Please make a wifi scan while your are in the vicinity of the satellite in question:
    • See that the satellite is broadcasting 2.4 and 5 GHz band networks.
    • Please also the relative power received from those networks compared to that received from the other satellites.
    • Are there other networks using the same channels as the ones broadcasted by the satellite and note the relative power of those.
  • What type of devices are those that prefer to connect to the remote satellite over the close one? Please also note to which band do the devices connect to in the remote satellite.
  • Is there an overlap of the radio range between the satellites in your setup? Overlap between the satellites facilitate roaming between them.
  • When you switch of the device and switch it on when you'r on the vicinity of the "bad" satellite, will it also connect to the remote satellite? There are some devices that always stick to the satellite that they connect to the first time.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@TFORREST wrote:

1 of 2 Orbi satellites does not connect with devices.  Here is the status:

- Subject satellite has been reset and indicates a solid blue light. 

- When I access Orbilogin.com and go to the Accessed Devices page, 2 of 2 Connected Satellites indicate "Good" Backhaul status. 

- Distance from Orbi router to subject satellite is approximately 30 feet through 1 wall. 

- Devices adjacent to subject satellite are able to connect to the router 30 feet away, but do not connect to the satellite 2 feet away. 

- For comparison, the other satellite indicates nearby devices are connected to it.

This has been the status for a few months, but I commenced troubleshooting after realizing the subject satellite is not connecting to newly installed devices less than 5 feet away.

Because the subject satellite has a "Good" connection with the Router, what steps can I take to get it to communicate with devices?

Message 4 of 12
TFORREST
Tutor

Thank you ekhalil. Below are answers to the items you addressed:
In the Orbilogin.com Attached Devices page, the subject satellite indicates connection type of 5G. However, how can I tell what bands the satellite is broadcasting if my devices are detecting the Orbi home network name, not a specific Orbi device? That is, my devices don't indicate which part of the Orbi network it is connected to. In fact, the only way I know what device is connected to which part of the Orbi network is by reviewing the Attached Devices page on Orbilogin.com.
Devices that prefer to use the router 30 feet away rather than the subject satellite 5 feet away include: Wii (2.4G), Toshiba tablet (2.4G), and an older Samsung phone (5G).
When I turn on those devices near the subject satellite, they connect to the router. However, why would a device "stick" to the satellite that it connects the first time when the connection is supposed to transfer seamlessly between the router and the satellites as I walk from one end of the home to the other?
During my troubleshooting, I determined that there are a couple devices that are able to connect to the subject satellite: a new Samsung TV (5G) and an Apple iPad (5G). As a result, I determined that the devices that prefer to connect to the far-away router are older (although the iPad is old.)
My Orbi network has the strongest signal strength (power) of all nearby networks (I live in a condo/apartment building.)
Regarding the radio range there should be overlap because of the short distance between the router and satellites, and the few walls in between.

Message 5 of 12
TFORREST
Tutor

Thank you FURRYe38. Below are answers to your items you addressed:
The ISP modem is an Arris; it was purchased from Cox, my internet provider and is a dual-band modem.
Home sqft is 2400 and is a single level condo with a mostly open floor plan.
Distance between the router and one satellite is approximately 20 ft through a couple hallway turns and one wall.
Distance between the router and the subject satellite is 30 feet through only one drywall.
2.4 channel is currently set to Auto.
Many wifi neighbors are near by...I live in a multi-story condo complex. My Orbi network has the strongest signal.
I am using WPA2-PSK only.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try this, turn OFF one the satellite thats closest to the router. 20 feet to too close between the base router and satellite. For our size of home, you really only need 1 satellite as the router can cover up to 1100sq ft starting. 

SInce you have other wifi neighbors near by, you maybe in a congested wifi condition as well. You may want to set the power on the Orbi router from 100% to 75% and test this as well. 

What channels are the nieghbors using? I presume 1, 6 and 11 are being used? 

@TFORREST wrote:

The ISP modem is an Arris; it was purchased from Cox, my internet provider and is a dual-band modem.
Distance between the router and one satellite is approximately 20 ft through a couple hallway turns and one wall.
Distance between the router and the subject satellite is 30 feet through only one drywall.
Many wifi neighbors are near by...I live in a multi-story condo complex. My Orbi network has the strongest signal.

Message 7 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@TFORREST wrote:

Thank you ekhalil. Below are answers to the items you addressed:
In the Orbilogin.com Attached Devices page, the subject satellite indicates connection type of 5G. However, how can I tell what bands the satellite is broadcasting if my devices are detecting the Orbi home network name, not a specific Orbi device? That is, my devices don't indicate which part of the Orbi network it is connected to. In fact, the only way I know what device is connected to which part of the Orbi network is by reviewing the Attached Devices page on Orbilogin.com.

Do you have any wifi scanning SW? If you have a Macbook it has a built in wifi scanning. The wifi scanner shows you all broadcasted networks and their relative power. This wifi scan give you an idea about the radio condition in your home.

@TFORREST wrote:

Devices that prefer to use the router 30 feet away rather than the subject satellite 5 feet away include: Wii (2.4G), Toshiba tablet (2.4G), and an older Samsung phone (5G).
When I turn on those devices near the subject satellite, they connect to the router. .......

This shows that the router is too close to the satellite, you might need to increase the distance between those base stations

@TFORREST wrote:

........... However, why would a device "stick" to the satellite that it connects the first time when the connection is supposed to transfer seamlessly between the router and the satellites as I walk from one end of the home to the other?

This is a device decision, different devices behave differently according to their design, those devices are called "Sticky Devices". 🙂

@TFORREST wrote:

During my troubleshooting, I determined that there are a couple devices that are able to connect to the subject satellite: a new Samsung TV (5G) and an Apple iPad (5G). As a result, I determined that the devices that prefer to connect to the far-away router are older (although the iPad is old.)

Good conclusion. Yes, newer devices has better wifi Sw and support new roaming enhancement standards 802.11k, 802.11v and 802.11r.

@TFORREST wrote:

My Orbi network has the strongest signal strength (power) of all nearby networks (I live in a condo/apartment building.)
Regarding the radio range there should be overlap because of the short distance between the router and satellites, and the few walls in between.

If the distance is too short between your base stations then don't expect a good distribution of devices between the base stations. You will also notice that devices will keep moving between the base stations which is not good for the orverall performance of the system. Please either get the base stations further from each other or reduce the transmittion power for the base stations.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any of the suggestions help...

@TFORREST wrote:

Message 9 of 12
TFORREST
Tutor

Thanks...the two recommendations I received included lowering the power level from 100% to 75%.  I performed that step and want to see how things work before taking further steps.

Message 10 of 12
TFORREST
Tutor

Thanks...the two recommendations I received included lowering the power level from 100% to 75%.  I performed that step and want to see how things work before taking further steps.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good, keep us posted on how it goes. 

Again, the distance between base and satellites will be important. 

@TFORREST wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7