Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK13 Voltage Support

2squared
Aspirant

Orbi RBK13 Voltage Support

I'm planning to buy Orbi RBK13 in USA and use it in India. Would it work without any issues?

Also, the adapter reads 100-120v. But the voltage in India is 220v. I've read multiple posts saying that the label is incorrect and orbi adapters does indeed support 100-240v. Is that true?
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK13 Voltage Support

In addition to the voltage issue, Netgear routers sold in the US will have a region code of "NA" (for North America).  I have a suspicion that these units do not allow the user to change the region code, whereas units sold overseas are more likely to.  WiFi radio frequencies differ by county.  Region code is what determines which frequencies the Orbi will use.

Is the cost savings from purchasing in the US (as compared from Amazon in India) great enough to take the risk of not being able to use it there?

Message 2 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello 2squared,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

The Orbi RBK13 devices sold in the United States are locked by region. 

The Orbi RBK13 power output support depends on the region. Please see below for region specifications:

North America: 120V, 60 Hz, input

UK, Australia: 240V, 50 Hz, input 

Europe: 230V, 50 Hz, input

For more information on voltage for the RBK13 please navigate to the link below (Page 138):

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK12/RBK12_13_14_UM_EN.pdf

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 9
2squared
Aspirant

@CrimpOn  I paid around $70 for a 3-pack, and its almost double in India. If the region cannot be changed, does it mean it will be unusable?

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@2squared wrote:

If the region cannot be changed, does it mean it will be unusable?

It means that the WiFi system will operate on US frequencies.  The way I read it, 5G WiFi frequencies in the US are similar to frequencies in India. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#India , with the main difference being the higher frequencies are marked as "Yes" in North America a "Indoors" for India.  Page 139 of the User Manual specifies which frequencies are used in the US vs. Europe.  (This is a bit confusing since many products identify frequencies in more detail (Japan, Russia, etc. etc.)

As you already have them, I'd say, "Go for it."

Message 5 of 9
2squared
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess my only issue is with the power supply; though many posts seem to indicate that the adapter does support 100-240V, but its just mislabeled. Wonder if its worth a try using the included adapter.

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

If you use an adapter, there is zero chance of anything going wrong 'power-wise'.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

sorry, I read that wrong.  Using the US power supply with a voltage/plug converter is 100% safe.

Using only a plug converter might be exciting.

Message 8 of 9
2squared
Aspirant

Heh heh...might be worth a try if I'm feeling especially adventurous 😄 .

Looking at the forums; some people have succeeded, so might be a shot in the dark, I guess.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7