Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK12 - Backhaul status of poor

SethOx
Guide

Orbi RBK12 - Backhaul status of poor

Hi, our satellite is periodically dropping the connection with the router (or at least it seems that's what's happening, because the internet connection will be dropped for any device that's connected to the satellite). I logged into the router admin page and the backhaul status for the satellite is poor.

I have found this thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-Status-of-Poor/m-p/1748436#M61295 , and I have tried some of the recommendations but have some questions. The recommendations seem to be:

1. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
2. Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM.

3. Try disabling Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6

4. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

For recommendation 1 I have tried all of those channels for 2.4 GHz. Immediately after I change the channel, the backhaul status changes to Good, but then to Config Sync and back to Poor.  The selection dropdown for 5Ghz is greyed out, so I can't change the channel for 5Ghz, is there any way I can fix this?

I tried recommendation 2 (MIMO was already on, I enabled Beamforming, but I couldn't find WMM), but this had the same result as changing the 2.4 GHz channel (i.e. changed to Good, but then to Config Sync and then Poor).

For 3, Fast Roaming and IPv6 already seem to be disabled. When I disabled Daisy Chain, the satellite disconnected and wouldn't reconnect (I tried rebooting the router and satellite). 

For 4, I can only see an option "Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence", and the box for that was ticked. If I untick it, it has the same effect as the other changes (Good to Config Sync to Poor).

Can you please suggest what else I can try?

Thanks,

Seth

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@SethOx wrote:
Hi, thanks for your reply. Our house is about 1200 square feet (over two floors), and the satellite is about 35 feet away from the router as best as I can tell (the router is upstairs at the front of the house and on one side of the house, and the satellite is downstairs near the back at the other side). The walls are mostly plasterboard (we’re in the UK) with some brick section. I think the floors/ ceilings are boards over joists, with plasterboard on the ceilings.

I note that when the satellite is connected the internet speed is good. Also, we previously had a WiFi extender downstairs and whilst the internet speed was slow, it never dropped the connection.

Thanks,

Seth

Plasterboard as in sheetrock or as in plaster and lathe construction? 

Plaster and lathe as well as brick are literally 2 of the top materials that can block wifi. It'd easily explain the poor backhaul connection

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

How big is your home? 

What are the interior walls/floors/ceilings made of? Certain materials block wifi very well. This includes plaster lathe, adobe, brick, concrete, metal (including hvac), foil lined insulation, 

how far apart is the router from the satellite?

Message 2 of 5
SethOx
Guide

Hi, thanks for your reply. Our house is about 1200 square feet (over two floors), and the satellite is about 35 feet away from the router as best as I can tell (the router is upstairs at the front of the house and on one side of the house, and the satellite is downstairs near the back at the other side). The walls are mostly plasterboard (we’re in the UK) with some brick section. I think the floors/ ceilings are boards over joists, with plasterboard on the ceilings.

I note that when the satellite is connected the internet speed is good. Also, we previously had a WiFi extender downstairs and whilst the internet speed was slow, it never dropped the connection.

Thanks,

Seth
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@SethOx wrote:

Thanks,

Seth

Plasterboard as in sheetrock or as in plaster and lathe construction? 

Plaster and lathe as well as brick are literally 2 of the top materials that can block wifi. It'd easily explain the poor backhaul connection

Message 4 of 5
SethOx
Guide

Hi, I think I may have solved the problem by moving the satellite one room closer to the router - the backhaul status is still Poor, but the connection hasn't dropped since I moved the satellite. So hopefully it won't happen again! Thanks for your help. (It's plasterboard as in sheetrock, to answer your question)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7